Another '06 TMIC and TD04

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Another '06 TMIC and TD04

Post by wtdash »

Just finished my TD04 and '06 TMIC install. Went w/the ebait special and got this:

The hose to the turbo was very close - I just cut off <1" where it connects to the turbo - the length from the Y-pipes to the 90' elbow was perfect. The small piece that connects the Y-pipes works, but it's a tad short. The 2 metal pieces that make up connection on the right are not aligned, but still worked.

I was able to get everything under the Pitch mount:

and had plenty of room.

I was able to rotate the tank 90', and use the same hoses. I'm using zippies to keep it in place, 'til I fab a bracket/mount:

Everything's working, running 13psi w/an MBC...only issue is the high idle when cold (1500+), and it takes longer to return to idle even when warm....I'll check Vac lines (again) and clean the IAC??

The PCV was a PITA as it had to be just the right height (I came off the crankcase w/a 90 elbow just under the turbo to IC junction), but eventually got it figured out.

Constructive criticisms welcome, as this is my first swap and turbo experience...

Also, THANKS to this site for all the info. :D
Last edited by wtdash on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

looks good, but where is the BPV reciruclating too?

All in the same place on the Coffee cup?

Either way, Nice job!
FastRust
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

94SS_Canada wrote:looks good, but where is the BPV reciruclating too?

All in the same place on the Coffee cup?

Either way, Nice job!
Yep. Here's a pic of the multi-talented device (~95% done):

I put the IAC in the elbow coming out of the airbox; everything else is on the CC mod.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

how did you get the bpy outlet on the intercooler not to bump your throttle cables? I had a hell of a time and ended up having to remove my cruise control throttle cable. Can I get a close up pic of that and maybe a measurement from the edge of your throttle body hose to your bpv adapter.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I've got a theory that the bpv hole is closer to the throttle body on a forester TMIC than on a WRX TMIC.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

EDIT - RE: Forester TMIC: EDIT: DEPENDS ON THE YEAR - '06-08 Forester TMIC are same as '06-07....don't use '04-'05.

See THIS.

This shows that cruise cable is very close to the BPV adapter:

Hopefully the tape measure helps, too.
Last edited by wtdash on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

so it looks like about 1 1/4"s from edge of throttle body intake and bpv plate... let me measure my fxts
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

looks to me to be about 3/4" and facing more downward than the wrxs
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Damn corporate firewall. I'll have to look at the pictures at home.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

This is why I chose to route the BPV from another location.

I also found this item for if the winestone car gets going.

Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good Todd!

Very creative with the hoses :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

Did you route the bpv from your y-pipe?
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

know1 wrote:Did you route the bpv from your y-pipe?
Not sure I understand....the BPV comes off the adapter on the front of the IC, thru the reducer and the BPV, and back into the intake thru a hose on my silencer delete section (between the air box and the turbo inlet hose).
Last edited by wtdash on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

What did you use for the turbo intake? I am having a hell of a time fitting a 90 on the intake side of the turbo.

Also my 07 IC has a pastic Y pipe, and the 2 parts that bolt to the IC. Did yours come with the metal piece on the left side or did you get that as well? Right now the pipe on the IC is about 2" to short from the turbo, I need to extend the y pipe a little. Thanks for any help.
98 LGT wagon auto
PNP heads, wrx 5 spd conversion, sti struts, whiteline suspension, 4/2 pots, lots more

05 impreza wgn stock
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

iluvdrt wrote:What did you use for the turbo intake? I am having a hell of a time fitting a 90 on the intake side of the turbo.

Also my 07 IC has a pastic Y pipe, and the 2 parts that bolt to the IC. Did yours come with the metal piece on the left side or did you get that as well? Right now the pipe on the IC is about 2" to short from the turbo, I need to extend the y pipe a little. Thanks for any help.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37853

Read this thread.
I did exactly what ScottyS did to extend the stock ypipe enough to make the fitment to the turbo.
That Ebay Ypipe doesn't really fit, I test fit it onto my 07 wrx IC and there was no way it was going to be 100% air tight.
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

cool thanks, to bad I just ordered the ebay kit (like 10 mins ago) or I would have done it like him. Oh well.
What did you use for the turbo inlet pipe? I am having a heck of a time with that. Thanks for the help.
98 LGT wagon auto
PNP heads, wrx 5 spd conversion, sti struts, whiteline suspension, 4/2 pots, lots more

05 impreza wgn stock
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

I used a silicone 90* which was 2.5"ID and inserted a 2.25OD straight exhaust pipe into the top, and left about 2" sticking out. With that, you can just place the intake piece right over the exhaust pipe, clamp it down.

I actually took that Ebay Ypipe, and used that 90 that comes with it as my Intake pipe, it fits real secure. So at least I got some use out of it.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

iluvdrt wrote:What did you use for the turbo intake? I am having a hell of a time fitting a 90 on the intake side of the turbo.
I found a Volvo radiator hose that had the 90' (actually more like 85'), and the extension that connects to my CC mod. I know it's not optimum but working for now. I'll likely find a silicone 90' and fit that.

Edit -6/17/2010: The volvo hose ended up collapsing and caused a weird boost drop issue that took weeks/months to figure out.
So, ensure the intake elbow is either very strong or supported internally to prevent its collapse. Most likely any rubber/silicone elbow will have issues @ 13+ psi.

Td
Last edited by wtdash on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Try the ebay y-pipe kit. With the included clamps I was able to secure the short piece @ both ends....but a longer piece may make it fit easier....but I doubt mine's leaking.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

I got the same ebay kit and I secured mine fine. I agree, however, that a slightly longer piece would most likely make it easier to secure.
iluvdrt
First Gear

Post by iluvdrt »

Cool, thanks for the help guys. The kit kit should be here later this week.
98 LGT wagon auto

05 impreza wgn stock
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Bdub wrote:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37853

Read this thread.
I did exactly what ScottyS did to extend the stock ypipe enough to make the fitment to the turbo.
That Ebay Ypipe doesn't really fit, I test fit it onto my 07 wrx IC and there was no way it was going to be 100% air tight.
The problem with my quick fix is that it won't last. The plastic 06 Y-pipe fatigues at the compression point and will fail. It gets you the geometry and allows you to run for a few hundred miles, but it won't last.

I'm going to be playing with some options this week. I'll let you guys know what I come up with.

PS - I also thought about getting that eBay pipe kit. However, what I would probably do based on the original poster's photo is cut the eBay pipe so that I could use one or both of the stock 06 metal IC hookups, with the modified eBay Y in the middle. I would hope that with some fiddling with intermediate silicone lengths that you could get it all to line up eventually. Some extra silicone would be needed for this.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

How about just an all silcone ypipe? They aren't too cheap though, usually ~$100.
I guess I better start looking for another alternative.
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

All silicone pipe is much nicer and will give more leeway. I bought one off ebay. It's a Samco y pipe that came with the recirculation pipe and throttle body pipe for around $100 shipped I think. I think I paid more for my TD04 with 2k miles, 06 TMIC and piping than I did the entire motor. :shock:
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CFK
Second Gear

Re: Another '06 TMIC and TD04

Post by CFK »

WOW that Ebay Y-Pipe REALLY doesn't line up well at all !!!

I even bought a hump hose and it folds in on the one side. Mine looks even worse than yours did. I left the stock short aluminium piece cause it looked exeactly the same, just smoother on the inside and a bit thicker. Maybe I'll try the thinner one. Pretty bad though, it will do the trick but I don't think it will flow very well. Considering just buying the Samco kit :cry: $$$
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily