Panel vs. ColdAirIntake

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Snowolf2
First Gear

Panel vs. ColdAirIntake

Post by Snowolf2 »

I don't know if I should go with a Panel filter from K&N or get a full on cold air intake kit. What are some good system's cold air intake's that will fit my 93 AWD non-turbo legacy wagon? So far I've only seen Weapon-R makes some.
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
1993 Legacy L 5spd wagon - sold
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i read bad things about the maf on n/a legacy's when switching intakes, i think it was on nasioc
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
Snowolf2
First Gear

Post by Snowolf2 »

Is that for K&N panel filter too?
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

Honestly dont waste your time on a CAI for your car, Stick with the K&N better overall performance.
FastRust
Snowolf2
First Gear

Post by Snowolf2 »

Yeah, I was kinda leaning that way...
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Doesn't the legacy pull in cold air from the fender already?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

The stock setup works great with a drop in filter. Just pull out the snorkus stuff, remove or open up your fender lining (I just removed mine), and open up the two holes where your intake box and fender mate up. You should be very happy with the results.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Snowolf2
First Gear

Post by Snowolf2 »

New92 wrote:The stock setup works great with a drop in filter. Just pull out the snorkus stuff, remove or open up your fender lining (I just removed mine), and open up the two holes where your intake box and fender mate up. You should be very happy with the results.
I am pretty new to all this stuff, so how exactly would I go about removing the snorkus and such?
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
Snowolf2
First Gear

Post by Snowolf2 »

I also want to make sure it won't hurt MPG's at all
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Better flow will usually improve your mpg's a bit. There is not much to it. If you pull off the fender liner on the pass side you will see a series of connecting tubes running from the upper fender, where it mates to the resonator box, and down towards the ground. Pull all that out, also go ahead and vent the liner. Open up the holes in the air box and fender wall and your set. If you search snorkusectomy or snorkus you will find a butt load of links to the topic here in the forum. Good luck! If you like I can post a pic of mine fully gutted but you should not need that as it is very self explanitory.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Snowolf2
First Gear

Post by Snowolf2 »

awesome, thanks!!
2001 Impreza RS, 5spd
japanesecowboy14
In Neutral

Post by japanesecowboy14 »

Tried a different suggestion that really works nicely.. drop in the K&N, get a saw & hack off the bottom part of the airbox past the mounting screws.. this way' you have something to hold the filter in, but open on the bottom end. nice way to mod the intake, and the HP gain isn't much, but still noticeable.
Subie Newbie
94 Legacy L Wagon N/A FWD (WTF)
No brags @ car, YET
japanesecowboy14
In Neutral

OH and another note... when doing "said" modification.... don't put your hand on the TB or MAF while hitting throttle cable because your buddy told you to.. really easy way to lose a perfectly tasty cigarette
Subie Newbie
No brags @ car, YET
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Hate to tell you, but I don't think there is any hp gain from hacking off the bottom. By doing that you're still getting air from the same size hole, but also warm air from the engine. It would be best to leave it sealed and match the size of the opening in the fender.

Though if you like the sound I doubt it will make much difference either way.
japanesecowboy14
In Neutral

I can post pics later, but I managed To put an extension on , & mount my stock air box w/ hacked bottom inside my fender.. actually runs pretty decent that way. not exactly a race car class mod, but for free? (3$ for extension) it helps dish out a little more from the bottom end of the rpms
Subie Newbie
No brags @ car, YET
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Oh, well if it's in the fender I can believe it.
japanesecowboy14
In Neutral

Another idea i had was to hack it, put the airbox upside down, (filter up, ) and cut in a scoop in the hood, but i think i'll save that for another thread for when i'm actually serious about a mod
Subie Newbie
No brags @ car, YET
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

Here's why we don't mess with the intake on our MAF based cars: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1471819

Putting a scoop in the hood that forward on the hood of the car would be counter productive. The forward half of most car hoods is a low air pressure zone believe it or not. For an explanation of that read the three part series "Undertrays, Spoiler & Bonnet Vents" on www.AutoSpeed.com, the car they test has a hood scoop as far forward as one that would feed MAF Subaru airboxes, and at some speeds air would actually flow out of the scoop.
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser