What would cause boost to drop dramatically?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

What would cause boost to drop dramatically?

Post by Mattheww044 »

Hey guys, I was just curious what would be the causes of my boost significantly dropping in the higher RPMs.
I have checked all of my vac/ IC lines and hoses and snugged them all up with zip-ties or tightening the clamps. It seems to be dropping for 8-9ish psi down to about 5 in first gear.

While on the topic, I know that the higher the gear, the more boost you will see at WOT. But at this point, I am only hitting the 9ish in first and as much as 17-18psi in fifth on the freeway. Like I said, I know it is normal to see higher boost in higher gears, but is it supposed to be that dramatic?

Could these be signs of my vf-11 going out? Could I possibly be missing a leak somewhere?
Could a "faulty" BCS cause these issues? I am running an MBC, so my BCS is only hooked up electrically, so that is why I ruled that out, even though I have had the BCS CEL come on.

I am swapping my TD04 on as soon as I get my gaskets in the mail, hopefully doing the swap next weekend, but I would like to figure out what is causing this wierd boost issues one way or another.
Thanks in advance
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: What would cause boost to drop dramatically?

Post by douglas vincent »

Try a "helper" spring on the wastegate. Sometimes the wastegate blows open when it should not... That was my issue....
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

Are you running the stock BPV? I have blown up a few of those stock ones, and usually the symptom was no more then 9-10 psi in 1-2 gears and much higher in 4-5th.

Also be sure to check for any tears in hoses or popped off hoses off the intake manifold and around the MBC.

A good way to check for leaks is to cap off the intake at the turbo and blow air from an air compressor into the small line off the BPV into the intake manifold....blow air for a few seconds, then stop and listen for hissing.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

hmmmm... Douglas I suppose I will put the TD04 on and see if the problem continues. If it goes away than that would probably be the issue.

And Macipusy I am running the stock BPV, but i don't believe it is blown up. I have a spare I can try though. Hoses are all fine.

Could it possibly be my turbo going out? Or would those symptoms be more dramatic?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't think the turbo has much to do with this....other than what Doug talked about for the wastegate solenoid.

You should not see that large of a boost swing. Honestly, I would suggest going back to the stock boost control and see if the problem still exists.

I'd tend to agree with Maciek's analysis. Pull the BPV and try blowing throw it to see if it leaks.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

BPV was my first thought too.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

ok, I will try swapping the BPV, and if that doesn't work then I will try going back to the stock BCS as well. If the BCS does solve the issue, then that would indicate that the MBC/lines are leaking I take it?
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Ok, my Bpv is definately leaking. I would have checked that, but I just put on a metal one from a supra. When i put it on there was no leak at all, but after checking it no, there is literally no resistance, its like blowing through a straw, both ways. Thanks again