EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rob
First Gear

EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Post by rob »

Ok, due to popular demand and a lot of arm twisting, here is a thread dedicated to the chip tunes I offer the EJ20G crowd. I will fill in the placeholders when I get more time.

EDIT:

Moved this info to the FAQ on my website; http://www.robtune.com/general.html

Admin edit: The link above is dead, but it is still accessible on the Internet Archive
Last edited by rob on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 9 times in total.
rob
First Gear

Re: EJ20G "RobTune" Info

Post by rob »

LegacyCentral Users:

MikeyMeyagi - up and running
logan9691 <soon>
florin1 <soon>
Last edited by rob on Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

<reserved for future content>
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

i can't clicky "Results
Logistics/Costs
How this relates to EJ22T
Future plans
More about me"
Cost is my topic. haha
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
LookAsubie
First Gear

Post by LookAsubie »

Sounds like you've got a very good thing going, keep it up!
Im very insterested :-D
1992 legacy SS 5mt, Winestone Metallic.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Nice to see you make an appearance here Rob. I've been pointing folks towards Nasioc for a while now when EJ20G chips come up.

I know you usually reccomend swapping to GD coils when your chips are installed, but what do you think about using the stock wasted spark system on our Legacies? I've got a write up of how to use an EJ20G ECU with almost zero wiring changes, but it involves keeping the stock coil pack.

Post or PM me details on purchasing and I'll be the LegacyCentral guinne pig. My car is already set-up and has a Legacy EJ20G w/TD04.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Ohhh i wanna be a pig too! i got a 91 ss with ej20g, and 94ss w/ td04 soon vf43 with 550's
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

really interested here. Tell us what we gotta do!
VF43 custom FMIC APEXI intake Invidia 3" TBE JDM Ver. 4 RA STi trans (4.44) SPT short shifter rear LSD WRX rear axels coilover suspension JDM 4-pot front brakes drilled slotted rottors Greddy EBC tuned 20G ECU sti 550cc injectors Jecs MAF walbro 255
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

+1 for great reviews from customers. Hope this can be done for the 22t's
VF43 custom FMIC APEXI intake Invidia 3" TBE JDM Ver. 4 RA STi trans (4.44) SPT short shifter rear LSD WRX rear axels coilover suspension JDM 4-pot front brakes drilled slotted rottors Greddy EBC tuned 20G ECU sti 550cc injectors Jecs MAF walbro 255
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

PhyrraM wrote:Nice to see you make an appearance here Rob. I've been pointing folks towards Nasioc for a while now when EJ20G chips come up.

I know you usually reccomend swapping to GD coils when your chips are installed, but what do you think about using the stock wasted spark system on our Legacies? I've got a write up of how to use an EJ20G ECU with almost zero wiring changes, but it involves keeping the stock coil pack.

Post or PM me details on purchasing and I'll be the LegacyCentral guinne pig. My car is already set-up and has a Legacy EJ20G w/TD04.
I will have to think about the ignition part. My gut says probably ok, but I need to refresh my understanding of timing and dwell control. I'll get back to you about this.

Do you have any dyno results with your current setup?

-Rob
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

If this will work on a EJ22T with yellow tops, a TD05, and a JECS MAF... sold! Can't wait to see how this develops, keep up the good work.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Subbb scriiiiiibed! :-D
'94 TW
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

rob wrote:I have not explored how to expand this capability to EJ22T, SVX, or EJ20K ECUs, nor do I have an immediate plans to
You lost me :(
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Apex3 wrote:
rob wrote:I have not explored how to expand this capability to EJ22T, SVX, or EJ20K ECUs, nor do I have an immediate plans to

The chip is specifically for an EJ20G ECU running an EJ20G motor. It does not apply to running the stock EJ22T motor, or any of the others he listed. Although he has had requests for the others.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

