Different Air Intake...

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BADWGN
In Neutral

Different Air Intake...

Post by BADWGN »

Hey all, im new 2 the forums. Ive got a 90 GT Wagon, ive had it for 7 months, and im lovin it, so far all ive done was put mages and tyres on, new springs and ive had a group A chip installed. Car looks nice and goes real well.

Ive got 3 projects on atm. maybe i shud stick 2 1, and then id get them done faster, but hey.

Modify the stock Airbox. was thinking of snorkeling it, and/or ive got WRX bonnet vents, and i want to rig them up and make them usefull, as if i can figure something out, it will "ram" air throught the filter....hopefully. then just fingers crossed the turbulant air wont stuff the Sensor.

New shock absorbers.

Short shift gear lever...

Have any of u done anything different, like not along the snorkel idea, or have any suggestions to me, i will post pics up as i get them done.

cheers, Michael
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

The only airbox mod I know of on this board was done by Legacy777, but he just ran an additional pipe to feed the box.

There was another member on this board that built a variable-flow intake, or something along those lines. I think the name of the post was called "overengineered intake design" or somethin like that.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I wouldn't be surprised if that was vrg3 who made the "overengineered intake" just to find out MORE about our cars, lol.

I know of 2 air-box mods.

1 is the stock-box-CAI. Pull the snorkus. Run a pipe to the fender. Seal with a rubber gasket to isolate the pipe from any ambient bay temperatures.

The second is from my Jeep days (during which, I was going to buy a Jeep (94 5.2L Grand Cherokee Limited, hence the BAC5.2 but the Suby took over my soul). You basically pull the stock air box, then cut out the sides, leaving the corners in tact to act as a support.

The first is a good idea. The second isn't really a good idea (as you are just sucking hot engine bay temperature. It was good for Jeeping because MORE hot air was better than less hot air when you were crawling along in 4-lo).

A ram-air isn't really going to work with the stock box setup. A custom jobby could be fabbed up, but there wouldn't really be any performance gain. There are to many bends in the stock system to see any real gains from a ram-style setup. From what it appears, it's just a matter of reducing restriction (snorkus) to help flow. Unless you rebuild the intake, a ram style setup won't help a whole lot.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Heh, no, I know little enough about our pre-MAF intake that I've left it well enough alone.

Here's the thread though:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=459
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

BAC5.2 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if that was vrg3 who made the "overengineered intake" just to find out MORE about our cars, lol.
Hehe, vrg3 would be classified as the overachieving engineer :P
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

i have a pod filter inside my front guard with 3" pipe all the way to the turbo.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
Finn1
In Neutral

Post by Finn1 »

Hei BADWGN,

I am finishing a mod to my airbox, it resembles the box from a '96 Legacy. I don't have any newer Legacies to look at but, it might be worth looking into taking the airbox, pipe from a newer car and test fitting. This would give you straighter shot to the throttle body, then snorkify, do L777's mod and the K&N panel.

My car is a '90 5spd FWD sedan and with my temp. install (no-mug) there is noticable mid range torque improvement. I'll be posting images in a couple of days.

Good luck.

If it ain't broke, fix it til it is.
If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Finn1
In Neutral

Post by Finn1 »

I have finished the mod on my n/a airbox and it is installed. Using the coffee mug mod it works great!

Check the imagine in "Intake-familiar intake" under THAWA's last post.

I swear I can feel a small mid-range improvement in torque!

http://thawa.net/images/legacy/finn1/

I'll be submitting more as time goes on this summer.

Have fun all.

Todd
If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is!
BADWGN
In Neutral

Progress...

Post by BADWGN »

2 of those 3 projects listed above are done.

i put some shocks in, Straight out of a 95 WRX STi RA - they are really good, car drives real well now, handles mean @ high speed.

Ive done the short shioft lever as described in the library, its all good, its a bit chunky but better, and alot better than paying 600 NZD for the sti assembly.

Now ive just had a WRX bonnet scoop installed, looking REAL REAL nice, and the vents are getting done.im gonna cut what i can out of the bonnet, cant cut it all as some of the structural requirements are right where i want them. im gonna try and cut the airbox in half, so the filter is visible, and flip it so the filter is topside, filtered half of the airbox is down. Coldairbox out of stainless / alloy, what ever works best, and a hell of alot of New Zealand No.8 Wire mods to make everything work. the snorkel mod is going to happen as well. more air the better right.

this is gonna be a fair bit of work, but ill post pics asap. ill post some pics of my current setup 2 :)

Thanx for all the feedback on previous things, u guys r the shizzle
laterz all
90 Legacy GT Wagon
Low, Midnight Blue on Mak Stings
MSN : muz_is@hotmail.com