GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATED

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

10wrxing
First Gear

Re: GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATE

Post by 10wrxing »

Awesome!
Thanks for your help!
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Okay, I'm confused. I feel like I'm finding conflicting information on whether new front spring perches are needed for 02-07 WRX front springs. I know that for the rear, you need 90/91 style perches for 04-07, and 02-03 will work with stock style ones.

For my suspension I'm looking to get a set of STI Version 6 inverted struts (direct bolt-on), and RCE 04-07 WRX wagon springs. At first it seemed like I'll only need new rear perches (or there is apparently a spacer that let's you run the tapered spring on the wider perch design for 02-03 WRXs, I assume that would also work on my car). But for the front I feel like half of what I read says the springs are a direct fit, other posts say to use Impreza front perches.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I used my stock 92, legacy tophats with 02-03 Wrx springs and Sti strut setup. And it worked. Just don't forget to use the included washers on the fronts, or they'll bind up when you turn.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

There is so much banter In this thread. Can someone please tell me what coilovers will fit on my 93 wagon? Thanks so much!!
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Front & Rear bumper Chrome Trim
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Coilovers designed for the 1st generation impreza will fit your wagon if its AWD.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Ok got questions for u guys...does anyone know what the spring rates of the various available springs are? I have available to me a set of 2009 wrx struts and springs assembled and would love to know how they might work on my 91 legacy wagon or is that even possible? Any ideas?
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

I would love to lower the 91 wagon about an inch and wonder if the 09 wrx stuff would give me lower, stiffer and better damped than stock springs on gr2 struts...any thoughts?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

WRXish wrote:I would love to lower the 91 wagon about an inch and wonder if the 09 wrx stuff would give me lower, stiffer and better damped than stock springs on gr2 struts...any thoughts?
The 08 and newer impreza has multilink rear suspension, just like the 00 and newer legacy. So there's no way to make it work.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

The easiest option is 2004 sti struts and springs.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

mike-tracy wrote:
WRXish wrote:I would love to lower the 91 wagon about an inch and wonder if the 09 wrx stuff would give me lower, stiffer and better damped than stock springs on gr2 struts...any thoughts?
The 08 and newer impreza has multilink rear suspension, just like the 00 and newer legacy. So there's no way to make it work.
Thanks so much for verifying what I suspected...I am going to go back with the factory springs then and live with it. Not that big a deal to me. This car gets used as a tow vehicle, pickup truck and general hauling as well as civilized transportation, so stock ride height isnt a bad thing. I appreciate the feedback so I wont waste time trying to make something fit that wont. :) Many thanks for that
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Stock springs with brand new, application specific KYB struts made a world of difference in my daily driver. Its a wagon and i haul parts and people like you are talking about.
Fourtrack
In Neutral

Post by Fourtrack »

Eibach are reproducing prodrive p1 springs anyone fit p1 springs in legacy? With Kyb excel g struts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Fourtrack wrote:Eibach are reproducing prodrive p1 springs anyone fit p1 springs in legacy? With Kyb excel g struts.

I did those on my 92 Legacy SS, it has "ass sag" like you expect. They are now on my RS. On it, the Ride height is like stock, with 2004 STI struts. Handling is drastically improved.

After going through so many spring combos, I've just accepted that if you want an even front and rear end, you got to go with legacy specific springs. Such as H&R.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

mike-tracy wrote:
Fourtrack wrote:Eibach are reproducing prodrive p1 springs anyone fit p1 springs in legacy? With Kyb excel g struts.

I did those on my 92 Legacy SS, it has "ass sag" like you expect. They are now on my RS. On it, the Ride height is like stock, with 2004 STI struts. Handling is drastically improved.

After going through so many spring combos, I've just accepted that if you want an even front and rear end, you got to go with legacy specific springs. Such as H&R.
Or add a strut spacer to the rear.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

ok guys, I just gave up and did coilovers and whiteline sway bars and I love it. The car is well tied down, goes around corners like its on rails and ride comfort is somewhat compromised but not horrible. On good roads its quite pleasant. on rough roads use your mouthpiece lol. I went with Ksport coilovers for the street. 400ish inch pounds front, 270 inch pounds rear. Its a huge major improvement over stock. In fact, it handles better than my 09 WRX with the oh too pricey bilstein and spring combo.
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

hate to bring this back from the dead but what oem spring would work as a heavy duty spring on a 92 turbo wagon. i have some bad sagging do to my stereo set up. dont need a huge lift but enough to un tuck my rear tires lol
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What do you currently have on there now? Is it stock suspension or something else?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SabarKcirtap
In Neutral

Post by SabarKcirtap »

I'm sure this will be the nth time this thread has been revived, but I would like to pick a few brains. I am no longer single and in the military. I am married, have a daughter, and am the only income earner, so I am a modder on an extremely tight budget.

I have an AWD 1991 sedan. It will have 16x6.5 snowflake wheels off of a Legacy GT - I'm not sure what tire size, yet, though. Currently on stock suspension

I'd like to go as low as I can for as inexpensive as I can. Can anyone offer insight as to the best way to accomplish that?

This will eventually be a daily/ beater, but I have a lot of work to do, first - starting with moar low.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Cheapest way would be cut springs lol. Doesn't cost anything. On a more serious note I used 04-07 STI springs and I was scraping on driveways and speed bump wherever I went.

Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Re: GD/GG Impreza (WRX/STi) springs on BC/BF/BJ cars: UPDATED

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

I'm bringing this thread back to life!

I read through the OP a few times and I don't see much about the front springs.

Well here's the situation:
About seven years ago I purchased some "02-03 WRX lowering springs" for my 93 FWD. When I received them, the front springs were tapered. They did not fit my OEM top perch. The rears fit fine as they were not tapered. I was a bit caught off guard as it was my understanding that no 02-03 WRX springs were tapered, front or rear. I thought about sending them back, but a buddy of mine is pretty good with a welder and we modified the strut perch to accept the taper. Which years of WRX had tapered front springs? I'm wondering if the seller mixed up the 02-03 WRX fronts with a different year.
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy