Tony's 91 SS 29Dec R.I.P.

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Tony's 91 SS 29Dec R.I.P.

Post by SILINC3R »

Well after many years of searching, I finally have an SS. A 91 SS to be exact. After many months, 10 in fact, it came home with me. Unfortunately to the disturbing find that there was no more oil in the engine cause the oil return line decided tp split. However back to the story of how I accuried my new car.
It was many months ago and some board members decided to have a get together a local pizza place and share some laughs, some stories and some beers. Here I met Mike-Tracey along with some of the other members and told him how I was/had been looking for an SS for quite sometime. Eventually we all gathered outside for some pictures and parted ways. A couple days afterwards, Mike sent me a message giving me a heads up that he was probably going to sell his red 91 and told me before he posted on here just in case I was really interested in buying an SS. So he gave me a price and we worked it out with some payment action. Unfortunately I had only a short while before I got underway but it gave me some time to gather the money and Mike some time to get it back up and running.
Well I came back around late march and handed him the last payment and he handed me the title. However, the car wasn't ready yet. No big deal I had time. Mike called me up sometime after that and told me the car was running but a little funny. Well another friend Steven, aka EJ KILLA who I had met cause I bought some EJ22T heads from was helping Mike diagnose the situation. They suspected and was hoping it was the turbo so they switched it out real quick and that didn't work. By this time I was staying in Bellingham, WA because our boat was in dry dock. So they went to the old compression check to find that the piston rings were most likely the cause. So Steven informed me that he could do the surgery and the car could be resurrected. So I said, lets do it.
We then fumbled with the idea of rebuilding the 22T but cost and time were of importance. I had around a month until I got underway again and Steven was in school and coming up on break before going back. We started looking for rebuild kits and were getting ready when Steven discovered that there was indeed something worse than was originaly thought. Well !@#$, now that was my initial reaction. Then he informed me that the battle wasn't lost and that he had a JDM STi 2.0L short block that we might be able to use instead. Well, I said, ah yea that would be sick but the cost came up again. However, he said as long as nothing was wrong with the block it would be cheaper to rebuild than the 22T so we went for it. Now we just had to source some heads. Again Mike came to the rescue and offered up an extra set of DOHC WRX heads. So I paid the piper and said, good day sir. Then I had to go underway and had to wait for any port visit that I could get so I could use the internet and see if any progress was made. The block and crank checked out and the heads as well.
I made it back from the patrol and was ready for the car but it wasn't ready for me yet. The three of us met at Mike's auto yard and begin the installing of the engine. While Steven worked, Mike and I drank some beers and he showed me all the stuff he got from the junk yard. Eventually we got everything put were it went and it was ready for starting time. Guess what, she started on the first try believe it or not. However, there was a tiny hole in the lower radiator hose and she had to stay the week at the auto yard once again until the team could reassemble. So I got a lower rad hose from Subaru and Steven installed it and we started our journey to Seattle.
Upon arrival to base, Steven noticed that the oil light had turned on. So we parked it and took a look and no oil. We hoped the light was true and it had just ran out only minutes ago but no way to tell. I was able to see the oil return line was in bad shape and decided that was the culprit. The next day I got a new hose and uninstalled the down pipe and the turbo for the first time ever. Put the new hose on, reinstalled everything, filled her up with oil and started her up. Guess what I did alright and there was no leaks or puddles.
And so, after many years of searching, many months, 2 patrols of waiting and misfortunes. I have her safe at home on base with her older sister to keep her company when I am away. Well, sorry that was so long but I hope you enjoyed my story.

Big thanks to Steven for all the engine work and to both Steven and Mike for using many of their weekends to help bring it all together. In short it was a blast and great to hangout with fellow board members as well as friends.

pics to come as soon as I get another camera. It got jacked in Mexico, no joke.

91 SS rio red auto

Mods: Updated 21Dec 014

Car:
91 Legacy SS Sedan-$1450

Engine:
JDM STi EJ20k block
USDM WRX EJ20G heads Engine build cost-$1674
EJ20 ECU, 440cc and JECS-$250
WRX TD04 turbo
WRX TMIC Turbo upgrade-$150
JDM WRX TD04 90* inlet-$140
Perrin heat shield-$70
WRX BOV adapter plate-$18
Tsudo 3" stainless down pipe-$120

Wheels:
16X7 Gold Preo-R Speedlines- $800

Brakes:
02-03 WRX front brake setup-$150

Suspension:
WRX springs
Sti Group N engine mounts-$150
STi Group N tranny mount-$80
Kartboy Tranny crossmember bushings-$30

Interior:
full black interior-$350
JDM stainless scuff plates-$150
Nardi Torino-$200
EDM electric gauge cluster-$150
APEXi boost gauge-$80
AEM wideband-$180
APEXi AVC-R-$150
APEXi turbo timer-$50

Exterior:
EDM headligts-$300
EDM tail lights with fogs-$200
EDM power folding mirrors-$200
EDM head light washer system-$100
EDM fog lights-$105
RS-RA corners-$110
David Carter Hood-$675 includes shipping

Drivetrain:
5spd swap-$755

Not complete total=$8837

When I bought and brought it home
At the end
Last edited by SILINC3R on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
mike-tracy

Re: Tony's 91 SS

Post by mike-tracy »

Hey, give yourself some credit, in addition to drinking some beers you also helped align and put in the motor. ;) And cleaned a crapload of stuff, and installed the fender braces, etc etc. Like I said before, I'm glad the car went to someone to will appreciate and take care of her.

