swapping in a impreza 5spd questions

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Nate S
First Gear

swapping in a impreza 5spd questions

Post by Nate S »

OK,
so I scored a impreza/forester 5spd tranny and rear diff for 300 for the set. so now I have a couple questions:

which clutch master cylinder do I need? does it matter?

the tranny has the crossmember on it , do I need a different one for a legacy? ( figure this is yes )

rear diff should bolt up without issue I assume, is there anything special to know for this?

so the list of things I am seeing as needing still is:

Flywheel
Clutch + Pressure Plate + throw out bearing
Pedals
Clutch MC and Lines
Driveline

anything I am missing?
OH does the console from the auto work?

thanks,
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

There are minor differences, but please, PLEASE go read my tranny swap article...

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Nate S
First Gear

Post by Nate S »

I have, like 3 times :D

wondering what the differences are between the tranny etc or if there are any short of the diff ratio's

thanks
Nate
S-Squared Motorsports
Looking for aftermarket parts? Email me
nate@ss-ms.com - www.ss-ms.com
shop # 916 631 7440
92 turbo wagon / 02 wrx sedan
SigOS
In Neutral

Post by SigOS »

OH does the console from the auto work?
I have a 5MT swap in my 91, and my original auto console works fine. It's funny to see the "PRND321" in the middle of the dash of a manual car :)

The only problem I have is that my speedo / odo doesn't show the reality, but this is due to my 4.44 tranny/diff ...
91 Turbo Legacy
91 Turbo Supra
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The crossmember on my turbo was partially from an impreza. Two of the three peices came from a wrecked one in a junkyard, the other was from a Legacy.

The master cylinder is almost universal on all hydraulic clutches, to the best of my knowledge. There are probably some variances, but everything should work just the same.

By the "console", i take it to mean the area around the shifter. It's not the same, but it will work. I have a black interior, but i found a dark blue 5MT console at a junkyard and have used it ever since. Black interiors are really uncommon, and i'm not terribly concerned about the colors being off :D

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

There is one thing to watch for on the drive shaft there are two different sizes of flanges on the diffs to bolt the driveshaft to. They are not interchangable in most cases, the flange has a part on it that fits into the diff housing and determines the position of the pinion gear. If the transmission has significant wear or grooves in the snout (where the front shaft protrudes) we have a fix for this rather than replacing the case and we also have a modified and improved slave cylinder that is priced lower than the dealers. This improves the pedal postion and the disengagement point on n/a cars.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net