Fuse Blowing

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mikec
Third Gear

Fuse Blowing

Post by mikec »

I've got a strange problem, and I was hoping somebody with either access to some wiring diagrams or an actual 91 LS could help me out. The problem is the fuse for the dash instruments / heater controls keeps blowing. I'm certain its a short, as it only happens when I hit certain bumps a certain way (before anybody suggests it, I'm going to stop hitting those bumps that way! :) ). Using the wiring diagrams on http://www.rrunracing.com/bcbf.html, I've been able to figure out which wire goes to the dash instruments and heater controls, so I'm going to start tracing stuff tomorrow. Now here's the strange part: when the fuse blows, the power windows and moonroof stop working as well. From the wiring diagrams I've examined on rrunracing.com, the windows / moonroof shouldn't have anything to do with that fuse (its #15 in the interior fusebox). Am I reading the diagrams wrong, or is this the source of my problem? Anybody else have this problem?

Again, thanks in advance for any help anyone might be able to give me. (I hope its warm tomorrow, because I'm going to be outside for a while, from what I can make of this so far :( )

Mike
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

I had crappy wiring on my stereo for a while, and it eventually shorted. The fuse kept blowing when i put a new one in, just like you. When it blew, the drivers door open light stayed on 24/7. Id say you wore through the wire at one place, but only when you hit a bump does it bounce against the chassis, shorting. Personally, i would rip out the whole positive wire and replace it, its easier and more certain than looking for anything on the existing wire. Check that the problem isnt under your fuse box. Good luck
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]