Saving a 1993 Touring Wagon

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

206er
Fifth Gear

Saving a 1993 Touring Wagon

Post by 206er »

First off, a little back story on buying the car.
After selling my '91 wagon which I had for many years, I began going through legacy withdrawl. I began plotting my return. I knew that it would have to be in a turbo car; an NA motor just did not do it for me even if it was a high compression 2.5L. I had kind of resigned myself to getting an SS or building an ej22e+t as TW's are not only rare as hens teeth, they command a high price in this area where there are lots of people who both know what they are and actually want one. One day while browsing the parts shed a few pages back, I noticed a TW for a very low price. However, it was down in California. I guess they are not as popular down there, because the seller had no luck getting rid of the car even at the very low price of $500. After speaking with him about the car, I decided to take the risk of going to buy it sight unseen. I rented a dolly, loaded up my F250 PSD work truck, and with the help of my buddy Matt(superrallysoob) we drove to Richmond, CA which was about 700 miles away down in the east bay. We pulled into Richmond which turned out to be in the ghetto. While waiting at the seller's storage lot for his associate to arrive, we witnessed crackheads running by carrying TV's, and a hooker yelling about someone not giving her her money and that she was going to see Joe. :shock: :lol: The storage yard was something else. The seller used it as a facility to do EJ swaps on vanagons and was somewhat of a vanagon collector. There was even a vanagon based RV there which is ridiculously rare. There was definitely some interesting stuff in the yard; sharing the 3 sided shed with my soon to be TW was a small electric powered van that looked like a subaru sambar. When I layed eyes on the TW for the first time I was excited and a little bit disappointed at the same time. the paint had scratches all over it and the car had so much dog hair inside that you couldnt even see the carpet in places. It turns out that the junkyard dog there had a habit of opening car doors and sleeping inside the cars. the car smelled like old dog and gear oil. Some elbow grease was definitely in order. As we were preparing to get back on the road I was checking out some of the stuff in the shed where the car was, and happened to spot a VLSD sitting on the shelf. After some brief discussion it was mine for a very reasonable price. luckily the drive back was uneventful although it was definitely taxing. the F250 has a 5" straight pipe and a bench seat that kills your back plus no cruise control.

Once I had the TW back home, I began to assess the issues. It ran, but barely. the turbo to throttle body hose was completely broken and the pcv system was a mess. It was filthy throughout. There was something seriously wrong with the shifter and transmission. I'll apologize for the lack of pics in the outset of the project because a) I was not planning to do a build thread and b) I was too busy working to stop and take pictures. from now on I will not only write about the improvements I make to the car, I will take the all important pictures as well. I'll try to go in chronological order with the project.

I began the project by removing the seats and spending literally 5 hours with the shop vac going over the interior from top to bottom. I was relatively relieved that I did not find anything majorly disgusting with the worst being a bit of mold on the driver's scuff panel by the gas pedal. Uh oh. looks like we've got a leaky sunroof. I found some funny stuff as well; a box of remington 30-30 shells and a baby monitor. Also I found a folder with receipts, the original window sticker, an old for sale sign, and some other various odds and ends.

Next I wanted to make it run. BSOD2600 who is right up the road from me was kind enough to sell me the intake piece I needed, and I cobbled together a new F pipe from part of the old one as well as some hardware store items. I may take pictures of that but it is kind of embarrassing. I officially HATE THE FUCKING F PIPE. Reworking the PCV system is one of the things I plan to do very soon. Now the car would run for more than 10 seconds at a time. Like an idiot I did not bother to get the old gas out or change the fuel filter before attempting to fire the motor. Things could have been much worse for me as I really had not idea what the condition of the fuel system really was.

On to the transmission. the shifter and the transmission appeared to be off from each other by 1 notch. It would not go into park, so the car had to be started in neutral. reverse and drive worked, but it would not shift out of 1st. I wanted to get the car operational as soon as possible so I decided I'd try and get the 4eat going first and foremost. I spent some time trying to redo the shift linkage install that had been done by either the previous owner or someone else, and it was ahh, interesting. the linkage rod had a Z shape bent into it, the center bracket was attached completely wrong and completely loose, and was attached to the transmission with baling wire. custom. I remounted the cable and spent some time getting the shifter and tranny to synch up correctly. Upon giving it a test drive, it would still not shift out of 1st. At that point I said screw this 4eat nonsense and parked the car while I gathered the 5mt swap parts.