Well I'd be interested in adapting it to my EJ22T. Is there any way of advancing the timing to make up for the drop in CR in the 2.2's, not sure if that would be simple to do or not. Would it be do able to put one of these in, throw it on the dyno and see whats going on there and make any necessary changes to optimize it for the 22t's? Like rob said in theory it should all work pretty perfectly since most of us want the better MAF and injectors anyways, that only leaves the ignition to deal with.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

PhyrraM wrote:
Apex3 wrote:

The chip is specifically for an EJ20G ECU running an EJ20G motor. It does not apply to running the stock EJ22T motor, or any of the others he listed. Although he has had requests for the others.
I got it I just didn't word that well, I'm sad he's not doing an ej22t tune
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

This could convince me to keep my TD05 and find some injectors. Is the 06/07 TMIC good enough to run TD05 and 520 or 550 injectors with this ECU on my EJ20G?

Also, what if we don't have the EJ20G ecu to send you? I have one from a 97 JDM forester, will that work?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Since the disappearance of revtronix, there are quite a few people who were kind of waiting in line for something like this.

There are a few of us who would be more than happy to provide a car for extended amounts of time to help you ( help us) work the EJ22T ECU.

Myself included ( as I have two legacy turbos, one with a piggy back, so you can actually pull my tables and see before you start tweaking)

There are quite a few of us with two simple set-ups: 06 TMIC/440/TD05, or 06 TMIC/Stock or 440s/ TD04

Or another option would be to find a cheap/easy DIY for changing out to the EJ20G and modifying the wiring/coil/maf issues.

If you want to discuss it in length, I am willing to bet quite a few of us would meet locally ( even in Puyallup so you don't have to go anywhere.)

D
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

Ok, time to catch up a bit...
logan9691 wrote:Well I'd be interested in adapting it to my EJ22T. Is there any way of advancing the timing to make up for the drop in CR in the 2.2's, not sure if that would be simple to do or not. Would it be do able to put one of these in, throw it on the dyno and see whats going on there and make any necessary changes to optimize it for the 22t's? Like rob said in theory it should all work pretty perfectly since most of us want the better MAF and injectors anyways, that only leaves the ignition to deal with.
Sure, it's possible to change the ignition maps, but it's a royal pain tuning with an eprom. It would probably take a few dyno runs and a local (or my own) car to collect data with. First, I would be interested in how the current tunes run at std CR.
brand wrote:If this will work on a EJ22T with yellow tops, a TD05, and a JECS MAF... sold! Can't wait to see how this develops, keep up the good work.
This is probably the best setup to try first as it's the closest to my current configuration.
kimokalihi wrote:This could convince me to keep my TD05 and find some injectors. Is the 06/07 TMIC good enough to run TD05 and 520 or 550 injectors with this ECU on my EJ20G?

Also, what if we don't have the EJ20G ecu to send you? I have one from a 97 JDM forester, will that work?
The 06/07 TMIC should be fine, assuming you have good ducting. All of my testing has been with the slanty IC which is pretty small. If you don't have an EJ20G ECU, then it's time to go hunting on ebay.uk or calling around the engine importers like JHOT or East Coast Swappers. I do have a small supply of spare EJ20G ECUs, so I have a couple I would consider selling. No the late model EJ20G ECU's won't work. They are basically EJ20k ECUs. The easiest way to tell is to count plugs; 4-plugs good, 3-plugs bad.
dscoobydoo wrote:Since the disappearance of revtronix, there are quite a few people who were kind of waiting in line for something like this.

There are a few of us who would be more than happy to provide a car for extended amounts of time to help you ( help us) work the EJ22T ECU.

Myself included ( as I have two legacy turbos, one with a piggy back, so you can actually pull my tables and see before you start tweaking)

There are quite a few of us with two simple set-ups: 06 TMIC/440/TD05, or 06 TMIC/Stock or 440s/ TD04

Or another option would be to find a cheap/easy DIY for changing out to the EJ20G and modifying the wiring/coil/maf issues.

