What were you doing at 27? Under 27?, go away ;P

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

biggreen96
Third Gear

What were you doing at 27? Under 27?, go away ;P

Post by biggreen96 »

?

My recent back surgery has me bored and pretty much useless. I'm sorta depressed about not getting to do the things I like so much and being broke having not worked in 3 months(just started again). I'm graduated with a degree I don't use(and don't really want to) but still have a decent job that affords me the things that are important to me(at the moment), my rally car project, snowboarding, biking.

But a recent breakup has me thinking hmmm, maybe those things should be replaced(for the time being) by another more useful degree(engineering). WAPCE? Continue doing MY thing? Finish my rally car project and then go back to school for a few year to be able to afford better rally projects down the road?? Sigh...
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

Well I'm under 27... so I think your title just told me to go away...
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

haha, yea. Turning 27 is an event. It changes you. If you haven't turned 27 yet, well, you just can't understand the pressure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Well, you could always turn to drugs
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I tried, but weed and booze bore me now and I'm deathly afraid of needles and powders!

ps do you know of any cool places to spin cookies and donuts out here in Pullman?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Apex3 wrote:Well, you could always turn to drugs
Lol, the last time I did any kind of drug was age 27. Also found out I was going to be a father at 27, so maybe that's one of the reasons I quit?

Also, biggreen96, I have two AA degrees, was trained for something in the military that's completely outside of my interests (component level circuit board repair - whoopee I could be making $13.56 an hour soldering electronic toys), and am unemployed. Back in school for my 1st Bachelors (business), getting married and having a kid in 2010...

I hate that I have to get a crappy job to be able to support my little family, while going to school full time. Also we're moving back in with my fiance's mother next year when our current contract is up because we can't afford to keep ourselves. My cool SS is down, and won't be fixed for a long while at this rate.

Sorry for the rant but 2009 was a bad year for me.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

biggreen96 wrote:I tried, but weed and booze bore me now and I'm deathly afraid of needles and powders!

ps do you know of any cool places to spin cookies and donuts out here in Pullman?
Ohh another one, I didn't even notice.

I kinda just do it everywhere, lol, even have a nice little spot in my parking lot. The only place I really know though is the parking lot for the indoor practice facility for the football players, it's out of the way and no one really seems to go there at night, or any other time for that matter.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I'm not 27 yet, or even close to it haha. but what did you have surgery on your back for? I had surgery for scoliosis about 5 years ago, and it has limited some activities that I really wish I could do, but I was very suprised on some of the activities my doctor OKed
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I wrecked my back, herniated a couple disks actually, by years of abusive snowboarding and then a spectacular wreck on my downhill bike in mid august at Whistler during Crankworx. <-Almost the best birthday road trip ever.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

biggreen96 wrote:I wrecked my back, herniated a couple disks actually, by years of abusive snowboarding and then a spectacular wreck on my downhill bike in mid august at Whistler during Crankworx. <-Almost the best birthday road trip ever.
You sound like future me. Not looking forward to the day I do the same.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Hold for *normal* thoughts.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

haha yeah, the thing that suprised me is that my doctor said i can go snowboarding and stuff like that, but not ride dirtbikes and shit... it sucks, but w/e
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Trying to find a publisher interested in Midnight in a Perfect World and writing the second one. Job also went to Malaysia that year. Good riddance to it.

Wait until you're 30 and, like Julius Caesar, can realize that Alexander the Great had conquered much of the known world by that age. But I didn't cry about it like he did. Friggin' baby.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

Pressure? You kids don't know pressure! :lol:
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Didn't you sell me your sunroof in Seattle recently? I never would have guessed you were 27. At least I think it was you...I thought you were much closer to my age, 22.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Making two car payments, one for my brother (long story). Paying rent and utilities for myself and my brother (long story). Working for way less than I was worth.

Reeling at the Packers not getting back-to-back Superbowl wins again after losing to John Elway's Broncos.

I've never touched drugs or booze, so I never had to "kick" them.

At least I had no debt, good friends and was only moments away from meeting my future wife.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

kimokalihi wrote:Didn't you sell me your sunroof in Seattle recently? I never would have guessed you were 27. At least I think it was you...I thought you were muchY closer to my age, 22.
Yup, that was me. 27.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I was probably dealing with my psycho bitch ex gf at that time....

I'll kind of ramble here....you can listen or tell me to go fly a kite, either way I'm going to type. I turned 30 this year. Honestly, it was no big fucking deal. Age is really just a perception of the mind. Yes your body does tell you it is getting older when you can't recover from a night of drinking as quickly, or you joints ache, or make noises (my knees), but really your mind has more to do with overall psyche & perception about age.

I've met more "older" individuals that put less emphasis on age then people that are younger. Some of that comes with life experience, and just outgrowing the BS. But the bottom line is you have to be comfortable with yourself whether it be looks, age, career/job, ability or disability, etc, etc. If you can not come to terms with that, the chances of you being happy or simply content with your life is unlikely.