Thats a lot of words and I bet you people are sick of reading about this hoopty, so Here's some pitchers from today.
somewhere along the way I picked up these mint RS 6 spokes

Last edited by 206er on Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

damn. thats clean
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

i wish i could find one!
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

THE GOOD:
it's a real live touring wagon
RUST FREE!!!!
123k showing on the odo
decent interior
motor runs strong
purchase price
good glass
cold AC!!!

THE BAD:
untold neglect
lots of hack repairs
bumpers are rough
evidence of body work to passenger rear 1/4 panel
leaky sunroof
lots of fluid leaks
paint is scratched to shit
roof is faded badly

TO DO:

Stage 1
clean it up (check)
make it run (check)
make the 4eat work (scratch that)
get it on some decent rubber (check)
5mt swap it (check)
VLSD it (check)
get it running good (check)
Get it titled/registered (check)
pass emissions (check)
fix coolant fill tank leaks (check)
fix vacuum leaks (check)
fix water pump leaks
fix oil leaks
buff paint, do some touchup
put some miles on it to identify further problems

Stage 2
Rework PCV and add catch can
fix leaking sunroof
wire cruise control
boost, oil pressure, volts, oil temp gauges
ghetto ALK

Stage 3
3" TBE
intercooler
more boost
New rear bumper, repaint front
chassis braces and suspension mods
Last edited by 206er on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

It's not really as clean as it looks in those pics. they are pretty low res because of photobucket. however it is RUST FREE. a Cali car with oil leaks. :wink:
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Wow!!! Keep up the good work man... Props for saving it!!
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

Next would be the 5mt swap. This being my second one, so you would think it would have been pretty uneventful. :roll: i neglected to add a starter interlock relay or wire the cruise control. The reason for not adding starter interlock relays was that they were problematic on my blue car, and I ended up removing them. I liked being able to start the car without having my foot on the clutch. I like to live dangerously lol. As for the cruise, I did not have the energy to figure it out during the swap. it is definitely on the list as cruise makes life so much better when any length of interstate is involved. I'll experiment with using a 4eat Cruise computer with 5mt. Superrallysoob hooked it up with a trans adaptor pigtail pre made.
While searching for a transmission on craigslist, I came across an ad of someone who sold subaru engines and transmissions. I ended up buying the whole swap kit from him since he had a parts car and "connections." John Wells the subaru guy hooked it up for a very reasonable price and even delivered the stuff to my driveway. He's crazy but awesome.
I ended up with a 3.9 impreza trans and a cable clutch setup. I like the cable clutches for their ease of setup and adjustment and simplicity compared to a hydraulic setup. Their downfalls are of course lack of clutch options and some say lack of strength. this car is going to be a DD not a race car so I will not be abusing it other than WOT pulls through a few gears and spirited driving in the twisties. If the impreza tranny lives, awesome. if not, well I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. I may go to a 4.11 cable tranny at that time.
the 5mt swap was a bitch as usual. when removing the 4eat I was splitting the engine and trans but the torque converter would not come off the engine. well as you may know, the torque converter ABSOLUTELY HAS to be fully inserted into the transmission to have enough space between the engine and firewall to drop down and out. I learned this the hard way and lots of cussing was involved. when pulling a 4eat, do yourself a favor and make sure the torque converter is free of the crank before you drop it off the lower studs.
Once I was putting the 5mt in, I left the flexplate bolts loose so the input shaft went into the clutch plate like a wet pussy. as I was tightening the flexplate bolts through the starter hole I managed to hook my socket on the edge of the starter hole and drop the socket into the bellhousing. great. just great. after killing 2 hours trying various mcguyver methods to retrieve the socket through the starter hole I said fuck it and split the trans from the engine about 2" and still couldnt find it. at this point I figured it wasnt in there and was about to put the stuff back together when out of the corner of my eye i saw it hiding there on a rib of the bell. disaster averted.
at the end of this very long and stressful day of 5mt swapping I was putting the crossmember on. I pulled the M12 plugs out of the frame and was rejoicing in the brand new threads in the frame rail. but it just continued to fight me. the crossmember was slightly too wide due to some kind of chassis flex, crossmember flex, manufacturing tolerances, who knows what. this caused me to cross thread and then strip one of the chassis holes. I cussed a blue streak after that let me assure you. but the correct tap was borrowed and all was well. everything went together just fine with valvoline dinosaur oil 75w90 in the trans and 80w90 synth in the VLSD.
proof

