05 FTX a good fit?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

05 FTX a good fit?

Post by BSOD2600 »

Alright, I know... beating a dead horse. Already searched and found plenty of threads where people have made the FTX TMIC's work, but required extra custom hacking/modding. I was shooting to get a 06/07 WRX TMIC, since thats what the recent posts have been about.

Conversely, its threads like this, which make me think that the FTX isn't an ideal solution. It also doesn't help that lots of threads don't state the year of parts they're using -- yes, obviously older posts (like 06 are using older year parts :P). Doesn't make it obvious which things will work out easier than others.

Is there anyone/site which has the dimensions of the various year WRX/Forester/STI TMIC in a nice table? Then one could definitively say which ones are the same, would easily fit, etc.

My overall plan was to get the 06/07 WRX TMIC, Samco turbo hose kit (for best flexibility when mating with the TD05), wyntonm bov adapter (so don't have to make a ghetto plastic one), use the stock BPV, and relocate the coolant tank with that 'longer bolt' mod. Sure the tucking of the wires under the dogbone and relocation of the ignitor too. Other threads have made the above process sound relatively easy... at least with those parts. Not so much with others which require cutting of the throttle body (really don't want to do that), removal of the AC (just had that fucker charged back up again for $200), or other extreme things people have done to make various TMIC's work.

Thoughts?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
flatoutfred
First Gear

Post by flatoutfred »

It took me roughly 5-6 hours to fit the intercooler, cut clutch fluid reservoir, cut the y pipe, relocate the igniter and the coolant tank (90 degree rotation) and reroute the bpv piping.

The 06-07 WRX and FXT intercooler are the same thing except for bpv flange. They're probably the best fit available since they're plenty for sale and they're not to expensive. I paid my WRX 07 IC 65$ shipped.

There's also the slanty v1 and v2 intercooler that apparently fits real good but good luck if you try to find one of these. I found some but they were too expensive(100-200$).

Have fun
Legacy turbo, desnorkled, intercooled, TD04, Borla catback, urethane mounts, wrx rear brakes.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Got a 07 WRX TMIC today, so this thread is now moot. :)

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.