STI group N tranny and engine mounts.

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

STI group N tranny and engine mounts.

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Love 'em! I gotta say that bang for the buck that they're a 9 out of 10!

My engine would actually shake on the stock mounts and I could physically shake it side to side around 3-4 inches. I can now shake it 0, nadda, not happening. It's completely solid. I love it!

The tranny mount is tits too. It actually made my shifting snappier and much more solid feeling. Now I dop still need new shifter bushings but OMG the difference is amazing!

Anyways, if you haven't already, I recommend that everyone switch over to these mounts. They're pretty cheap and it's easy to do. Well worth it IMO.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

It's my next mod. :D I've been waiting patiently, saving.. looking. I know I want 'em. Too bad they don't make an AT mt, though. :( I need to see if I could use the 2pc 5mt mount, instead..
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: STI group N tranny and engine mounts.

Post by scottzg »

legacy92ej22t wrote:My engine would actually shake on the stock mounts and I could physically shake it side to side around 3-4 inches.
Something was wrong.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: STI group N tranny and engine mounts.

Post by legacy92ej22t »

scottzg wrote:
legacy92ej22t wrote:My engine would actually shake on the stock mounts and I could physically shake it side to side around 3-4 inches.
Something was wrong.
Heh, not really. The stock mounts are pretty soft and at 140k miles and 13 years old they were extra soft. I inspected the mounts when I pulled them and they are in good shape, they're just really soft. 3-4 inches might be a slight exaggeration too but it could definitely be moved around. Phil saw me do it once and we laughed our asses off. I'm also freakishly strong so that might have something to do with it too. :D

The new mounts are super rigid.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Yea, shook Matts engine and the engine shook in the car. Shook my engine, and the car shook with it. It was funny.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I ended up just getting the 2.5RS mounts from Matt Monson, they are much stiffer than the gel mounts i had in there before.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

168k miles, nearly 16 years and I don't have that much freeplay in my engine mounts. Your old ones must've been really bad
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

You're all just weak I say, WEAK!
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

yeah, okay He-man
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Where could I get said mounts.? Are they hard to come by? About how much?
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

uh-oh.. i get to refer someone again!

too bad you're in canadia.. :(

www.allsubaru.com -> Search -> Group N Mounts

$55+change each. Cheapest, I've seen.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Cool, thanks, I will check it out and see what I can do.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

One of my engine mounts came out in two pieces. :)

The sti mounts are amazing. I agree, definately worth the buy.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Just a note of interest (which others have noted - after searches I did post instal/destal)

I recently installed the hardened tranny mount ('93 SS) - went in easy, but it raised the tranny/engine about .25". This caused my exhaust (3" CES TB) to hit the rear tranny x-member And touch the drive shaft :o

moral of the story: if you have an aftermarket exhaust, the hardened mounts may cause some issues for you.

I'm gonna sell the mount (I bought it used but never installed, now with 100mi on it) and try my hand at a DIY "harder" mount that will retain the stock compression characteristics.
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hmm, really? I have the CES TBE too and didn't really have a problem with the exhaust at all. I noticed that the entire engine seems to sit about .25" closer to the firewall though. That kind of made it harder to fit my TMIC. I ended up having to pound my firewall in a little which I din't have to do originaly.

Good luck with the custom mount.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

farfrumwork wrote:Just a note of interest (which others have noted - after searches I did post instal/destal)

I recently installed the hardened tranny mount ('93 SS) - went in easy, but it raised the tranny/engine about .25". This caused my exhaust (3" CES TB) to hit the rear tranny x-member And touch the drive shaft :o

moral of the story: if you have an aftermarket exhaust, the hardened mounts may cause some issues for you.

I'm gonna sell the mount (I bought it used but never installed, now with 100mi on it) and try my hand at a DIY "harder" mount that will retain the stock compression characteristics.
I recently installed the Gp. N transmission mount. It caused my exhaust to touch the drive shaft. I have a stock WRX turbo back modified to fit the Legacy. I removed a couple exhaust hangers and found enough clearance. I'll have some adjustments made so that it's solid, but as a temporary solution it's working fine.

The STi mount is such an improvement I would not consider going back to the old one. I recommend that you put some effort into getting your CES to clear with the STi mount.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

well, my CES is much more loved than the Group-N mount... and about 35x mo' $. I will be moding a stock mount with urethane in the future, so I will have a hardened mount eventualy

I would not roll around with my exhaust partly connected. The CES is SO solidly and perfectly hung for the tightest fit to the underside of the car as is. I know it would sway and hit other things under there - drive shaft included - as I'm flying around corners and over bumps and whatnot. Anyway the x-member interference would not be rectified with loose hangers. I would need to notch it to clear. (the 3" TB is quite a bit larger than a wrx stocker)

thanks though. I'll post when I get my DIY mod'd mount done.

-Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Chad- I understand completely, I just wanted to encourage anyone who reads this to make extra effort to make use of the hardened mounts- be they Group N or custom. It really makes a significant improvement.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Finally installed Group N engine mounts.... what a PITA. Accessing the rear bolts between the block and the crossmember really sucked. But the results are great. Certainly worth the effort. I'm now running Group N engine mounts, Group N transmission mount, and Whiteline rear diff. bushings. Very solid.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I have the CES exhaust and the sti mounts for the engine and the tranny. It has caused some issues here and there, but I've dealt with them, and advise to deal with them, but keep the sti mounts. You won't regret it.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

What does it take to install these?
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Engine mounts:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showth ... readid=545

Transmission mount:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showth ... ansmission

I did both of them in my car port with the car up on ramps, using normal hand tools. The transmission mount is easier. The hardest part of the motor mount job is reaching the nuts between the block and the subframe while the engine is slightly jacked up. A frustrating and time consuming task. Also, removing the old mounts, which are larger than the STi mounts, required some bending or removal of heat shields around the headers on the passenger side.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

1) Are the engine mounts that dealers sell as a "Subaru Performance Parts" pretty decent? (I know it's a rip off and possibily not as good as GrN, but I have Subaru bucks I have to spend so it's free to me)

D1010FE120 - STI Engine Mount (F) LH

2) If I have a performance exhaust that's pretty close to rubbing on the cross member, would you guess I might have to take the downpipe off in order to jack the engine high enough?
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
yazmo
Third Gear

sti enginne and tranny

Post by yazmo »

what year of what model can be use on a legcay 94 turbo?
any link where i can find them for cheap
thx in advacnce.