91-94 Sedan Carbon Fiber Sunroof, Now With Picture of Part

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

NorthwindComposites2

Re: 91-94 Sedan Carbon Fiber Sunroof, Now With Picture of Pa

Post by NorthwindComposites2 »

Yazmo - There are two options for these replacements.

Option 1 involves a carbon replacment panel that removes all the stock glass and hardware. This would mean it does not open, but can save upwards of 37lbs off your roofline.

Option 2 involves a carbon replacment panel that is the same size as the glass. In this instance you would remove the glass from the metal tray and reinstall the carbon replacement. This would allow you to use your sunroof as if it were a factory item - opens, closes, raises.

Please let me know if this answers your questions or there are other items I can help with.

Thank you.
yazmo
Third Gear

Post by yazmo »

is this still can be opened like the original sunroof?
NorthwindComposites2

Yes. Option 2 will function just like it was OEM.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

I am totally all about this. I am kinda new to carbon fiber but what about different colored CF? I know the other colors are not true CB both mixtures. Just curious if you knew. Also sign me up for a hood too whenever that is I don't care I want one or two...

Great work!!
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Any updates?
NorthwindComposites2

Sorry for the slow update - things have been a little busy.....

Things are still moving forward. I am shipping AWD_Addict his part tomorrow morning after a long period of dealing with issues with a vendor. Hopefully AWD_Addict will post some pictures of his part and installation as he gets it up and running. FWIW, final weight after clear coating was 32.2 oz.

With regards to futher production, I have an S13 trunk lid that's now priority #1 in the shop but as soon as it's done I'm going to be cranking out a half dozen or so of these babies.

RckyMtnLegacy - I do not regularly stock the colored fabrics but can easily and happy to do so. I have four options available, red-black, blue-black, silver-black, yellow-black. All are 2x2 twill weaves. The black is of course carbon. The yellow is kevlar. The red, blue, and silver are dyed fiberglass. These materials are not the same cost as the plain carbon so I will need to re-quote you on them. However, that quote will simply reflect material price differences per sq/ft so the difference will be fairly small.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can help address. I should say, as busy as I've been I'm not frequenting the BBS as often as I normally do so please feel free to call or email if there are any issues you would like a more immediate answer to.

Thank you,

Lee
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Thanks. I was just curious about other colors. I think I will stick with carbon. Put my name down for one too.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Holy crap, this is amazing. I don't visit here for 6 months and a LW sunroof replacement pops up.... SUWEET!!! And they're reasonably priced... it's almost too good to be true. I've got a few weeks until I get back... hopefully things won't fall apart by then.
NorthwindComposites2

James,

Glad to hear your interest. The price is a bit lower than I would offer for other similar products - the BBS is family and as such I am happy to offer family pricing.

You need not worry about things falling apart. Production has been slower to get into swing than anticipated but the S13 trunk lid will be winding up this week. The next few weekends the shop will be closed due to Auto-X and family visits from VA. However, I will be producing during the week nights and will be happy to keep making sunroofs as long as there are people interested.

After the last Auto-X in October I will be starting on a post-face lift hood as well. For those with a pre-face lift, if there is enough interest then I will be happy to get those into production as well. But I will have a new thread on those later but just wanted to wet your whistle a little more James ;).

Please let me know if there are any questions I can help with.

Once I have a few parts ready for shipment I will be posting on the BBS and taking money.

Thank you,

Lee
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I got my part this week. Overall it's great! I've looked at the engine bay of a Ferrari Enzo, and this part is better quality than most of that thing (ripples in the weave, voids, etc). The clear coat gives it depth, and makes a nice effect as you move around it. There are some minor surface imperfections, but they can only be seen when your face is right on it. If you were standing at the car's side mirror they wouldn't be seen.

Here's a few pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/awd_addict ... 989946806/
The white specks in the second photo aren't visible in-person. It looks worse in these photos than it does to the naked eye.

I'll report later on how the install goes.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Awesome. So excited for this
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks really good from the pics!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Updates?
05SRT
First Gear

Post by 05SRT »

Wow. SO i bought this car as a beater dd. And after spending a couple days on this forum. I have quickly realized that this is going to be just the same money pit as my neon. FML
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, these cars have a pretty devoted following, and there are opportunities to spend large sums of money....just ask me ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Neon=pit

Legacy=investment in fun

But i ask again, any updates on these?
NorthwindComposites2

Howdy guys! I apologize for dropping off the map a bit this last two months. Northwind Composites is a small shop, i.e. just me, and I've had some personal life items that have required taking presedence over the business.

