Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by kimokalihi »

Definitely going to need camber plates if you're lowering or adjustable control arms or trailing arms if that's what they're called.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Why would I need all that? I would only go a little lower than what it is now....I live in RI for christ's sake if I slammed a car here it would be ruined by our shitty roads in a matter of months.

I can show you how it sits now and why i'd only drop it at most another 1.5"

got the new snowflakes on...still needs paint of course

front
rear

and after a ride and the suspension settling

looks pretty decent, I always loved the snowflakes and I knew they would look excellent on the 1st gen legacy, better than on the GT legacies IMO.

I might also be grabbing a set of 07 silver STi BBS rims....along with some 114.3 adapters of course >:)
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You may be fine. Looks like you didn't lower it much. I was saying you'd need either camber plates or adjustable arms to adjust camber. You can try the camber bolts too for adjustment 1.25* camber adjustment.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I really like the ride height i have with my sti struts and springs.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

yeah this WAS supposed to be the plan, but now I had to grab something else for a temporary setup or if my wife likes the teins i'll keep em and get the dampening motors and the controller and it will be badass as fuck....

This would have been perfect if I had known to grease the struts before I installed them but that's life...

I am also getting some binding in the steering wheel, it gets tight randomly while driving or under any condition...not sure but maybe the whole rack is turning because of the worn oil soaked bushings....maybe it needs the outer tie rods...or maybe an entirely new rack...

on a side note my RS now makes this popping noise when the wheel is turned at slow speeds..not like a ball joint pop either. Its more like a "thwong" and it reverberates for a second....never heard that before....sucks because the plan was to drive the RS while working on the SS......and now they both have steering issues...
matt00rs25
First Gear

Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by matt00rs25 »

Sounds like the strut bearing is binding. Needs new strut tops.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

The front struts are v7 take offs they look brand brand new, but you never know
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

next :)
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Do you have positive camber on that rear wheel or is it just the way the picture was taken?

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

oh no it def has positive camber in the rear, it is because the bushings in the lateral links are so toasted that you can't even adjust the rear at all!, it's ok though I have an entire rear end for this beast. :)

I just looked at the controller I got for the BCS, and even though it was cheap, it is fricken awesome. I can have the controller trigger intercooler sprayer under certain conditions; like hitting whatever you set to be max boost, or once a certain psi has been met or a few other different specs. Seems like it is pretty versatile for a no name ebcs.

I a probably going to start getting some wiring diagrams together so I can tackle this all in one shot. Last thing I really need is to get one more silicone pipe for my intercooler setup, a 90* 2" to 1.75" turbo outlet pipe
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Well whoever said bearing plate was right, but for the wrong car lol. The RS's passenger side bearing mount is not rotating with the rest of the assembly, so the spring is rotating and the top plate is not...most likely due to some dirt getting inside the coilover bearing.

Anyone ever take apart a coilover before? Do you need to compress the spring before dissasembly? They look like once they are unloaded from weight they would come right apart no prob.....just don't want a bearing plate getting launched into my face if you do need a spring compressor

I think the Legacy's issue is with air entering the system through the leak in the rack itself (leaking at rubber bellows) It is intermittent and I have a steering rack from an 01 RS I am going to try. Anyone know for sure if it will fit?
matt00rs25
First Gear

Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by matt00rs25 »

Haha. I win
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There will probably be some preload on the coil overs. If you mark where the lower perch stop/bolt ring is at, you could just loosen that further to relieve all the preload.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

yeah about that...i got these used so I don't have the wrenches.... I did spray some PB in the top of the ball joint and it loosened it up a bit, much easier to have it spin in the joint. Although now it pops even more.

The RS needs an alignment really bad anyway though so maybe i'll call stance and see if I can order a wrench set from them. The bearing probably just ran out of grease, I am guessing #2 grease is fine for these, just wish I had a split view so I could see how to break em down the right way.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

1 week I have to get this done...time to work

Jesus bolt giving me trouble
got the nut off but the actual bolt does not want to budge...gonna hafta get the torch on it.

1 coilover down...still need to get some spanner wrenches to adjust them though

kept having to check the area while taking a break to make sure no mullet having roustabouts steal my tools
damn roustabouts.....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that bolt is probably rusted to the spindle. So you could try whacking the open end with a big hammer to see if that dislodges it......that and some heat would probably help.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I beat on it with a sledge all day today...not a cm of movement, I sprayed it down and decided to work on the other side. Heat would probably get it no prob but on the driver's side I have a fuel leak so yeah....no bueno. I will try the pass side to see how a torch will work over there...but that is the only major hold up.

I also have a prob with the trailing arms....the 3 bolts on the bracket, I got them loose but the bracket will not drop the bolts also don't come out all the way they are loose but almost as if there is a washer on the other side of the bracket that is preventing them from coming down....I tried prying on it to no avail...not sure what is up with that but it does worry me...like the part they were threaded into broke and now they are just free balling in there...I can't re thread them in either :(
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

very nice xise... car has come along way.
xise wrote:Image
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

You should black out the chrome.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

xise wrote:I also have a prob with the trailing arms....the 3 bolts on the bracket, I got them loose but the bracket will not drop the bolts also don't come out all the way they are loose but almost as if there is a washer on the other side of the bracket that is preventing them from coming down....I tried prying on it to no avail...not sure what is up with that but it does worry me...like the part they were threaded into broke and now they are just free balling in there...I can't re thread them in either :(

Yeah, the welded nut might have come loose, but I would say the odds of all three coming loose are probably slim....but anything can happen.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I think the last one I took off made it, how hard are these to weld in new ones...looks sort of tight in there...

decided to just go ahead and cut these loose...nothing was budging on this side...sooo it had to go

someone came by to keep me company

and these little guys.....I am pretty worried about these little guys.....Image
any tips to getting to these, the torch is kinda going a little close to the gas tank over here and is right on a brake line for the other one so impact and penetrating oil are my only hope I guess....I really hope these will come out without being murderously terrible...at this point I don't want to break any more bolts.

The Subaru bolts came in at the dealer today, I just gotta pick em up :D
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Geez, what you guys in rust states put up with terrifies me. If I lived somewhere over there, I would never want to work on my own cars.

I guess I'm saying you need to move over here and buy a PNW Subaru instead. :P :lol:
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

after 20yrs of winters. its gonna happen. i got lucky on my 93ss, but im putting in TSS subframes anyway.
but some cars are just not as lucky as others.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If those bolts just spin, you're just going to have to cut an access hole to get at the welded nut that came loose. I don't see any other way around it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

sqc151 wrote:very nice xise... car has come along way.
xise wrote:
Thanks Mark...it has been quite the journey indeed...
Alphius wrote:You should black out the chrome.
I was actually thinking of re-chroming the front bumper to keep it factory...I might actually get it painted gloss black or bring it back to white like it was from the factory...just a pain to paint the inside of the door seams and the insides of the doors....it would be easier to pain the inside of the driver's door black and the rest of the car black.

We will have to see when I drop the rear x member how rusty everything is....I might unearth some bad news....any tips for breaking those bolts loose?? I really don't want to break any of these bolts, I did order new ones but I really don't want to be cutting anything out and welding in nuts...It is sort of too close to the gas tank to break the torch out...I just don't feel good with that and I like living so I decided to let it soak and have at it tomorrow.....wish me good luck.