If you want to discuss it in length, I am willing to bet quite a few of us would meet locally ( even in Puyallup so you don't have to go anywhere.)

D
Thanks for the info. These are the pieces to the puzzle I need; understanding what the community in general is looking for and what are the standard mod packages that closely match what I have. Having locals who are willing to provide cars to test on, have some good datalogging capabilities (Innovate LM2 would be a good choice) and invest in some dyno runs will go a long way. If anybody has a revtronix ECU to loan out, I could take a look and figure out what's involved in chipping the stock ECU from a hardware perspective. It would take some time to figure out how to modify the maps/etc. I could invest some time to at least see what it would take. It sounds like there is plenty of interest.

My early assessment is that folks interested in chip tunes can fall into 3 categories;

1) 520 Yellow injectors/JECS MAF/some form of Intercooler/modified harness to run EJ20G ECU
2) 440 EJ20G injectors/JECS MAF/some form of Intercooler/modified harness to run EJ20G ECU
3) Other standard mods, desire for more boost, on stock ECU

Is that about right?
I think the first two are the easiest in terms of matching what I already provide.

-Rob
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

That sounds right to me. People with TD04s or VF8s or similar would most likely be on gray tops and people with TD05s or VF39s would be on yellow tops, so those 2 options would cover a lot of bases. This would be a great choice for people with stock heads that don't want to mess with too much wiring, and I hope it works out. Appreciate you coming over to this forum and sharing the info and taking your time to delve into it. Like dscoobydoo said, plenty of people here would be willing to help out. I'd loan you an SS to test on if I didn't live 1000 miles away.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

My car has been running the 550 tune with a n/a jecs maf, and dual legacy igniters to drop back to the stock wasted spark. On my 22t/25d hybrid, it runs excellent. i would say it runs way better then it did on the stock 22t ecu. once the ecu learns my car a bit better i will go out with my wideband and get some afr readings under full boost, but as of now the drivability is superb. Rob was excellent to work with on this endeavor, and it has been well worth the money.
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
logan9691
Second Gear

Post by logan9691 »

MikeyMeyagi wrote:My car has been running the 550 tune with a n/a jecs maf, and dual legacy igniters to drop back to the stock wasted spark. On my 22t/25d hybrid, it runs excellent. i would say it runs way better then it did on the stock 22t ecu. once the ecu learns my car a bit better i will go out with my wideband and get some afr readings under full boost, but as of now the drivability is superb. Rob was excellent to work with on this endeavor, and it has been well worth the money.
Thats the set up that I will have in the near future. Where do I get in line for one of these?
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Would it be possible to make an emulator to tune a specific car/setup with?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

beatersubi wrote:Would it be possible to make an emulator to tune a specific car/setup with?
From the disscussions ive had with Rob, No. The chip used makes finding a romulator that will work very very difficult.
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
rob
First Gear

Post by rob »

PhyrraM wrote: I know you usually reccomend swapping to GD coils when your chips are installed, but what do you think about using the stock wasted spark system on our Legacies? I've got a write up of how to use an EJ20G ECU with almost zero wiring changes, but it involves keeping the stock coil pack.
Thinking about it more, I don't think there would be any issues with this. Mixing ECUs and igniters won't always work due to the trigger polarity and dwell control required. Since the ECU families and igniter parts are essentially the same, there is little risk of incompatibilities. The fact that you have it working with a stock G ECU and Mike has my tune running on the dual igniter setup, that pretty much cements it. If it were me, I still would look to go with GD coils. It eliminates separate ingiters, coil pack and HT plug wires. It seems all you would need for a GD conversion is to run 4 wires from the ECU to the coils, +Batt to each coil (maybe tapped from the injectors?) and the ground wire to the mounting bolt. I don't know enough about the 22t coil pack to guess if the GD coils would give more output or not.

Either way, it shouldn't be an issue.

-Rob