EJ22T Swap into NA Legacy - The List....

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

EJ22T Swap into NA Legacy - The List....

Post by wtdash »

This thread is for swapping a ’91-94 EJ22T into a stock ’89-94 NA/ non-turbo Legacy.

There are many other ways to turbo an NA car, but this thread is about keeping it as close to stock as possible, w/minimal wiring, and using original parts or from a ’02-07 USDM (US domestic market) WRX/STi. NASIOC is great resource for used parts, if not found on here.

When (not If) you find something I missed, either PM or just add a post and I'll update the original.

If adding a post w/Mods and Upgrades, e.g. MBC/bigger turbo/EM/etc., ensure you include ALL necessary parts so it's clear what it entails.

Things you should know:
- The turbo cars came stock w/better brakes and tires, among other things. Handling and braking upgrades should be done BEFORE an engine upgrade.
- Having a complete donor car is recommended, since you'll have the parts @ hand and you can see how it's setup.

The List:

• EJ22T Block, Intake Manifold (IM) w/fuel injectors, and Heads (heads have coolant and oil fittings for turbo):
o Turbo water pump
o Coolant and Oil lines for connection to head
o Other heads can be used (see Notes)

• Turbo
o Stock is VF11 (or VF10?) w/the 90° compressor inlet
o TD04 from WRX are readily avl. and w/the ’06-07 intercooler it is a good upgrade that doesn’t require tuning upgrades. Requires modification to PCV hoses and turbo compressor inlet hose.

• Fuel pump
o Used: Sti – 04-07 – may need install kit – Walbro # 400-791
o New: Walbro 255 – GSS341 use w/kit # 400-791

• Turbo Crossmember or cut/hack/ notch the NA crossmember for Up Pipe if using stock EJ22T exhaust manifold

• Turbo front sway bar if using Turbo Crossmember

• EJ22T exhaust manifold/header/up pipe (or any WRX/Sti from ’02-07?)
o Up pipe-usually comes w/exh. manifold (or any WRX/Sti -WRX has cat. conv. in up pipe)
o Bracket for turbo/up pipe

• EJ22T Downpipe (or any WRX/Sti from ’02-07?)
o O2 sensor bung @ top (right after turbo) is stock; OK @ end?

• Exhaust – Mid-pipe and axle-back. Includes catalytic converter/resonator and muffler. 2.25” is stock. Recommend 2.5”-3” tubing.

• Turbo Coolant Tank
o Requires additional plumbing
o WRX metal tanks are recommended upgrade.

• Turbo radiator mods:
o Turbo Radiator won’t fit in the NA location – too tall.
o The stock NA radiator works well but must modify the lines and radiator cap.
o There is a Post on here on HOW to set this up.....

• Harness- engine harness (has 3 plugs and runs from near battery and under the IM/on top of the engine) can be reused, but Coolant sensor and gauge wiring need extended.
o '90-'91 NA and '91 Turbo have the same 3-plug style (square); '92-'94 NA and Turbo are same (round). They can be swapped - just remember to do it BEFORE you install the IM, if it's off....IT CAN BE DONE w/OUT removing IM...I did it!!

• Turbo intake parts:
o Resonator box (usually deleted as part of ‘coffee cup’ mod)
o Inlet pipe from turbo to throttle body (if NOT using an intercooler) and using stock VF11
o Turbo ‘chimney’ – heat shield that attaches to turbo (requires a Legacy turbo hood w/scoop and shroud that the chimney connects to if going totally stock – recommend to use a WRX TD04 heat shield or turbo blanket/wrap instead.)
o Turbo compressor 90° intake hose
o PCV and Breather hoses

• Turbo IAC – Idle Air control (should be part of Turbo IM)
o NA one will work but its outlet (to the air intake) runs into turbo.

• Turbo Sensors – On passenger strut tower:
o Pressure Exchange, Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) (aka Wastegate Control), and MAP sensors

• Hitachi (metal) MAF Sensor
o No wiring changes required @ sensor or ECU if using Turbo ECU.