If there is something about your life you are unhappy about, change it! I can't stress that enough, and yes I know that's easier said than done. But when it boils down to it, I would say the majority of people take the path of least resistance. It's always easier to go with the flow. It may not take you where you want to go, but for that instance, it's easier.

I was emailing a friend of mine the other day who's a psychologist. He had met the psycho ex gf. He was asking if I was still single or not. This is what I told him:

"I am still single. Really haven't even bothered dating or looking for that matter. Between work, traveling, working on vehicles, and other BS, I really don't have much extra time. I should probably try to meet some new people. I am happy and comfortable where I am. I know people get "comfortable" where they are at and don't venture out to new things. I enjoy doing new things, but also feel they need to come naturally, and not forced. So I'm fine with just letting things happen when they happen."

I threw that last bit out there almost as a contradiction to what I said above about going with the flow. In my opinion, it most certainly is easier being single than being in a relationship, but at this moment, I am happy and comfortable with where I'm at. So why go and fuck it up prematurely. When I'm ready, I'll get out there. I've been there before....I'm just not at that stage right now.

Anyway....to wrap things up, you need to do what you think is going to make you happy, regardless of how difficult it may seem at the moment. And if half way through your original plan, you decide that it really isn't what you want to do, make a new plan. However, don't just quit or change plans because it's difficult.

I'm rambling....so I'll leave it at that.

Cliff notes: Age is a perception of the mind. Do what makes you happy. Fuck the path of least resistance.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Wise words 777. 27 needs to be the year of the happy, get my back on shape to hit the trails again and finishing the rally car before the end of September so I can race Wild West.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'm 28, and finally graduating this May. Last year, and this year I guess, I hate being in this shit hole of a college town, surrounded by 20-21 shit heads. Don't get me wrong, I was a shit head when I was that age. I'm just tired of this life and want to get on with things. Most of my friends are out of school, do normal things, and have weekends off.

Of course, its my own fault for being in school for so damn long. Screwing off at UMD didn't really help things. It was partially due to a bad breakup with a woman. Go figure.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

93forestpearl wrote:I'm 28, and finally graduating this May. Last year, and this year I guess, I hate being in this shit hole of a college town, surrounded by 20-21 shit heads. Don't get me wrong, I was a shit head when I was that age. I'm just tired of this life and want to get on with things. Most of my friends are out of school, do normal things, and have weekends off.

Of course, its my own fault for being in school for so damn long. Screwing off at UMD didn't really help things. It was partially due to a bad breakup with a woman. Go figure.
I'm a 21 year old shit head and I'm already tired of being here :lol: I've been in college 3.5 years, I'm ready to move on, got 1.5 years left though :(

BTW good advice 777, that's how I always try to live my life. Actually that's why I'm at this school, wasn't happy at home in Renton, so I decided to do something completely different, now I'm in a small farm/college town, it was great for a while, I'm bored of it though, when I'm out of school I'm moving to Japan. That should fulfill this change that I'm constantly after, and if nothing else I'll learn some things about myself, and own some badass cars.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'll echo Josh. I've done the holding pattern thing and wasted my time. No longer and, though the number of my rants would seem to contradict it, my life is fairly stress free and I'm doing mostly what I want.

My biggest problem with aging is the condition the women my age degenerate into. The attrition rate of attractive women takes off exponentially after 30. Sure, I could be the creepy old guy going after younger women with daddy issues, but they annoy me and I don't like being a creep.

I don't understand why people don't make more changes when they're miserable. What's it going to get worse? I've found that the more chances you take trying to do something you feel you should be doing, the more opportunities come your way. Not to make it sound like New Age-synergy shit, but it does seem to work that way. Sure, I'm not rolling in money from book sales, but bumping into my publisher at a car show for old Subarus is pretty serendipitous and the book is very slowly gaining steam. In the end, no matter what, I still did something many people want to do, but never sacrifice the time for. Next I'll be attempting to build a car of my own design because I've wanted to do that since I was at least 11. I'm not rich, so it will just take me longer to do it. What else would I do with the money? Save it for retirement only to be hit by a bus at 45 anyway or sit, old and bitter, regretting what I didn't do? No thanks. "Dream a little dream or you can live a little dream. I'd rather live it cuz dreamers always chase but never get it."
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

Be thankful for what you have rather than dwell on what you don't. I know it sounds like optimistic BS but; you could be wasting your time at a dead-end job, barely making ends meet, dreaming about the degree you could be getting w/ your GI bill $ that you can't use because you have to support the 1.5 kids and make the mortgage payment that was a good investment at the time.
[quote="RJ93SS"]u fail, epicly[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]Don't do drugs, kids, men may not need nipples, but we look a lot funnier without them.[/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

evolutionmovement wrote:"Dream a little dream or you can live a little dream. I'd rather live it cuz dreamers always chase but never get it."
Aesop Rock - No regrets? Love that song.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Absolutely. Discovered him recently through a connection to The Mountain Goats.