oh yeah....
Last edited by 206er on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

a little break from the novel writing, here's some used badges that superrallysoob hooked it up with and I restored. I just sanded the back of them with 320 grit sandpaper until it was a nice uniform surface. luckily the chrome of the letters did not flake. I masked off the front of the badges carefully with some blue painters tape and sprayed some red rustoleum. I was scared the red would be too bright but it looks great IMHO.
I have not mounted them yet. I am holding off because I am undecided on what kind of adhesive to use. superglue might attack the paint. JB weld would be too permanent. doublesided tape probably not strong enough. any input?

smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

3M Double Sided Emblem Tape from Shucks.
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

good lookin out, i've got a schmucks a couple blocks away.
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Oh... And awesome choice on beer!
~Spencer
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

the stock coolant tank had the turbo line nipple broke off at some point(big surprise) and it had a fix done to it that reaked of fail. they took a brass hose barb with NPT threads and RTV'd it into the coolant tank(the barb side, not the threads) then a bunch of RTV on the threads and the coolant line clamped to that. custom. of course this pissed coolant everywhere at anything above idle.

I made a thread about this before I decided to start this build thread. ctrl-c ctrl-v

the stock coolant tank on my car had a nipple fall off at some point in the past, and a pretty hack job repair had been attempted with a npt barp and rtv sealer. this did not last of course, and once i got the vehicle running it was apparent that I'd have to do something about the coolant tank. I didn't want to repair the aging stock tank again so I sourced a wrx tank that even came with an STi high pressure cap and extra hose. after deliberating on a few different locations for the wrx coolant tank I decided on using the stock location for simplicity's sake, and I did not want to block the easy spark plug access that we enjoy with these motors. I butted the vertical support of the tank up against the runner of the intake manifold, and the side against the AC line. We'll see if I need to change locations when i go about installing a top mount. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all stock hoses went straight on with no modification necessary, with the exception of bending the hard line at the top of the intake manifold towards the nipple on the tank and cutting a short piece of hose.
the mounting brackets that were on the wrx tank just werent configured in a way that I could use them effectively, so I drilled and tapped two holes to M6x1.0 on the thick area of metal on the support bracket. this seems to be the strongest area of the tank and has an internal rib which you are barely able to see/feel inside the tank. I then cut a piece of 1 1/2x1/8" flat strap into an L shape and drilled 3 holes in it. in hindsight it might have been better to extend the horizontal arm to utilize both bolt holes for the hard fuel line bracket on the intake manifold. I replaced the short bolt into the manifolt with one about 1.5" long, and spaced the bracket out about 3/8" with some spacers from bicycle brake pads that I had in my M6 bolt can. always save those wierd spacers and fasteners! once I had the side bracket mounted, I started on the rear one. it is just an angle bracket that attaches to the M8 mount for the stock coolant tank. I took one of the bolts out of the lid of the wrx coolant tank, got a longer allen M6x1.0 that was fully threaded, bolted the angle bracket to the tank from the underside, and then added a nut to the protruding threads to re secure the lid.