• Turbo ECU (ECU pin-out LINK)
o Requires additional wiring for Turbo Sensors
o Swap the Cam and Crank Positive pins @ the ECU
o Automatic and 5-speed manual ECUs are the same for ’91-94 turbos
o ECU plugs are the same - plug-and-play between NA and Turbo harness

• Legacy Turbo hood w/front air scoop (if using top- mount intercooler)
o ’91 interchange w/’89-91
o ’92-94 interchange w/’92-’94 (Sedan and Wagon are same)

*NOTES:
• Head options: Phase 1 EJ25 DOHC (requires oil and water lines drilled/tapped in head, or use alternate oil/coolant source) is a common upgrade. MUST have matching IM from DOHC.
o USDM - Phase 1 (aka Phase I) – ’89-98 EJ18, EJ22E, EJ22T, EJ25D engines. Phase 2 (Phase II) = 1999+ EJ22, EJ25, EJ20
o Exceptions: 1999 Legacy GT and Outback used a Phase 2 EJ25 block w/Phase 1 EJ25D DOHC heads.
o IMs are not interchangeable between SOHC or DOHC or different phases. BUT blocks and heads usually are interchangeable. Use the IM that matches the heads. Use the Head Gasket that matches the block – not the heads (in most cases).

• All '91-94 EJ22T's will work w/any transmission from '89-94. The flexplate/torque converter or flywheel must match the transmission.

Way off topic: And for the most part, any EJ-series engine (plus others) from ’89-’07 (?) will mate w/any transmission. BUT due to wiring differences Automatics are not as interchangeable as 5 (or 6) –speeds....the engines and transmissions will physically connect together, but due to changes in electronics over the years they won't work correctly.

• Timing belt pulleys, cam shaft sprockets/gears, and tensioner are the same between stock turbo and NA engines from '89-94 (and some newer); water pump is specific to the ’92-94 turbo, and the ’91 turbo also has an extra port on the water pump to feed the oil cooler only on the ’91 EJ22T. The ’91 should be the same part number as the USDM WRX.
Last edited by wtdash on Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:23 am, edited 8 times in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re: EJ22T Swap into NA Legacy - How To.....

Post by Florin1 »

Very nice. Good work.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
WagonMafia
First Gear

Re: EJ22T Swap into NA Legacy - The List....

Post by WagonMafia »

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
WagonMafia
-Pure White 93 L Wagon converted to Turbo Wagon (almost complete)
-Pure White 92 SS parts car (doner) donated to friend
-91 Mazda miata drifto DD
http://photobucket.com/wagonmafia
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Subscribed
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Sorry to bring back such an older thread. I'm currently in the process of doing this swap myself into my 91 wagon. 22t/25d hybrid, 22t ecu, vf28, sti yellows, wrx top mount, custom rotated turbo setup... My only concern was the extra wiring I need to do. I wasnt able to find the stock BCS for the 22t but I'm going to run a grimmspeed manual boost controller. Is there a way to loop it at the ecu so a check engine light isnt on? Also does the ecu have to have the MAP sensor if I'm using the metal MAF? Thanks for any help guys. I have searched around for a while now.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

91 LS Turbo Project
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Automatic turbo cars have a "dropping resistor" that has the same plug as the bcs, so by plugging or wiring that in you can get rid of the code. The ECU will need the MAP when you use the metal maf. Can't tell you about the new FA engines, but all ej turbo ecus rely on both the MAP and MAF to work properly.

