How do I discharge A/C? NEED to know asap!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

juice91si
First Gear

How do I discharge A/C? NEED to know asap!

Post by juice91si »

I have decided to remove my air conditioning. It's in the way of getting my motor out, and I could use the space for a catch can and intercooler down the road.

Problem is:Image

my car looks like this so i cant go to a professional to get the a/c system discharged and such.

How do i do it?

vent the pressure with the little caps?
then drain the fluid from the line?
dont breathe it in?

HELP!
Summer Fun = 1991 Civic Si Turbo
Winter Fun = 1991 Legacy Sport Sedan
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

If you want to keep the AC system you can just unbolt the compressor and a couple of the line hold downs and swing it out of the way. It's a little awkard but it is possible to pull the motor and not touch the AC.

However, if you really want to pull it, and it sounds like you do, just crack one of the bolts on the AC compressor and hit the fitting with something hard to break the seal. Then open the door, leave, and come back in an hour. It's a lot of fumes and it's rough on the body - and enviroment - but a lot of us have done it.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

THANKS. will do.
quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

so neither of you care for the air we breath or global warming?

i have never done that - so do not lump me into your group.

either do it correctly or leave the compressor hooked up.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Haha, there's one in every crowd. You have to recongize something, sometimes there is no other option. I never said all of us do this, just a lot.

Don't turn this into a air quality/global warming issue. We all know the stakes are and know what we do and do not contribute to.
Lee

juice91si
First Gear

Post by juice91si »

for reference: i bought the car from an auction and it came without an a/c belt. im not even sure if it works or if it is full.
quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

skid542 wrote:Haha, there's one in every crowd. You have to recongize something, sometimes there is no other option. I never said all of us do this, just a lot.

Don't turn this into a air quality/global warming issue. We all know the stakes are and know what we do and do not contribute to.

i resent being called the "one in every crowd".

laugh all you want and use backward reasoning all you want.

you are wrong and you know it.

you should be ashamed of yourself.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

This will be the last I will discuss this topic in this thread. The purpose of the thread was to ask a technical question. A technical answer was given.

I wasn't trying to insult you, apologizes if you feel offended. I meant it in a joking manner and wasn't meant to single you out.

Is it wrong, yes, it shouldn't be done. Sometimes though there is no good option.

Am I ashamed of myself, no. Do I feel bad when I have done this in the past, yes, but not ashamed. If you are going to chastize me for this then you should chatize every heavy truck driver that pours smoke out his exhaust on every shift. Or the countless masses that insist on drinking only bottled water and never recycles. Or the countless stores who still use stryofoam packaging. And the list goes on.

Edit : I was a bit tense from work, that was inappropriate, sorry.

There ain't nobody who enjoys 'modern' living and isn't hurting the enviroment in some form.

FYI - I am an avid long distance backpacker, mountaineer, hiker, kayaker, fly fisher, and otherwise outdoor enthusiast. I do have a very vested interest in the world we live in and my kids will live in one day.

[/soap box]
Lee

quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

"FYI - I am an avid long distance backpacker, mountaineer, hiker, kayaker, fly fisher, and otherwise outdoor enthusiast. I do have a very vested interest in the world we live in and my kids will live in one day. "

if you talk the talk you should walk the walk.

last i am reading this thread.

it is clear what is right and what is wrong.
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Just vent it out.
What gas is in there, will eventually come out at some point in time.

Whats funny about this arguement, is that someone is crying envirentmantal TeRrOr on you, on a freaking CAR forum!

People complain about global blah blah blah, yet still drive their cars.

You really think 16 gallons of burnt fuel is less harmfull than 1lb of refridgerent? Or how much petrol will you burn in a lifetime vs. how many times this guy vents out some refridgerent? You know whats really wrong now dont you?

What about the amount of shit that comes out of your ass on a yearly basis? How much harmfull gas you think that produces?

I have a good buddy who works for a disposal company in the HazMat Dept. All these people thinking there saving the freaking world bring in all sorts of stuff. Paint, areosols, batteries, ect. Know what they do with it? They burn it. Used oil, old petrol, fertilizers, chemicals, you name it. It all goes in the air.

Does that make venting his AC charge ok, not really. But it does make you look like an ass for being all preachy n shit, prolly.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

And then there are those of us here... who accidentally spray their friend in the face when the atmospherically discharge thiers lol...

And even worse... my exhaust is catless.... sinner, atmospherically dischargin r-12 and catless... i shall burn in hell for all eternity...

Lol just messin with ya :-D
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I'm wearing a shirt that has the recycling symbol on it today. Does that help?

($2.99 at Sears - Makes me feel so much better about running no cats on the Legacy)
SUBARUEHS Racing
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

quicklook wrote:

if you talk the talk you should walk the walk.
So?

You still putting petrol in your car?
Pay for a garbage service?
Sewer? Paper or plastic?

Your just as guilty as any of us for degrading the environment, only you look more like an ass for preaching against it, and even more of an ass for not being able to step up and defend your point.
Aussie_in_mo
In Neutral

Post by Aussie_in_mo »

Biggest issue is that modifying/deleting your catalytic converter or discharging AC to atmosphere is illegal ($10,000 fine for each I believe). putting petrol in your car or using plastic bags isn't...
'82 Brat (EA81 w/73hp and a 4spd single range trans)
'00 OBW (EJ25 w/5spd)