pics

Last edited by 206er on Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

Great job! I'd love to get myself a TW someday. Wagons ftw.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

once I had the 5sp in and the car was much more drivable, I still had runability problems. some vacuum lines such as the one to the fpr were swollen from contact with oil and I had to replace those as the vacuum leak was so big that it was actually kind of noisy. but I still had a misfire and major stumbling. I had since put about 5 gallons of new gas in there but when I went to change the fuel filter the stuff I poured out of the feed side was freakin grey. very dirty. some marvel mystery oil went in as well but I was still having stumbling and misfires. the plugs were good, but turns out the plug wires were not. I replaced the beck arnley garbage with NGK's. while I was at it I threw a diamond coil pack in there. the quality difference both in feel and fit and finish was remarkable. while the BA's seem to even allow water to get into the spark plug hole, the NGK's are a nice tight, solid fit with a very positive snap as you put them in. I got the NGK's from autopartswarehouse.com for 36.95+ shipping which was the cheapest I could find. gotta pay for the good stuff I guess.

major quality difference
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Beautiful. Don't see many in that color. The bumpers don't look bad. If you want to fix that chrome strip, use the same double sided tape as the badges you were asking about. That's what most trim is secured with nowadays and even the metal bracketry under the red tailgate trim is secured to the trim with that tape and even after 20 years, was held fast enough for me to break the plastic trying to separate the two (metal was rotted) even being very careful (I think the plastic got brittle with age). No big deal, though, as it gives me the excuse to ditch the red trim and replace it with an aluminum strip.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Very nice! Coming along great.

I must say one of my "must do's" is a 5spd swap. Every time I drive my SS spirited it's "I can't stand this god damn auto!"
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

do it man, your car will be better in a lot of ways. if you find someone with a parts car or you have a cheap pull a part there its actually pretty cheap to do. I think I'd rather do a 5mt swap than put a 4eat back in. those things are just a pain to deal with compared to a 5mt. :x
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

i had no shift knob so I spent a couple hours carving this one. I was going to do it in walnut, but decided to mock it up in cheaper and softer poplar first. well it was more work than i originally thought so I will just make the walnut one later. :roll:

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Not bad. I like how you extend it into the boot. Call me weird (you wouldn't be the first), but I like the rubber accordion boot, just not the way it exposes the steel rod since it doesn't meet up with the knob I use. I have a thick piece of purple heart I've debated turning into a new one, but the $1 wood knobs from the hardware store are comfortable and look decent, if old school. Maybe I could just put a sleeve of nicer metal over the steel rod.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

evolutionmovement wrote:Not bad. I like how you extend it into the boot. Call me weird (you wouldn't be the first), but I like the rubber accordion boot, just not the way it exposes the steel rod since it doesn't meet up with the knob I use. I have a thick piece of purple heart I've debated turning into a new one, but the $1 wood knobs from the hardware store are comfortable and look decent, if old school. Maybe I could just put a sleeve of nicer metal over the steel rod.
youre wierd :P
aluminum tubing would be cool and easy. you could just use the knob to tighten it down against the fat part of the shift lever.

Now I just need to find a black SS center console with black shift boot. I had a crappy grey one that I spray painted black for now but the real thing would be much better.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

passed emissions by a mile! all stock so no real surprise there, but its a weight off my mind.
been loving this car so far. so fun to just be able to spin the tires with the throttle in the wet. can't wait to start turning this thing up. building a diy electric FCD now and sourcing some other parts.
L-Tuned BD
First Gear

Post by L-Tuned BD »

Awesome build so far! Glad you saved a TW. Hopefully I'll see this thing in the flesh someday.
'95 Legacy BK - L - Original Owner - Heritage Rebuild
'93 Legacy BC - SS Sold
'91 Legacy BC - LSi sold
'95 Legacy BD - L Sold
'09 Legacy 3.0R - Sold
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My EA81s hated emissions testing, but the EJ22 always passed by a wide margin. I even checked the test results against the Mazda and, while a little worse, the wagon could pass the same 2006 standards. Or at least a few years ago. Now it passes by virtue of not running.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Now it passes by virtue of not running.
lol :lol:

Mine barely ran much in a year's time while I was doing the Link upgrade, so I was contributing to a cleaner environment.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

wooden shift knob v2.0

speed parts are trickling in, but slowly. I plan on throwing a bunch of stuff on at once.