Lastly, that ECU is going to run absolutely terrible with those injectors. Even 440s run super, super rich on it, but it's kinda liveable. With yellow tops, the car will be stumbling and spraying fuel out the tailpipe. You'll be looking at low teens for MPGs. I'd recommend sourcing some 440 graytops, changing the ECU for an ej20g, or going robtube to run the yellow injectors.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Aside from the robtube or straight ej20g ECU, there are other plug and play options for you, such as the ESL (it requires an ej20g ECU to plug into) and the Link WRXLink Ver 1/2. Those are fully tunable solutions that let you use any size injectors, different MAFs, different MAPs, etc. I am running the ESL, and even though it's soft ware is more basic than the Link, it's a huge step to have a tunable legacy turbo
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

^+100
EJ20G and Robtune info: viewtopic.php?t=47252

440cc Gray tops are getting hard to find. Some sellers on https://www.ebay.co.uk/ will ship to the USA.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Awesome those are tunable solutions I didnt know about for sure. I was planning on sending the ECU over to rob to have it tuned for the 440s and around 17-18lbs of boost. I like 20g ecu option with the LINK tuner. Havent heard of that yet. I'm also using the 22e engine harness bc I couldnt find the original 90 or 91 plugs. It sounds like the 20g ecu with the LINK is a better option for me. Although what does it take to tune it? Do I need a laptop, if I do then I might just send an ECU over to Rob. Just so close to finishing this n I wanna make sure I get this ECU sorted out properly. It is my daily so it'll be a 1 day swap over. Thanks for the help guys.

91 LS Turbo Project
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Either I'm out of the loop or you've not had a chance to read 'all about it'.

The stock EJ22T ECU is not tunable by Rob. He can only supply a tunable CHIP that goes into an EJ20G ECU's 'add-on' location, which must be soldered into the ECU unless you have a '7D' ECU. Rob can sell you a 'chipped' ECU or just the chip if you're capable.

There is another option from ESL that uses the same chip location and it IS tunable, with their software, but they're Europe-based and may or may not still be offering support. I believe Mr. Mike Tracy has/used one.

There was a REVTRONIX chip that worked on the EJ22T ECU but again wasn't tunable per se. The developer went MIA years ago. I used his chip, too.
History lesson: viewtopic.php?t=43958

This is a nice trip down memory lane! :-) Thanks...for that.

Edit: LINK was a stand-alone that Mr. Josh Colombo uses(d) w/some success.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Also...since this is your DD, I'd get it running 'stock' w/the stock pinks, ECU, MAF, etc. It'll run great 'as is'. With TMIC and VF28, you can run just under the fuel-cut of the ECU - about 12 PSI w/an MBC. I'd guessitmate close to 180HP/Torque at the wheels....a big jump over the stock turbo's power.

Run that for a few weeks as you gain knowledge on tuning options - plus Rob can be slow to respond (speaking of which I've not heard back in over a month?) - to sort out your build.

I've done 2-3 of these and it's always best to go step-by-step. .....and I had another car to drive.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

To clarify, the WRXLink Ver 1/2 doesn't plug into the ej20g ecu, it is a complete plug-in standalone that fits inside the ecu case. The ESL requires an ej20g ecu to plug into. With either solution, they come with the software to tune from your laptop. You'll need an "evoscan" USB cable to plug into the car.

Between those two, tuners have usually heard of/used Link, and thats who I would have gone with (knowing what I know now) due to more support and much, much more advanced features. Such as launch control, flatfoot shifting, anti-lag, etc.

The ESL has none of that but is still very capable, and about half the price. Nobody has heard of it outside of Europe, and nobody is going to be able to help you with learning how to tune it if you don't know the basics. Even I cant help as I had my friend roadtune mine. :(
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Alright, thanks for clearing up that mess for me guys. Theres a lot of info out there n it can get a little confusing especially as I'm trying to get it all setup.

Will the original 22t pinks fit inside of the 25d fuel rails? I thought they didnt seal properly or didnt fit. If they fit then I'd be happy running at 10-11lbs for a while, and if they dont fit then im gunna have to source out the 440 grey tops. Which would help with some of the extra fuel being dumped in right?

Also, I cant seem to find this anywhere. Can the motor live without an oil squirter installed? Cyl 3 fell out and I'm having a bitch of a time trying to reinstall it

91 LS Turbo Project
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Argh..yeah, I missed that 'little' tidbit about fuel rails. You'll need to source the EJ20G DOHC rails to use the EJ22T injectors. THAT could be tough......you might find on here about modding the SOHC rails to fit, but can't recall for sure if that's an option.

