why is this site so easy to use

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

why is this site so easy to use

Post by SILINC3R »

i am now a member on NASIOC and WRXATLANTA, and this is the easiest to use. i guess maybe i need to get used to using the other ones but dang. thanks for making such a great site that is so easy to use
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's nice and simple and not too many sections. NASIOC has way too many sections. I just get overwhelmed over there. I basically just look in the classified sections over there. Plus over on NASIOC they have more generations of imprezas to talk about. We really only talk about 90-94 legacys. Keeps it simple and everyone is on the same page.

There's a few features I think this site would benefit from having. Like on another forum I go to you can double click the little icon next to the topic or section and it'll change from being blue(new posts) to being yellow(or no new posts). That's just a neat little feature that I like a lot because some threads I don't want to look at and instead of having to open up those threads one by one to change the icon on the section to no new posts, you can just double click the icon to change it. That way I still know when there's new posts in the threads I'm watching and it saves me a lot of time instead of opening each thread.

I can't think of any other features that would be cool right now but I know there's a few I think of when I browse here.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

only thing I dont like over here is this site doesn't like IE. If you do a search and check a link then go back, IE has a fit and you have to search again. FF doesn't have that issue. Other than that site works well.
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah that's annoying but I just right click each link and open in a new window. But that doesn't happen on most forums.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Lack of complexity goes a long ways.

We'll be updating to phpBB 3 in the near future, and it adds some nice features, but does bump up the complexity a little.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Keep it simple though! The other forum I go to was really basic and had a great community and they the owner sold it to another guy and that guy quickly started changing everything and now there's like twice as many sections and sub sections and he changed the skin and all these people from these other forums that we tried to distance ourselves from started coming over and now it's a terrible forum full of assholes.

As far as the layout on this forum, I think it's perfect and I wouldn't change a thing.
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

i love this site because it loads fast and is easy to use on my iphone.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I will try to keep it as simple as possible, but it will have some significant and important changes simply because the updated software has changed. I do need to update the software for reasons of security and stability, but I will try to keep the look as simple and straightforward as possible, as it is now with the smartDark theme.

There are advantages to having a forum dedicated to a specific model revision of a vehicle. I like that it doesn't get confusing between model years, just when we start discussing hybridizing engines, suspensions and parts from other markets.

I may not have a first-generation Legacy, or read every thread, but I still do visit quite regularly and scan over all the new topics and peek in.

You guys are the reason this site is so easy to maintain. We'll do our best to keep it easy to read, easy to access, and easy to return to.

Thanks.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So who owns the site? Is it Josh? How would somebody make a small donation to help with the site? Maybe 20 bucks or something like that. I'm on here every day and I feel I should give something back. I'm sure if a few people gave 20 bucks it would help a lot.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I own the site, domain, hosting, etc.

Josh is a fellow enthusiast who also has his own site with an incredible amount of information, and an administrator of the board.

Click the Google ads, cause that helps pay for the hosting fees. I appreciate the sentiment, and would just ask that you keep coming back and helping out fellow owners.
Legacy Central
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I also think part of the greatness of this forum is that we tend to be a bit more resourceful as a group since there really isn't much in the way of bolt-on stuff. Also, being and older car with a limited amount of people that actually know about it, it keeps the riffraff out.

Our local forum is nothing but constant drama, and this place is seriously refreshing.

One question. Are we going to be staying with the dark theme? I love it.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I am going to try and find a reasonable, tasteful, and dark theme for the board, similar to the smartDark style. It might be just one of two choices. Light on black is usually easier for most people to read, and that's why I chose it.
Legacy Central
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Possibly dumb question, but, smartDark can't be transferred over to 3.0?

I used to run our WoW guild BBS and found upgrades to be pretty painless. That was 2.x > 2.x though.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

3.0 is very, very different. The themes/styles can't be transferred.
Legacy Central
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

DLC wrote:I own the site, domain, hosting, etc.

Josh is a fellow enthusiast who also has his own site with an incredible amount of information, and an administrator of the board.

Click the Google ads, cause that helps pay for the hosting fees. I appreciate the sentiment, and would just ask that you keep coming back and helping out fellow owners.
so just by clicking on an ad from Google will help out. do i need to stay on that page for a certain amount of time. i will click on them all day if it helps :D
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Just click and look, or open them in a new tab and close them later, whatever. Ad revenue is going down, compared to when I started doing it, but the changes in hosting I made a year and a half ago have made things more reliable, and cheaper.
Legacy Central
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, well thank you for the lovely forum you provided us with! I'll remember to click those ads.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Hey, I didn't realize that you had to actually click on the ad for a credit to take place. I thought Adsense worked on hits to the site???
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale