Difference between the shifter versions?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

n2x4
Fourth Gear

Difference between the shifter versions?

Post by n2x4 »

I've been reading up a lot on the shifter and the mods for it, and I noticed that my shifter is different than the others. I did some searching of the boards to find out what all is different, but I can't come up with anything. So far what I see is that in 90 and 91, the 5 speed cars had a shifter that was 2 part, where after that it was one solid piece. Also, where the shifter connected to the linkage is in the center of the old shifter, and on the later revision it was connected to the bracket on the front of the shifter (which has been modded and moved lower on the shifter for a short shift mod).

My question is, besides the two shifters being built different, are there any other differences? Can they be swapped out or is there more to it. Any particular reason the shifters changed?

Reason I'm asking is because I would like to do the "Shift like a pro" mod that BAC5.2 posted and the short shifter mod, but I'm wondering if I'll have problems with compatibility. Can I just get a shifter from a 92-94 and shorten that one and change the bushings or is there more to it?
SUBARUEHS Racing
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

The shifter is different. The 89-91 uses a shifter similar to the later model shifters. But newer shifters are not the same.

You'd need to swap the whole linkage to the 92-94 linkage.

It'd be easier and faster to swap to a NEW style linkage and use a short shifter.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]