Off the top, I cant recall any other options.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Okay I thought those didnt fit in the rails 25d n I'm sure the 22t rails wont fit without modifications. Does anyone know what flow the original Red Tops are that come inside the 25d manifold? I've been searching to see if I can get by with those for a while. I can run the red tops for a while and keep boost low if itll supply enough fuel until I can get custom EM. Thanks for the help.

91 LS Turbo Project
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

The reds are 270cc or so. I think all the 2.2 and 2.5 reds from '92-'98 were the same. And just to clarify the DOHC side-feed fuel rails are interchangeable between engines, including NA vs. turbo. BUT the injectors are not.

Actually ...the best option...IMHO...is to run those @ WG boost until you get all the parts...although I don't know what that is on the VF28. The VF11 was 5 PSI.

On my '96 BD NA-T, I ran stock injectors w/the VF11 on the stock ECU*. No issues. I wouldn't run over 8 PSI w/the stock injectors.

You could get a RRFPR (google it) to compensate a bit, but it won't pull enough timing AFAIK.

EDIT: Just re-read that you're on the low compression hybrid engine. That is around 7.8:1 CR, per online charts (and on here somewhere).

Do NOT quote me, but I'd feel OK running that up to 10 PSi.

*actually upgraded it to a '98 2.5 OB ECU (plug n play), but not sure if that helped but the 2.5 probably added more fuel...maybe?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

If those red tops will run 7-8psi then I'll be fine letting it sit like that until I get a full stand alone wired up. If I have to I'm sure my MBC will hold it at 5 psi, it's a grimmspeed so I have faith in it. I have a few amazing tuners up here in colorado and hopefully thatll buy me time to figure out which ones they like to use. Thanks for all the help man.

91 LS Turbo Project
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

NO offense, but your MBC can only INCREASE PSI not reduce. You're limited by the WG PSI. Maybe an EBCS can lower it? But I don't think so.

Per http://www.hallmanboostcontroller.com/faq.html:
Can I lower my boost with a boost controller?

A: No. With any boost controller you can only raise boost above what the factory actuator is set for.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Thanks for all the info. First turbo motor and second engine build so I'm still learning quite a bit along the way eventhough I thought I had it all sorted out.

All of this is great info if I can ever get the piston oil squirter back in. I think I'm gunna have to tear the motor back apart to get at it. Which sucks bc all the new gaskets are going to be useless now. They have to be installed or at least plugged up right?

91 LS Turbo Project
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I missed the oil squirter question, and I don't know. Josh Colombo (legacy777) or Mike Tracy may know about that.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I think you need to retap the hole, or block them all. I don't think it would be a good idea for unrestricted oil to be dumping in one cylinder.

The "other" closed deck ej22, from the 22b, didn't have oil squirters.

You can still reuse the head gaskets as long as they haven't been used in a running engine. And the rest of the gaskets will be fine.
91Legacyresto
First Gear

Post by 91Legacyresto »

Thank god. I was worried that I would have to go buy all of the gaskets again just to take the one head off and piston out. That is the easiest way to reinstall it right? Is through the top of the piston with it removed? That was a huge thing I was starting to get pissed about. I've been trying for days and its cyl #4 so its the squirter at the back of the motor. The squirter itself looks great because I cleaned it up including the threads. But I think I have to retap the block threads as well because I cant get the fucker to screw in, maybe throw some loctite on it this time so it wont come back out. All 3 others look great in the block still and seem to not be loose at all.

It does suck that I have spent all of this time already building the block and sticking it altogether. Though I did use ARP headstuds this time around so it shouldn't be too bad removing the one side to get this fucker installed.

I really appreciate the patience and answers you guys have been helping me with.

91 LS Turbo Project
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't think you'll be able to tap it with the rod in there, but you accurately described how to access it