But, that excuse aside, where is Northwind at in regards to producing some of these sunroof panels? Well my shop is finally 90% setup for full production. I do have a 1400 sq. ft. commercial shop and there has been significant capital investment into it - so don't worry about me fading away into the lore of 'what could have been' on the BBS.

However, two weeks ago I found out that my resin vendor was dropping their entire epoxy line and dealing only with paints. The chemist/engineer I've been working with has since taken the opportunity to venture out on his own. I have been in discussion with him and his target availability date for new resin is currently Nov. 1st.

This means two things. First it means that I don't have my preferred resins for the next month as I used up what I had left in some R&D work. Secondly, and more exciting - I am having a chance to get resins specially formulated for Northwind. As I have mentioned before, I utilize low temperature thermoset resins that are specially formulated for UV protection and high strength. I am working with the chemist/engineer to get a couple formulations that will be room temp workable (heat cured though) and have higher transition temperatures than normal thermoplastic resins. This means there are some additional products I plan to provide to the BBS relating to the engine compartment.

As I just mentioned, I am also moving to a vacuum infusion process instead of the traditional wet layup. This means a more constant fiber/resin ratio and provides me more control over the mechanical and aesthetic qualities of the parts. I won't go into a big sales pitch here as I'd rather save this thread to more specific questions to the sunroofs and am always happy to answer questions via PM, email, or phone - though I will be happy to answer specific questions in this thread if they are asked. But suffice to say, this is a good shift in manufacturing processes.

So ultimately, it looks like I may be out a few weeks before I can churn out these sunroofs and I do apologize for that and greatly appreciate the patience of the BBS as this has dragged out much longer than it ever should have. However, since I can't be producing parts I am going to keep moving forward producing molds. In two weeks is my last Auto-X for the season and I will start working on a hood mold for post-face lift cars. Be looking out for a new thread regarding that to make sure I capture what the BBS wants in one :).

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of what's been going on for Northwind. Probably bums a few out for the short term but there is a lot of cool things coming to the BBS this winter.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns I can address. I am happy to respond here on the BBS but email or phone still will net a quicker response as my personal life will stay pretty busy still for the next three weeks or so.

Thank you,

Lee
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Awesome update. Congrats on the business and I and I know others are very excited to see what happens in the future. Perfect time for me since i just started the tear down of my legacy and will be subscribed to Northwind as i put it back yogether to hopefully be able to show off some first gen goodies not a lot of others will have yet thanks again
libbtech
In Neutral

Post by libbtech »

I would love one of these sunroof deletes, current sunroof is leaky and inoperable :)
NorthwindComposites2

Wow, a month and half since my last update - my apologizes guys. Time has been getting away from me.

As I had indictated before, my resin vendor went down and is finally getting his line back up. Originally he was to be up and running at the start of the month, now it looks like I'll be out another 6-10 weeks for his line. However, he is still working with me to have some customized resins.

So what does this mean? Well, I managed to get a gallon of his old line that was sitting in a corner and I've got three gallons of another vendor's resin on the way to play with. Long term I will be moving back to the original resin system as it offers some very distinct advantages but I will get a second system up and running. I've been putting you guys off way too long as is.

Currently the first three sunroofs are spoken for and I should be getting the first couple built this weekend as time/resin allows. I won't have the new resins in until next week and I might end up scrapping a couple parts to get them working right so I'm not committing a date on them just yet - but soon and I'll keep you posted.

With regards to pricing, the new resin is a little more expensive but it's an interm issue and I will not be changing the part price.

Additionally, and for what it's worth - while I've been waiting for resins I have been getting extra layup tables and trim tables built. My shop's not terribly large but I now have 2 - 4ft x 8ft layup tables, 1 - 6ft x 10ft layup table, 1 - 4ft x 8ft 2hp downdraft trim table, 1 - 6ft x 10ft x 8ft cure room, and I'm planning on having my oven done by Christmas. I mention this only to let you guys know that the post face-lift hood mold which is has officially started (yay :)) won't be tying up resources for building the sunroofs for you.

As always, please let me know if there are any questions or items I can help with.

Thank you,

Lee
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

Thank you for the updates. I am still ready to buy a sunroof as soon as your ready to sell me one.
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

PM sent!
joshw02
First Gear

Post by joshw02 »

Any updates ? I'd buy one for sure..
RckyMtnLegacy
Third Gear

Post by RckyMtnLegacy »

March 2012 Updates?
roamer
In Neutral

Post by roamer »

Lee, I'd like to go on the waiting list for one. Thanks!