Can we determine the limit of efficiency for the AWIC?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

ciper wrote:A front mount would be better suited for continous high speed. Some of you may be shocked but I think that MY92 would be better off with a FMIC and not an air water unit :!:
omg!!! :lol:

but isn't that kinda the point we were trying to make, different needs = different set-ups? :D i'm sure rsstiboy falls into the fmic category for his needs, and with the amount of time i spend at the track the same goes for me (tmic) :)
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

i hardly ever do track work, i've noticed a difference even in stop start traffic in city driving, its once it gets hot that you really notice it, its more so the boost level i'm running on my TD05, I need that charge cool enough so when i do get it tuned i can run more timing because the air will be cooler. hence i'll be making more power than what i possibly could with a tmic. but if was to say run 15psi on my old VF12, i'd stay with the tmic water/air. i suppose it'll depend on what turbo and boost level and how you want to drive the thing, personally just looking at the saab intercoolers i can see how they would heat up very quickly, especially with the rs scoop. better than nothing but spend the extra money and get something that will work properley.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
FG!!
Second Gear

Post by FG!! »

from what i've heard, radiators are not "sized" using equations for any certain application. it's all rule of thumb stuff--fit the largest radiator that you can witout having packaging problems and the radiator should have a total heat loss of one third the power output. I'd imagine intercoolers ae the same way. heat transfer coefficient estimations for compact heat exchangers are too inaccurate and require testing, so might aswell just test it at the full system level.
92ss, 66bsa thunderbolt, 92miata, 06wrx