Now if only I had a working SS. :(

You coming to the Veterans Day drive with kleinkid, myself and company?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good story! I believe that get together was last year around this time. I was up there for Thanksgiving and we met at Stellar Pizza.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Legacy777 wrote:Good story! I believe that get together was last year around this time. I was up there for Thanksgiving and we met at Stellar Pizza.
you are indeed correct.
heck yea but when is it thursday? and where is it?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi Tony, the guys are meeting in Oak Harbor at 10am on the 11th, driving through Arlington, then on to Darrington, and taking that road back through through Granite Falls.

I was planning on meeting up with them in Arlington, but my wife said she'd rather start in Oak Harbor and do the whole cruise. So you could join up either place, just make sure to PM kleinkid.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

So started working on the first problem, blower motor not working. i have singled out the motor relay but have actually seen it. i am hoping i do not need to pull the dash in order to get to it. i have searched threads and am positive it is this as well as checked.
next thing will be the sunroof leak... yea. second car with it, first one is fixed
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Dr. Mike Tracy is a sunroof surgeon. He'll be happy to help you!
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

So break-in period
15/500 miles, cleaned it as much as I could today. Lots of cleaning that has to be done. motor and tranny fell smooth though. suspension not so smooth.

11/12/10- 155/500 miles. Drove down to Fort Lewis with EJ KILLA to install a rear right strut and try and fix the leaking sunroof. We used a 98 Legacy strut. Note the top hat is bigger than the SS hat so we just switch the spring and top hat and were good to go. Pulled the sunroof out and unfortunately we could slide the glass back so i did the best i could with the silicone to seal it hope it helps. all drain plugs were unclogged so not to sure were it was coming from but should be good. now just have to get the dash out and find the blower motor relay.
Last edited by SILINC3R on Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yeah, nice work. I'm 99% sure the suspension is 1991 vintage, lol. Wish my auto was that smooth. So has most of the ticking gone away?

-Mike
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

well for the most part yes. its amazing how different both the cars are. the 91 has a lot of work that needs to be done but there are some things that make me wish the 90 was a good.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

update blower fan is working so i have defrost and heat. sunroof is sealed for now. fixing and cleaning interior pieces. boost guage, oil pressure gauge and catch can coming soon.

11/17/2010 200/500 miles
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

so snow came in to Seattle today and decided I would go play in it since I have never really driven it. Unfortunaately I forgot that my coolant was still only water so as I was driving the temp increased and I had to shut her down. I ran back to my room and grabbed the antifreeze and went back to the car to drain the water as best I could. filled it back with as much antifreeze as possible and it is still rising so im sure i have a block somewhere probably the radiator or atleast i hope. hoping the weather will warm back up a bit so I can finish draining out the water. But I get to leave for a patrol in a week so it probably wont happen.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Yay, you got the snow you were hoping for! Hope you weren't on the racing slicks the car came with, lol.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

things to do list
New tires, going for all weather/season-Done
Fix windshield
Upgrade front brakes with the WRX calipers i have-Done
New rear rotors and pads-Done
WRX radiator and all hoses for better reliability
Clean the heck out if the interior again
fix damn sunroof again

thing to install
New clean headlights-Done
Boost gaugeDone
Oil pressure gauge-Done
Oil catch can
Last edited by SILINC3R on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Did the red led instrument cluster mod. Very easy if you take your dash apart regularly.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

installed boost gauge
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

take a drive to Port Angeles and snaped a photo

got new tires as well. Yokohama YK520 205/55/16.
installed Subaru stock mud guards
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Yeah it was a really nice day here. I'm kinda suprised I didn't see you while you were here, the spit is one of my favorite places to go and you were there.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Is that what its called lol? To be honest I quite like the drive from Seattle and back. It doesn't seem to take to long even though 200 miles.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Oil Change at 199,882 miles.
Oil Change at 201,992 miles 10/16/11

replaced the rubber turbo oil return line with the stock part from Subaru as well as the 4 copper washers for the hard turbo oil line. tightened the tranny drain plug that has been loosening and dripping fluid everywhere.
Last edited by SILINC3R on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Confession: I reused the copper crush washers on my turbo when I put the new block in. Didn't want to wait for days for them to come in the mail. Worked fine, lol. Don't recommend it to anyone but I was impatient. I think set them on the vice and flatted them back out with a hammer prior to installing them. :)

Your car has less than 20K miles more than mine.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

got some black lug nuts at WCSS and got a Yakima Roof Rack and Bike Rack. given it that Subaru do anything look. would have looked better if all the cars werent there.

Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

i like the rack a lot. how much did it set u back?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

500 smackers, REI is having a sale till the 5th. 20% off on Yakima and Thule and lots of other stuff throughout the store. Needed a way to transport my bike when I head up to Port Angeles today.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

It looks really good. If you had a lip kit on the car and went like an inch lower, it would look so hot.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.