what do you do?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Marbles
In Neutral

Post by Marbles »

to get us back on track, i work for Southern States Subaru in the parts department in Boone, North Carolina... hopefully i'll get bumped up to sales soon, cause my hourly wage sucks as a parts man :)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I could care less about 1/4 mile performance. I don't plan on going to a dragstrip ever.

I don't know if being on boost longer means you accellerate more. I'm sure there's a point where having a shorter gear will overcome the lack of boost just as I'm sure there's a point where having a lot of boost will overcome a taller gear.

I'm wanting the straight cut sound. :)

Is installing a PPG set any more difficult than installing an OEM set?

7 g's is a lot of money. I'm not sure if it's worth it to do this actually.

All the off-topic-ness that goes on on these forums is nothing compared to this. Our conversation still relates to Phil's job. Look at how many posts are asking for more information about Greg's(I think that's his name) stripper job, or joking with Vikash, in this thread no less. And besides, this is the ashtray. If we can't go OT here, where can we? It's not like someone needs this kind of information to repair their car.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I don't think anyone was trying to be rude. There's nothing wrong with bringing a chat back in line is there? :smile:
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Matt- LOL at "get a room."

Marbles - I have friends that live in boone. How far are you from grandfather mountain?

Thawa - Good call!

Yes I will say that some of the strippers on the site are fake but there are 4 rachels locations and they put the best of all the girls on the site.

A few years ago one of the orlando locations got busted for prostitution. They were charging people $300+ for steak dinners but in actuality they were....how they say "getting their freak on."

A curious wife got suspicious and called the cops. They did an under cover sting operation and most of the girls and the club owner went to jail for soliciting. I know all this because the bartender (female) was a "friend" of mine at the time.
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I know all this because the bartender (female) was a "friend" of mine at the time.
Friend as in, you were *&^$ing her? :grin:
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

1) I've lived in FL my whole life, and have been 18 or over for almost 4 years now, and have yet to go to Rachel's :roll:

2) I seriously don't understand why people can't chill the fuck out. Does every thread on this board have to have a pissing match in it somewhere??? It's not even depressing anymore, it's just annoying...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Subyluvr - Do you want to go to Rachels?
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Aw shit, you mean I missed the pissing match?
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

It really wasn't a pissing match. Just a misunderstanding.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

if im ever in florida ill know where to get my steak dinner. ;)
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

If you are even in FL I will buy you your steak dinner.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Jesus, I was totally joking. Talk about chilling out. Boohoo, whine ,whine.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

THAWA wrote:I could care less about 1/4 mile performance. I don't plan on going to a dragstrip ever.
I notice great versatility leaps with the taller gears as well, even on the street and in auto-X. I wouldn't be doing it, if I didn't see the advantages.

I guess the biggest thing I'd need to know is your actual intent for the car. If you think you'll need whatever ratios you think you'll need, it's an expensive decision to make, and there is no return policy.
I don't know if being on boost longer means you accellerate more. I'm sure there's a point where having a shorter gear will overcome the lack of boost just as I'm sure there's a point where having a lot of boost will overcome a taller gear.
Compare a KAAZ straight cut synchro set with a PPG straight cut synchro set. With the KAAZ set, you cruise at 80 @5000 RPM and can't go past 120mph, nor are you in gear long enough to spool a big turbo. You'll redline 5th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile. With the PPG set, 3rd goes to just about 120, and you are in gear long enough to spool a turbo and be on-max-boost for a good bit of time. 2 shifts vs 4 shifts.
I'm wanting the straight cut sound. :)
Once I finish my transmission I'll take some sound clips from inside the car. I bet it'll make you cry. Straight cut dog box with no real sound deadening to speak of. It'll be sweet... and annoying I bet.
Is installing a PPG set any more difficult than installing an OEM set?
Yes. The synchro sets will not fit in the Legacy case, but the dog sets will. The dog sets require lots of modification of the case to get in, and require modding of several other peices for it to go together. The synchro set in a WRX case is almost drop in, but how much are you going to save by crap-shooting the install with a back yard shop and having the #1 dealer of PPG gears in the world build the transmission for you?
7 g's is a lot of money. I'm not sure if it's worth it to do this actually.
7G's parts only.
All the off-topic-ness that goes on on these forums is nothing compared to this. Our conversation still relates to Phil's job. Look at how many posts are asking for more information about Greg's(I think that's his name) stripper job, or joking with Vikash, in this thread no less. And besides, this is the ashtray. If we can't go OT here, where can we? It's not like someone needs this kind of information to repair their car.
Word.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Marbles
In Neutral

