2.5/2.2 build question

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

4subaru
In Neutral

2.5/2.2 build question

Post by 4subaru »

My engine wont start and I can't figure out why. I will do my best to explain everything i have done so far. I started out with a bone stock 90 legacy with an auto 2.2. I picked up a 96 2.5 out of a legacy. I replaced all the seals on the bottom end of the 2.5 then i bolted on my 2.2 heads, timing stuff and intake. I am using all the sensors that were orginally on my car.

As of right now the car cranks over and over, and it will kinda burp and try to fire but doesn't. I have check to makes sure i had good fuel pressure, spark, compression and i also reset the timing on the car. I put new spark plugs in as well, when i removed the old ones, i could smell a little gas on them, so i know it is getting fuel in the cylinders. Any help would be great. Thanks
Saskatoon Subaru
Second Gear

Post by Saskatoon Subaru »

check the timing, then check it again
2010 Impreza WRX - 265hp

1990 Legacy 267,000km(Rebuild complete 265,423km----March 9/2008)

1991 Legacy Turbo 180,000km
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

definitely sounds like a timing issue... I had the same problem after building my engine.. I finished it and the timing turned out to be exactly 90 degrees advanced on the cams... There's this stupid arrow that I KNOW is supposed to go to three oclock.. but spaced out and put at 12... I had the wet plug, burping engine and yah it sucked...+

Yup, if you're like me, I set the timing in the middle of an all-nighter.. so 2 am builds aren't always 100%...

if your timing is 100% sure,

try double checking your fuel injector plugs for reversal and make sure your cam/crank sensors are plugged in... *happened to a guy I know that had overlooked the connection of the cam sensor... and they're waay simple to plug in... best of luck!
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

make sure to update us on how well it runs once you get it going.

we want to build one of these for our rallycross car.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
4subaru
In Neutral

Post by 4subaru »

I'm a idiot, i did have the arrow pointing towards 12 o'clock instead of 3. I never even saw the hash mark. Thats what i get for having tunnel vision. Fixed that and bumped the starter and it fired right up with no problems.

As for it running, my old 2.2 was a good motor, when i pulled it tho both of my motor mounts were completely ripped though. I race this car on a ciricle track and i'm going into my fourth year with it. Haven't been able to drive it really much since it isn't street legal. But with the new sti engine mounts and the 2.5/2.2 combo, it feels a hell of alot better. I have 93 octane in it now and it is running like a top. I have practice this saturday and sunday, i will update after that to let you know how it runs overal. Keep in mine, i didn't even rebuild the heads or anything as of right now, i might send my cams out to delta next week for a liitle more power.