How long do you warm up your engine?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Trace
First Gear

How long do you warm up your engine?

Post by Trace »

Since my engine temp gauge is not moving, I've always wondered how long I have to spend on warming up every time I start my car even though I am already half an hour late for work. But hey its Canada, eh.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Just drive the car. Don't worry its fuel injected you know !!! In -31C my car starts just like a very hot day and I just go don't waste time warming up.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Trace
First Gear

Post by Trace »

ahha good to know nice thanks!
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yes, since your car is fuel-injected, it's really a waste of time and fuel to warm it up for any more than 30 seconds.

I usually let my engine run for about 15 to 20 seconds when I start it up in the morning. That gives the oil enough time to work into the engine.

However, do not, I repeat, do NOT start pushing the engine until it is up to operating temperature (when the temp gauge is sitting at halfway). No WOT, no going above 4k rpm, etc. These engines are aluminum, and beating on them when they're cold is a good way to wear them out prematurely.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
bmxpunk
Third Gear

Post by bmxpunk »

Yeah don't push it hard til its at operating temperature. I had two 05 Sti's in the shop both that punched the #1 rod straight through the block under the intake manifold. Talked with the subaru rep and he said its happening to guys with the ej257 who don't let the motor warm up before rodding them. of course thats the STi but still... safe/sorry.
2011 Mini Countryman S All4
1970 Honda Ct90
2001 Forester S of Doom - mowed down by a Cummins
1994/5/6/01/02/03/04/06/07/08 Impregacy OUtback SS STi Type R money pit- NEW RALLYCAR!!
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Yes, since your car is fuel-injected, it's really a waste of time and fuel to warm it up for any more than 30 seconds.

I usually let my engine run for about 15 to 20 seconds when I start it up in the morning. That gives the oil enough time to work into the engine.

However, do not, I repeat, do NOT start pushing the engine until it is up to operating temperature (when the temp gauge is sitting at halfway). No WOT, no going above 4k rpm, etc. These engines are aluminum, and beating on them when they're cold is a good way to wear them out prematurely.
+1 ^^^^
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I live near a highway so I've gunned it to near redline through 3rd when not up to temp hundreds of times. Mine is N/A, though, and I never gunned it when dead cold. I tried to keep it under 3k on high windchill neg degree day until it sounds happier and under 4k until the heat is up. Very little to no wear at 250k and I change the oil about every 10k with Mobil 1.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

Nevermind the coolant temp, oil temp is much more important to worry about. If you abuse it with coolant not up to temp you'll mess with the HG's. If you don't wait for the oil to get up to temp you'll mess with the already poor bottom end. Of course if you're abusing it while the coolant isn't up to temp it's a double whammy, but I'm just saying. Don't use the coolant temp as the time to drop the hammer gauge.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Damn but I am not eager to install an oil temp gauge. How much longer does oil usually take after coolant is warm? I do a lot of driving in freezing temps.....

side note: I ran Mobil 1 5W30 all year last winter included.... is that bad?
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
bny82
In Neutral

Post by bny82 »

I've always run my engines for about 30 seconds or start the car then go open the gates it takes that long for my 2006 liberty to come down from 2000rpm idle any way lol.
2006 2.0R Manual Sedan