EJ22T head gasket on a 97 EJ25 DOHC?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

chayesfss
In Neutral

EJ22T head gasket on a 97 EJ25 DOHC?

Post by chayesfss »

Guys first off let me thank everyone for the great content provided here as it's been a great help dealing w/ my wifes subaru.

Just finished
clutch pack - junk yard sourced and working gread
Duty C j - junk yard sourced and working gread (pulled both of these items from a wreck with no wheels and paid 40 bucks for them)
ball joints
front brakes (new calipers included on drivers side)
wheel studs (man what a bear to pull through)
water pump
countless broken bolts :evil:

Got everything back together and it will still over heat sometimes so I'm guessing the damn HG's are gone:( Should have changed them last year when I had the engine out to pull that P.O.S. plastic oil separator :madrant:

Anyways now I'm going to have to order a new gasket kit (and figure out how to shim those valves while I'm at it) but am finding different information.

Will the EJ22T gasket fit, and if so does anyone think my wife might notice any extra power?

Phase 1, is this the gasket I should get or Phase 2?

Also has anyone had bad luck reusing the head bolts? It's turning into a high dollar repair and I'd like to save where I can without putting my family at risk.
napphappy
Second Gear

Post by napphappy »

Dont use Ej22t head gaskets, they will lower your compression and you will lose power.

Yes, reuse head bolts. Some may argue, but the factory service manual say nothing about replacing them. And its always very clear when you must not reuse something.

Its a Phase I head.

Also, the cheapest way to do the valves is to "butt" the top of the valve stem, or grind alittle off until you get the right clearances.
1997 White BG Ltd 5MT, EJ22T with Wiescos, EJ20R Heads, Two large dents R.I.P
1995 Impreza EJ22T DOHC Hydra EMS, 20g, EWG, 3in APS TBE, AWIC
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

there are specific ways to diagnose a bad head gasket, I wouldn't jump to that conclusion unless that's the problem beyond a doubt. The cooling system in Subarus can often be hard to burp for air. Make sure you use the vent on the radiator. Radiators in these cars often go bad or clogg up, the fans might not come on, themostat could be bad. Unless you're burning coolant or get exhaust through the cooling system, I wouldn't jump on the possability of a headgasket.

If you wanted to get a little more performance, I guess you gould run EJ25 SOHC head gaskets and just dremel out the coolant passeges a little to match the port on the head. (they are really close, but not perfect) This should bump compression up a tad, I'd have to do the math on how much though, it's probably not a whole lot.
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
chayesfss
In Neutral

Post by chayesfss »

Yes, no air in the cooling system, I changed the Rad 2 years ago and went through the same thing.

Burped for 2 days and tested. 100%

Water pump changed

Still tested and when the RPM's raise past 2.5-3.5k the thing starts overheating (IMHO presurizing the coolant passages) pretty bad. Also when ever the A/C is on and the car is cruising, bam instant overheat.

So imo it's too bad but it can't be anything else?