kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

My prognosis: Engine ran lean due to faulty injector(s). Wasn't able to tell because the ECU doesn't monitor each cylinder for AFR but instead reads the summed output of all 4 cylinders. AFR gauge read fine the whole time until the ring(s) blew and then it was way rich. Once the rings blew all the compression began to blow all my oil out of the dipstick tube and all over my engine bay. Also a lot of oil was burned up on the way home creating a nice smoke show.

NOTE: Not that I know for sure the actual cause of the engine failure but do not buy used injectors and throw them in your engine without having them flow tested. Maybe somebody else has an idea of what went wrong here but that's all I can come up with.

I should have sold the car a month ago. But I'm glad I didn't because someone else would be stuck with this problem and I would feel terrible for selling it to them.

I can see it being another 2 years that it will sit in that garage. If my mom still owns the house that long after the divorce is through. I should probably part it out and pay off the loans.

I'm fucking depressed. Did not need this right now.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

A short block shouldn't cost you that much, especially a 2.2. Unless you're also factoring custom pistons into the figure. Your heads are likely OK, and maybe the block isn't junk, but you'll have to tear it down to know. Of course.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well, new injectors, new block, headwork(might as well if I'm tearing it apart), stroke it, head gaskets, etc etc etc. I'm not going to work on the engine without building it. That 2.0 was gutless on the low end. I HATE the under-the-manifold intake setup with a passion. It was awful to work with. I dreaded removing and installing the intake and I did it like 3 times before getting the engine going. If I was going to redo this I would go with a rotated turbo. Bigger turbo. FMIC.

I just don't think I want to deal with it. It's either build it all out and buy a 6spd so I don't get it together and break the transmission or drop in another complete motor that's not going to satisfy me.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Oil under the hood means this is either:

Not as bad as it seems and might just be a loose hose or blown pipe or gasket. Or:

Really bad, as in a rod through the block.

Most engines with bad rings or pistons will pump oil out the exhaust, not the engine compartment.

Sorry to hear this Kimo. Once it's diagnosed, let me know what it is. I may be able to donate....
mx4life
First Gear

Post by mx4life »

[quote="PhyrraM"]Oil under the hood means this is either:

Not as bad as it seems and might just be a loose hose or blown pipe or gasket. Or:

Really bad, as in a rod through the block.

Most engines with bad rings or pistons will pump oil out the exhaust, not the engine compartment.

Sorry to hear this Kimo. Once it's diagnosed, let me know what it is. I may be able to donate....[/quote]

If you were observant in the pics he took the dip stick is popped up so....... massive crankcase pressure = ?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah that's what I said, the dipstick tube was popped out from the pressure and oil exited it all over my engine bay. Definitely going to stain the shit out of my paint. That's why I figured it was the rings. Once they're gone all the compression at 7,000 rpms would surely blow the oil out of anywhere it could go, the dipstick being the weakest point.

I will get around to pulling the engine. I don't know when but eventually. Since I don't have any funds and won't for a long time I don't know when I'll tackle that engine pull and tear down though.

Thanks Jess but you're so far away anyway I wouldn't want you shipping anything like that. It's not a big deal, just a car. I have a bigger problem in my life right now that I've been dealing with. I'm just bummed about snowboarding. (No, snowboarding is not that problem. lol)

I need to go win the lottery haha!
Last edited by kimokalihi on Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I highly doubt it was a rod that gave. It's not making any extreme sounds. There is a ticking sound that's somewhat loud. I think. I don't really want to start it. Plus I don't think I could have driven all the way home with a broken rod. Wouldn't it seize up?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

the ticking is probably a lifter or your injectors... leaning more towards a lifter tho
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I was thinking it was the loose piston with broken/missing rings. There is no acceleration in any gear. 4K in 2nd gear and I'm doing like 20mph.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Top off the oil and run a compression test. Then go from there.
Also, a bigger turbo would make the low end even worse.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

beatersubi wrote: Also, a bigger turbo would make the low end even worse.

Gotta love the CRAP for power before boost........... 0like he said do a compression test and see where that gets you. if you don't have a compression tester i have one and would be willing to come help ya out.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

beatersubi wrote:Top off the oil and run a compression test. Then go from there.
Also, a bigger turbo would make the low end even worse.
Not with a bigger engine.

I happen to have a compression tester and also a leak down tester but no compressor. I will do the compression test and that will tell me which injector failed.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

There's an EJ20G same exact engine from the same JDM forester for sale on craigslist portland. Comes with an auto trans, rear diff, axles and the engine is complete. $1,000. I don't have any money though shitty.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Oh MAN I'm sorry to hear that Kimo!! That sucks big time. Just take a week off from it, you'll feel better and start thinking clearer. It might not be as bad as you think. Sorry to hear about it man...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My girlfriend cracked me up last night. I was talking to her about my engine and she said she felt so bad she was thinking about taking a loan out to buy me a new engine. HAHA! I told her no, of course but that would be awesome.

I just really want it back for winter. If the rings blew, would there be damage to the heads? Man I need to pull that motor. I want to know what happened so bad. Nobody has said whether they think it was an injector issue. Boost was only at 13 lbs and the knock light would come up on closed loop mode when the car was warming up without even making any boost. 2.5K rpm shifts and the knock light would blink 16-20 times.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

I did some research and from what I read it sounds like your right! It all points to piston rings. A couple things
I read said that it could be a clogged PCV valve, but that would only push the dipstick out causing the oil to spill all over, and wouldn't account for the white smoke, so I believe its piston rings as well, guess the only real way to tell is a compression test.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I really don't see any other failure leading to burnt oil and so much pressure in the crank case that it blows the oil out of the dipstick.

But what are your guys' thoughts on my bad injector theory?
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Could also be broken ring lands. Especially if you were running lean.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm after the cause though. Don't want to replace a block and do the same thing all over again.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Spark Knock
Most new automobiles have knock sensors to adjust timing to reduce emissions as well as increase engine power and performance. Spark knock is due to premature ignition of the fuel during the combustion process. Preignition results in surges of pressure being forced upon the piston. This disrupts the movement of the piston ring, resulting in a loss of ring seal on both the top and the bottom of the ring, and ultimately allowing for increased blow by and oil consumption past the rings. This may also occur due to a faulty mass air flow sensor or throttle positioning switch.

Read more: http://www.smartsynthetics.com/motor_oi ... z12fNV0Yfr
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

Just an idea lol maybe this contributed!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks. I know what detonation is though, I just need to find out why it occurred.
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Post by SubyFusion »

well could it have been your alignment since you were messing with it before it blew? Maybe it was preigniting along with the clogged injector? lol thats just my thoughts I'm sure one of the smarter guys that actually knows what there talking about will chime in soon!
mx4life
First Gear

Post by mx4life »

As for your injector theory; pull all 4 sparkys and see if one (or more) is burned.
quick and easy way to test your theory. If it's burned then it was too lean.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SubyFusion wrote:well could it have been your alignment since you were messing with it before it blew? Maybe it was preigniting along with the clogged injector? lol thats just my thoughts I'm sure one of the smarter guys that actually knows what there talking about will chime in soon!
If one injector wasn't putting enough fuel out that would cause detonation. I know it had nothing to do with the timing which I determined was actually dead on the whole time and never slipped any teeth. I thought it did but I was looking at the wrong mark :roll: The knock was there long before I redid the timing belt last week.