Florin1's 94 Legacy SS

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Florin1
Fourth Gear

Florin1's 94 Legacy SS

Post by Florin1 »

Hello to all. I decided that i might as well start a "progress" thread too since it seems that i'm constantly doing something to this car of mine that i adore and my wife does not... :wink:
Here she is when she was mostly stock...
The current ongoing projects at the moment are: Koni Yellows, new interior (AGAIN), DOHC, FMIC, bigger turbo still... Pics to follow very soon...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re: Florin1's 94 Legacy SS

Post by Florin1 »

Ok, an update. Picked up some four pots and were a lil rough so i decided to freshen them up. While i had the rear brakes off i realized they need to be rebuilt.

To the sandblast booth

Rebuild kit for my rear calipers. Got the rust remover from O'reilly's for ~$7, and the rear caliper rebuild kit from Olympic brake supply for $5. The first kit they sold me (for the turbo/lsi sedan) didn't work, but the station wagon (turbo/lsi) kit worked perfect.

Rusted piston w/ rust remover on it.

Pre/post

Rust remover on the bleeder nut, pre/post

Ceramic coated/baked calipers

3 coats of metallic blue paint

Decals made in "sti pink" By "subaruTex" from Nasioc.

Applied

2 coats of clear coat.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very Nice work!
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Wait, what are you using for the rear brakes, matching 2-pots? Otherwise you're brake balance is gonna be super forward biased... :(
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I read trough the brake sticky and it said the 4 pots with the leg turbo rears are fine, he said they were a good match, and 2 pots rear were even better...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How much were they?
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Wonder how those decals will hold up.

Regarding the brake bias, you'll be fine with the 4 pots
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

thanks Josh, thats what i thought from what i read. Think the decals will hold up fine. i clear coated over the decals. Its worked in the past for me.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Update. Came across some Brembos for front and rear off a 05+. Guy included lines, knuckles, disks and front struts. I purchased them. Here is where i'm at. I got the rears done. Problem is it seems like my axles dont come trough the rotor far enough. i can get the 32mm nut on the axle and probably bite about 3 threads, but im afraid under a hard launch it might strip or brake the tip of the axle. Are there other axles that have a longer tip?
For the front: Got the old knuckle off (abs sensors suck) and the new one mounted. Problem: I notice the ABS sensor has a different location on the new knuckle. Also, the sti knuckle doesnt have the "teeth" for the abs sensor. I said, oh well, no abs. Once i screwed down the 32mm nut, the axle wasnt able to rotate... I read trough jamal's thread and it doesnt say anything about me running into these issues... Any help?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So you're using the hub assemblies too and 5x114.3 wheels?
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Yeah got hubs and wheels also. But I need someone who's done this swap chime in... Who on here has done it? Or should I start another thread?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

if you're going to use the STi hubs you need to use the STi axles and consequently the r180 rear diff. i also think that without changing the tranny you wont be able to use the front axles unless they're are female style axles where they connect to the tranny.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Thanks for chiming in Jake. Yeah i'm going from one issue to another. Here is a breakdown of the last two days.
yeah a great deal. I actually got the rears to work, i was just worried about how much thread the axle nut was biting into, but then i moved to the front of the car, and once i replaced the whole knuckle assy, i realized that the front axles really dont work at all, so, i put my old knuckle back on, and redrilled the rotors for 5x100. Having done that, now i got to go back to the rear and change that back set up to 5x100 again.
So yesterday, i slid hammered out my hubs so i could swap the two, well guess what, they cant be swapped because the size difference. Does anyone make a wheel bearing that is some sort of a reducer from sti o/s to regular subaru inside? So basically a fatter wheel bearing... Probably not. So i was gonna swap backing plates, but those are also different sizes and non interchangeable. (one option would be to plasma cut out the two packing plates and re weld. Lots of work but doable)

That leaves me with my next option 06/07 backing plates @ about $70 each from the dealer. If i do this option, that will leave me w/ no parking brake. Fix for that is $500 DBA rotors or those shoes from godspeed at another $500.

So i probably will just go the last route without the ebrake...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

freakin awesome work on those calipers! hope you got em for a cheap price originally since you had to put so much work into em.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

not too cheap. lol. But cheaper than usual. Now i'm probably not even gonna use them since i got brembos. I might still throw them on my other car...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Not going to use them...how much? lol
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

get in line. Mike-Tracy is got his eye on them. lol
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Not worried probably too much for me to be spending right now anyway.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Bump this thread.
So it looks like I'm back to the 94. I'm all done messing with the 91, and its time to get this bad boy going. I haven't touched the car in over a year. SO i rolled it into the garage a few days ago, and started putting it back together. The car ended up being a parts car/donor for my 91, so there were a lot of parts i pulled off it to add to my 91. I got all the misc. crap put back on. I also installed a vf22 EWG'd with a tial 38mm, hks up/dwn pipe, and have a borla cat back. I fired it up today, and know it runs.

Plans for immediate future are:
Brembos
Either my all black 04 wrx seats or jdm v1-6 dark blue seats
ej257
v3 20k sti heads
Robtune

Further down the road:
6 speed swap
Stand alone
GT30/35r Rotated
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

UPDATE

Post by Florin1 »

Been really busy with work, and so I haven't had much time to work on the car, and even less time to take pictures and pull a Kimo. Been busy trying to get the car up to par for the Big Subaru show next weekend at PIR. (pacific raceways). Here's what I did so far.

Pulled off stock shocks, and cut the tops off them. (Make sure to drill the bottom of the strut to relieve the pressure).

Rear shock only needs a hole yey big.

Front struts get bump extenders, so the strut needs to be bored out. Comparison picture.

The Koni. >:)

Next was brakes. No pictures of the sandblasting.
Primered.
Paint
Decaled & Clear coated

After that, i decided to get rid of the amber in the tails. Warning, NOT as easy as on the 91 ss. I actually had to bake them in the oven @ 190* for 15-20min.

And a little sneak peek.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Lol not everyone works slow enough to take tons of pictures allong the way like i do. :) its a skil I've honed over the years. Can't see the pics at work even on my phone because of the firewall but im excited to see it. 91 front swap! Do it.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So, give me those blue brakes...actually I think you sold them but I still want them. For free though. :) Car looks nice with those wheels and brakes on it.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Yeah those are long gone. Funny part is the guy that put them on killed them. He didn't check if his wheels would clear, and once he bolted the wheels on he tried to drive off and scccrreeeeaaaaccchhhh. What a run on...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Yeah those are long gone. Funny part is the guy that put them on killed them. He didn't check if his wheels would clear, and once he bolted the wheels on he tried to drive off and scccrreeeeaaaaccchhhh. What a run on...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Damn. Lame.