Post by Marbles »

subawhatsubawho wrote: Marbles - I have friends that live in boone. How far are you from grandfather mountain?
about 30 minutes away from Grandfather... i acually live right outside Boone, on the 105 Bypass.. you know where Caldwell College is? I'm right next to that.
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

subawhatsubawho kissing some tail(pipe):

:lol:

http://www.blackls.homestead.com/files/Picture_007.jpg

I am a HS Senior, currently othewise unemployed. Thinking about employment after Cross Country is over :)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

It didn't sound like you were joking Matt, but if you say you were then don't mind what I said.

Phil, you're a great salesman, but I'm not going to pay someone else to build a tranny for me unless it involves something I absolutely cannot do myself. Such as welding.

After factoring final drive the standard PPG set isn't that bad actually. If I go with a 4.444 final it will be only marginaly (barely noticable) slower than an RS tranny in 1-4, but I'll need a real tall 5th to keep the revs down. It'll still be faster than any other 4.111 tranny.

I wouldn't buy a KAAZ set, the ratios are way too high. It seems like it should be a 6mt with the way the ratios are.

I'm getting very close to turning this into a track car. But since going custom is way too expensive I'll only be doing a standard set when I'm ready.

If it sounds anything like DRS20T's car from aussieland I'm sure I will cry.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

subawhatsubawho wrote:If you are even in FL I will buy you your steak dinner.

sweet, steak.

ill have a side of honeydew and roast beef with that please :smt047
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You work at a Subaru dealership, so you may have the tools available and you certaintly could do it yourself.

I just usually don't recomend it. The only reason I am building mine, is because the #1 tranny builder in the country is going to be building a similar gearbox right next to me.

Saddly, my dogbox won't be a PPG unit right now.

DRS20T's box? Not sure I've heard of him or it.

If you want, I'll get you a sound clip from inside a WRX with a PPG Straight cut synchro box so you can get a general idea. I'll use my camera phone and shift at 6500 if you want a feel for speed-in-gear and acceleration.

Can you PM me my password for the FTP we set up? I thought I had it, but it wouldn't work.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

subawhatsubawho wrote:Subyluvr - Do you want to go to Rachels?
As broke as I am, the last thing I should be thinking about is a strip club :roll:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Would you go if you got in free and drank for free?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

THAWA wrote:It didn't sound like you were joking Matt, but if you say you were then don't mind what I said.
I really was joking. The last line is from scenes/clips in films, songs ect.. where a bar is getting closed down. "You don't have to go home but ya got to get the hell out of here!" It was a quote. Sorry, I'm having a bad day and maybe it was a poor attempt at humor.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

"You don't have to go home but you can't stay here!"

"Go back to the places you will be from!"

"This is Casey KAsem, keep your feet on the ground, keep reaching for the sky, and keep your dick in your pants. Good night everybody, now drink up and get the fuck out!"

Closing time for a bouncer is the best part of the day for 3 reasons.

1. It's when all the fights happen so most likely you will get to kick a little ass.

2. Almost time to leave!

3. You get to walk the strippers to their cars.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Hardy - When you are ready, I'll get you the best price in the country.

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Thanks.

snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

BAC5.2 wrote:

Once I finish my transmission I'll take some sound clips from inside the car. I bet it'll make you cry. Straight cut dog box with no real sound deadening to speak of. It'll be sweet... and annoying I bet.
Great, now cops REALLY WILL notice your car. :razz:
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door