EJ22T Rebuild

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

EJ22T Rebuild

Post by magicmike »

Hello Everyone,

I just bought a 94 legacy touring wagon from a salvage yard for 150 bucks! the turbo appears to be blown as well as the rings in the #1 cylinder. I am having the motor rebuilt as we speak (or as I type actually) and I was wondering if anyone knew how much boost this engine can handle on the stock pistons? I have looked into forged but I'd rather not buy them if I wont need them. I plan to use the stock turbo or maybe upgrade it slightly. With regard to the stock turbo, how much boost will that thing put out? Thanks alot, and I'm glad I found this message board. No longer will I feel alone in the quest for a hot rod grocery getter!

Mike
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mike, you may want to take a look over at the BC-BF list on yahoo....we moved over here because of yahoo's bulky and annoying interface.

I've sorta put myself in charge of sifting through all the posts and trying to get all the relavant good information on this board in some archival form.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BC-BFLegacyWorks/

You should be fine on stock pistons, and boost....people are running up to one bar on regular daily basis. Biggest flaw or problem with these engines is they don't have an intercooler. Which is what you really need if you wanna go more boost.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've heard from a few sources that the stock cast pistons are good for 250-300hp, if the engine is managed right.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

well, can I get 250 to 300 hp on the factory turbo with relatively minor upgrades, or are we talking larger turbo and huge perf. upgrades?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

ummmm......hello out there :?: I still havent decided if I should get forged pistons. Can some one help me out with my previous question in the above post?
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

You might want to look at our discussion at the intercooler forum at 13lbs boost w/o intercooler. It is possible with very good engine management to get 300hp or a little better but I would say that probably means a lot of performance ad-ons. The cooler and therefore denser charge in to the cyl, fuel amount, timing,octane all mix in to determine the limits before detonation and that is a real limit on power.
AL(CO)
serious
In Neutral

Post by serious »

You didn't mention what the engine is going to be installed in. If it's a newer legacy (95-99) then the new age wrx intercooler will fit with little issue. Considering the newer wrx turbo will bolt right in and let you use this intercooler i would go for the combo. The two turbos are about equal.
As of right now i don't know of any forged pistons off the shelf for this engine. You'll have to figure out what you want and get some made. This will cost you from 400-600 bux.
I've read that the stock internals are good for 300 horsepower but that was just an estimate...not proven. I don't see why it wouldn't be though.
Did you buy a rebuild kit or just piece one together? I'm currently in the process of looking into rebuilding my ej22g engine and would like to know what all is out there.
Are you going to port the head out any? What about borring the cyclinders?
Does anyone know for sure through experience what the stock heads on this engine are good for? I'm shooting for 250 crank on mine and need to know if i'll make it or not the on the stock heads!
Brent
Brent2401@yahoo.com
96 ls with turbo 2.2 in the works
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah, you should be able to hit that just fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm