What was your first car/favorite car?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Imprezive
Fourth Gear

What was your first car/favorite car?

Post by Imprezive »

A post by newcomer Alyssa (AweOfShe) got me to thinking about the cars I drove in the past and all the memories I have attached to them. So I wanted to see what other people's first cars/favorite past cars are...

Sooo yeah.... What was everyone's firsts/favorites?

I started out in a white 1991 Geo Metro hatchback which I put bald rear tires on to get the rear to slide better on gravel roads (which led to its destruction when my bro took it out for some fun and ended up smashing into a big boulder, he was ok), then got a 1991 Legacy SS with an ej20g swap that was half assed, a project that I promptly scrapped, moved onto a red 1991 subaru loyale before finding a white 1992 legacy SS in a storage lot.

I've still got the loyale, although its got a blown head gasket, and the 1992 SS and don't think I'll ever get rid of either of them...
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

My first car was a Triumph TR7.

Ive owned a 67' Mini. That was fun.

A bunch of Rabbits and GTIs. Still always have my eye out for a clean swallowtail.

I had a 64 bug with a 2180. It ran mid 12's at Pamona. It still had the single channel, drums all around. That was exciting. :roll:

I miss my Turbo Leg. :(
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

First car was a subaru 89 turbo wagon. I had no interest in tuning then, and all it was was cheap transportation (dad bought it for 700 bucks on my 15th birthday so I could get to school, so he could sleep in!)

My favorite car is the current 93 turbo wagon.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

well my first was a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, which was pretty sweat. very nice car until i thought it was a Subaru and flipped it.

my favorite is a toss up between the Legacy 1990 i have now and the Jeep. the jeep was faster than my leg :shock:
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
AweOfShe
In Neutral

Post by AweOfShe »

My first car ever was a 1994 Geo Prism
omg that thing was so SLOW but it taught me so much.

I learned how to rev-match like no other in that car because my clutch was going out and I had to shift without using the clutch for the last weeks of it's life.

Mine looked like the hand me down it was - but it was supposed to look something like this in black.

It made the 92 Accord I moved up to seem really fast though ^_^
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

sorry joe. It was late, I had just spend the last 6hrs writing an evaluation essay, and my brain wasn't working to good :P

oh well....
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I bought a 76' Dodge Power Wagon when I was 14. I still have that one, and I fully intend on restoring it.

The first thing I actaully bought to drive on the road was an 85' Dodge Power Ram. It had a built Small block, 33x12.5 mud tires, and a 3inch body lift. I had insane amounts of fun in that thing, but eventually sold it because it got 8mpg
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

1974 Buick LeSabre Luxus, maroon with white ragtop. Was as long and wide as a Suburban. Had 45,000 miles on it when I got it. Power windows, power roof, original parade boot, whitewalls... it was awesome. I miss it and sometimes dream of doing a resto-mod project on one. Mine was a pig with the 2 barrel carb and the 350. A 454 and a six pack would be a lot of fun.

If you've ever seen Dazed and Confused, some kids are ripping a bong in the back of one at the park.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
GodSquadMandrake
First Gear

Post by GodSquadMandrake »

MK2 Jetta, learned everything I know working on that car. It was the best car I ever had. It was faster than my RX7 or my Legacy, handled way better, got 42 MPG, didn't attract cops or loose women, and was actually a blast to drive.
-Doug Wilson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

AweOfShe wrote:Image
=Toyota corolla. Very reliable and economical. I bet the exh. manifold was cracked, though.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

GodSquadMandrake wrote:didn't attract loose women
And you put that in the "plus" category? hehe
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

GodSquadMandrake wrote: didn't attract cops or loose women
LOL
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
joeWM
Second Gear

Post by joeWM »

Imprezive wrote:sorry joe. It was late, I had just spend the last 6hrs writing an evaluation essay, and my brain wasn't working to good :P

oh well....

haha all is well
[quote="kimokalihi"]Jesus, that's a grocery list of problems.[/quote]
92 Legacy SS 5MT....sold :(
02 Aspen white WRX Stage 2, 20%tint
AweOfShe
In Neutral

Post by AweOfShe »

beatersubi wrote:
AweOfShe wrote:Image
=Toyota corolla. Very reliable and economical. I bet the exh. manifold was cracked, though.
Oh yeah, looks dead on a 7th generation corolla.... but..... it was so - SLOW! I'd probably still have it today if I wasn't so harsh in my drivetrain endurance programme ^_^

Actually.... I think the exhaust manifold was pretty good! No leaks or anything as far as I could tell but that was before I knew what I was looking at or listening for, so that's not saying too much.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

My favorite car I've had was my 93 ss

And I've had 3 Legacys (92 FWD, 93SS, 92SS) and my pickup truck.
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

My favorite is my 1962 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider, which is a long description for a short car. :-)

The model was new in 1955, and designed by one of the most successful racing teams in history. The intention was class wins in the MIlle Miglia and the other long race-The Targa Florio.

So the car was designed strong with the ability to be flogged on rough roads. The suspension has long-travel and a lot of compliance.

