Turbo Legacy Arrived And Its Beat

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Turbo Legacy Arrived And Its Beat

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

My 91 turbo legacy came today and its got problems. Aside from suspension squeeks and other indicaitons that struts and top mounts need to be replaced, brakes and possibly a wheel bearing or cv joint as well I am a little worried about the motor. Basically it runs pretty well idling at 1000 rpm and accelerates fairly smoothly until you try and stomp on it. Then it chokes. I wouldn't call it a hesitation but more like a lost zeal for life:? My 95 impreza with slush boxed NA 2.2 feels worlds more snappy then the 5spd turbo Legacy. I plan to do a tune up with plugs/wires/fuel filter/air filter/oil change and hope this takes car of it. Honestly when you do try and get into it, it doesn't backfire or ping so I'm hoping nothing is wrong with it. I put some good gas in it and plan to reset the ecu when I do the tune up this weekend.

Any of you guys have any ideas?

Brad
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Some TLC should take care of it. If there is no noise in the head, or noise in the bottom end and the compression checks out. It should be fine. New gas, and ECU reset, and some flogging should clear it up. Check for vacuum leaks, too. Get a boost gauge in there. And replace all that stuff you mentioned (along with the PCV valve.)
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

Compression test is one I forgot. I'll borow the plug adapter and guage from my uncle.

Someone else had mentioned cleaning the MAF. Any hints on how to do this?

Brad
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

thats why you got it cheap !!!

seriously, doing what you said will likely make the difference, it sounds like there may be a miss at higher RPM, who knows what the plugs look like. When I got my Legacy just a few hours under the hood made a giant difference, its run like a top since. The suspension bits will take more time and money but a weekend and $700 well spent will have that all fixed up as well.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

There are 2 things I wouldn't mess with unless you absolutely had to.... the MAF and IAC valve. Don't touch that unless doing everything else doesn't work... and then try the other stuff again before you go screwing with that ;)
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
MY99 2.5GT
First Gear

Post by MY99 2.5GT »

Professor - How'd you know I got it cheap ?
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

just a guess :D
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car