Engine build costs.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Engine build costs.

Post by PhyrraM »

I've personally never had an engine built before. I wanted to run this by you all. I'm sure somebody will let me know if anything seems out of line.

It looks good to me, although it is a bit more than I budgeted. I don't mind paying for quality, and I'm pretty sure I won't have any problems there.

My EJ22T block
My EJ25 crank
My Pauter rods
My EJ20G or EJ20K heads.

New pistons (in quote)
New bearings (in quote)
New oil pump (not in quote)
MLS headgaskets, stock or Cometic (not in quote)

Any input appreciated. I'm most likely going to go ahead with this unless somebody sees something glaring that I missed.

Edit...... first thing I noticed. No seals in quote, he is assembling the shortblock.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

Looks good, except I don't see a timing kit or valve cover gaskets...or are you just adding up the machine shop costs for now?

The machine shop prices seem to be in line with what I see around here, BTW.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

That's just the machine shop quote. I stripped out any needless info to protect the innocent.

Like I said, I don't see anything extraneous, but it crept up to $2400 very quickly.

New EJ257 shortblock can be had from Subaru for about $2000, but I've heard both good and bad stories about thier build quality.

I'm only looking to max out a TD05-16G. I realize I don't NEED to build a buletproof shortblock to do that. But it makes me feel better.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Maybe those bearings are bit expensive? But I got a hookup on OEM ones, so that's just a thought.
90 L+ wgn
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Compared to my build,which i think is more than enough for transmission breaking potential,that looks quite spendy.Those machining costs seem pretty high but i guess everyone charges differently.My machine shop usually includes surfacing of heads and block when doing work on the part,and yeah those bearing prices are out there.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

yeah, i think the bearings are a little expensive and I got my CP pistons for 100 dollars less, but i got a pretty good deal on them from MCS motorsports off nasioc. Took forever for CP to make them custom to my setup tho.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I can't see your prices since my work blocks pictures on flicker.....but from personal experience, if you do it right, prices will tend to creep up on you.

My suggestion would be to lay out your budget, and then plan for a minimum of an additional 10-20%, because when it's all said and done, there will probably be something else that you want to do, and you don't want to put yourself in a position to not do the work, or buy the part for when you've got everything apart because you don't have the money.

That's my two cents anyway....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Price seems kinda high to me.

I was given a much lower quote to rebuild a ej22t bottom end with custom standard bore pistons, eagle rods, finish hone / fresh bearings / seals.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

My suggestion would be to lay out your budget, and then plan for a minimum of an additional 10-20%, because when it's all said and done, there will probably be something else that you want to do, and you don't want to put yourself in a position to not do the work, or buy the part for when you've got everything apart because you don't have the money.

Definately never read more true words than that.Whatever you think you will spend on this you are already wrong.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Just saw the little white box which never popped up before - price looks fair now!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD