4EAT ---> 5MT swap

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

teaguespeed
First Gear

4EAT ---> 5MT swap

Post by teaguespeed »

i have a '91 legacy turbo automatic that i wish was a 5 speed. The swap sounds terribly complex to me, but i dont really know much about this kind of stuff. I'm wondering how complex it really is, in simple terms. I know that the 4wd systems in the 4EAT and 5MT were slightly different, the automatic being electronic. In the case of a swap would this also need to be replaced? Also how many miles are these engines expected to last for, i have 116k on mine, how much longer does it have? From all my observations it runs awesome. Thanks
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Read this first, which it doesn't sound like you have, then see how you feel afterwards:

http://www.xmission.com/~dac/library/tr ... onvert.htm

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Lemme toss in $.02 here...

I have 116k on my NA and my compression is the same as a new car, if you do at least basic maintenance, these are high-mileage motors...

The 4WD system is encompassed in the transmission, so by doing the swap you're swapping the 4WD system anyway...

The engine electronics are the problematic areas when it comes to swaps, but you can read all that in his link...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Actually, electronics really isn't too much of an issue. Snip the AT identifier wire going to the ECU, rewire up the back up lights & shift interlock feature with the clutch button.

That should be it.....may not......not sure if that would take care of cruise control as well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

The cruise isn't very difficult, the pedal assy has to be replaced and they are fairly cheap as there is little demand for them and the cruise switches will have to be installed and wired. If the transmission that you get has wear and or grooves in the front snout we have a kit to repair this and now would be the time to do it ( I am pulling my tranny to repair this as the clutch is chattering) we also have a improved modified clutch slave cylinder at a price lower than dealer.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

im actually not doing the swap yet, just pursuing teh information ahead of time, and i dont have much money at the moment.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."