It often won above class as well.

I bought mine three years ago, and in the first year replaced the 1300 cc DOHC engine with a 2 L from a later model. This years "winter works program" had the head done up by the wizard and it now puts out around 175 hp at 6500 and 160 torque at 4800. The original put out 85 hp.

Have the finned competition drum brakes on--they are 13.5 inches in diameter and the fronts are over three inches wide with three leading shoes. They virtually fill the 15-inch wheels.

Came across a set of close ratio gears and on the rebuild these were installed, keeping the tall fifth gear at .85, rather than the racing .79.

With the roof down-- around 3800 seems to be a comfortable cruising speed and that calculates to 82 mph.

The diff is now lsd with a 4.11 ratio, formerly 4.56. The guy who built the diff sets them up for vintage racing, which uses 4 carbon fiber coated clutch plates. Two are fine for street use. These came in sets of four and somehow RJ ended up with two left over--I won the lottery. Apparently, they engage smoother than the steels.

Prolly weighs a little less than 2100 lbs so 4500 to 7000 comes on fairly quick. :-) So put on a shift light set at 6000 and a soft limiter set at 6500. Although "built", these old long-stroke hemis can't take too many revs.

It moves, and with fresh modern shocks it handles the rough stuff rather well.

Great car to drive on mountain roads. :-D
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
AweOfShe
In Neutral

Post by AweOfShe »

Subtle :shock: That car sounds amazing!!
tahiti350
Third Gear

Post by tahiti350 »

I've had close to 100 cars and trucks, and a whole bunch of motorcycles , so I've got several that I'd love to have back, but...

First car was a '64 bug with a Baja kit, fire gutted interior, nad the engine in the back seat with cracked heads. I worked 2 years putting it together, swapped the body, traded my '67 Honda trail 90 for good heads, and drove it to school my senior year. Miss it a bunch, 29 mpg on a 1388 kit, no real interior, and my first stereo (Sparkomatic Am/Fm/Cass with 2 6" speakers)

Favorite is my '64 Ford Galaxie 500 XL Convert, Silversmoke Grey with black top and interior, HP 390, 4 speed. Nothing really special except my DAD special ordered it in June 63, and took delivery in Nov '63, making it one of the first converts off the line for the new model year. Dad got hurt in a mill accident a couple of weeks after delivery, but managed to keep the the Galaxie. I'm the 4th owner, bought it back (from the son of the dealer dad bought it from!!) in '84, rebuilt a HP 390 to replace the station wagon 2 bbl motor (my first V-8 rebuild), and found a correct 4 speed to replace the incorrect automatic.

Dad is still alive, but won't let the Galaxie on his property, too many good and bad memories tied to it. He's okay with me having it, as long as it is correctly restored, he just doesn't want to see it again.
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
quicklook
Second Gear

Post by quicklook »

first car: 1964 plymouth sport fury, stuffed a 440 cid and a 4 speed into it.

second: 1968 dodge coronet R/T with a 426 HEMI and dual guads and automatic with 4.88 gears in it. won a lot of street races and money in that car.

too many more to fully list, vettes, z28, challengers, charger, rx7s, amxs, javelin, thunderbirds, mercedes, dart 340, etc.

i got the 92 legacy ls from my niece and it has been my favorite winter car ever.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

First car was '66 Impala Sedan. Not exactly a speed demon with a 283 and a powerglide. With my foot to the floor she shifted from low into high gear at 52 mph :lol:

It was a cool car though. I could fit four sets of hockey equipment in the trunk along with two subs. Once we fit four wide in the front bench seat.

Also, sitting in the engine bay to change spark plugs is ftw. Drum brakes all around was ftl.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

AweOfShe wrote:Subtle :shock: That car sounds amazing!!
There was one on the West Coast that had an incredible career-both in SCCA and then Vintage.

al leake sophia poster.pdf

When I Google this the one-page story comes up.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

First car-'86 BMW 325, Man that thing could take a beating, crashed into a Corolla, totalled the Corolla, but not the BMW, the bumper had no damage except for a scratch. Also my friend knocked over an 8 house mailbox, not even a scratch

Favorite car-'90 BMW 325i, that thing was so much fun, I miss it, it's only been 2 months :( as fast as a lightly modded 03 RSX-S
_Aramchek_
First Gear

Post by _Aramchek_ »

First Car:A white 1992 Oldsmo-Bile Cutlass Ceirra with a 3.3 v-6.
It actually wasn't that horrible,on a highway it went rather well for such an old mans car.

Some woman named "Candi" ran through a stop sign while talking on her cell phone and ran in to it, at the right front wheel,destroyed the car.

My favorite:Well my 91 SS of course,5spd,slate grey metalic with a VLSD in the back...all kinds of fun and great in the snow too even with worn out summer tires.

I love this car.
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

First Car = 1988 Toyota Tercel Wagon

I liked it even though I wanted something with more power. And style? But kids shouldn't have nice cars and I proved that by ending it's life in the rain. It had LSD tho, which is tight...
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.