STi air filter

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

STi air filter

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yes, believe it or not, it works, and it works well!

I actually put it in before the Subaru Challenge, so I've been running with it for about 2 weeks to not only notice any changes as I go about my daily routine (I usually seem to notice something different when I'm not paying attention to it :roll: ), but I also wanted to see how it affected my gas mileage.

First off, the filter actually does give you some sound. That was noticed immediately. There's more sound under throttle, especially above 3500rpm, but it makes the most extra sound if you let off around 3500rpm. It resonates through the car loud enough that the loose trim piece by my windshield defogger on my dash will vibrate when this happens. And I still have my snorkus in too! No, it's not as loud as my cone filter was, but we've hashed over the issues with cone filters enough on this board.

I'm guessing it took a few days for the computer to compensate for the extra air coming through; I think I noticed a tiny bit more power right after putting it in. But after the Challenge, and driving it for the next week, I felt confident saying the filter added an extra 5-6hp. It really does make a noticeable difference, not just "Well, it feels a little bit faster..." :lol:

Yes, I have run a K&N panel filter before, and I don't remember it making this much of a difference. Granted, that was a long time ago, back when I was more dumb than I am now, and my car wasn't running as good as it is now. But I can say for sure that the K&N didn't make an obvious difference like the STi one does.

Gas mileage is also pretty much unaffected. I still average roughly 25mpg combined (remember, I still don't have working A/C).

Now I'm not so dumb to think that my car is going to blow any STi's away because of an air filter. That said, it might not be worth the $82.95 it costs list! :shock: But that's what you have discounts for (ahem, ahem :lol: )

Anyway, part number is ST165464S000, and it fits directly in place of any car that uses the air filter 16546AA020.
Last edited by entirelyturbo on Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Is it paper? How is the construction different than regular Subaru filter?

And good work using a discount to test out something pricey!
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

picture?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

It is paper on the in side, but steel mesh on the out side. No oiling or anything like that.

Of course this means once it gets dirty, I'm gonna hafta pitch it and be out a shitload of money, for an air filter at least :(

Maybe, if my camera miraculously cooperates like it hasn't been doing lately, I'll take a pic of it sitting in the airbox.

You can see the STi symbol on the out side, I think it's painted onto the steel mesh.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

5-6HP?

Sugar Pills
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

5-6 horsepower for 80 dollars for a MONTHS worth of use (mabey longer)
i'll stick with k&n
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

i find the benefit of the K&N is that it will last many 100k's of miles. Never need to replace it. And i don't re-oil them, i just knock the dirt out on the driveway. ran one in my CRX for 226k miles, never had to buy an airfilter again, and every car since then, i have purcased my K&N's from ajusa.com
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

Bheinen74 wrote:i find the benefit of the K&N is that it will last many 100k's of miles. Never need to replace it. And i don't re-oil them, i just knock the dirt out on the driveway. ran one in my CRX for 226k miles, never had to buy an airfilter again, and every car since then, i have purcased my K&N's from ajusa.com
+ infinity +1
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've been using a washable filter with my Cobb CAI since 2004. Cleaned it 3 times since, though I do need to do it more often, and I've still not used even half of the solvent or oil from one K&N kit.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
siouxbe
First Gear
Location: Lat. 40.02 North/ Long 105.25 West/ Elev. 5356 ft. People's Rep. of Boulder

Post by siouxbe »

If ya want the STi there are available cheaper
http://www.flatironstuning.com/shop/pc- ... ement.aspx
1991 Subaru Legacy BJ 2.2L/2.5LSTi Block Hybrid N/A w/ over 250,000 miles! 1992 Yamaha Seca II 2004 Dyna Super Glide My other car is a Go Kart Redhair...Black Leather...My favourite colour schemes. If it's not Scottish...it's Crap!