Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

xise
Third Gear

Re: Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by xise »

As it sits right now back in the drive way.
My wife has decided to name this car "Sex Panther" since I am painting i satin black. So I made a nice decal to slap on 'er once I am done painting :D
I think it will be pretty sweet, real classy like lol
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Hey Mark, if this other turbo leaks still I will be in the market for a new setup, you still have that td05h with the 90 deg bend? if not I am just going to grab a tdo4 and weld a 90 deg elbow on and call it a day....can I just use the td04 oil/coolant lines or does that require witch craft to fit?

Sex Panther is almost ready to roll, I am probably going to pull the rad today and the turbo if I have time to. I think I may need some new bolts for the turbo...apparently aamco managed to lose the bolts for the DP and used grade 8 bolts that are WAAAAY too small...fucking assholes. I wish I would have just bought a 5MT setup instead of all this BS...would have been cheaper....Oh well, I am going to get a 6MT for my RS w/ the EJ22t hybrid motor and the leggy can get my RS trans with the stage 1 clutch and ACT flywheel...should be plenty to hold up to 350hp @ the crank

thats for much later though...for now it has a basically fresh 4eat to mash on, anyone know how much whp the SS AT trans can take before shit starts to break?

so far I need:
radiator OEM=$100 mishimoto and koyo rads =$250+ over $300 with the fans
turbo oil lines = $25
brakes, unsure of exactly what the deal is, could be a free bleeding of the bakes to all new rotors/pads maybe lines too?

probably going to also swap a cluster to see if it works....unless aamco broke the speed sensor when they did the job
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mishimoto is complete overkill and waste of money. Basically just going to bling out your engine bay. You won't notice any performance gain with it over the stock radiator. I have NEVER seen any of my legacy's overheat before even in 100 degree weather. MAYBE if you were tracking the car hard but if not, I'd spend those funds on suspension bushings and tie rods, ALK and sway bars.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

yeah I figured as much, plus it is way to expensive IMO, shouldn't be too pricey to get this thing on the road. I have another turbo from the AT VF10 i believe...which I guess would technically be an upgrade..it looks bigger anyway.

I still have this 06 WRX IC hangin about, need to get a new Y pipe and i guess plug up the recirc port on the intake to make the BOV atmospheric instead of the stock setup.

hopefully the brakes only need to be bled or maybe new hoses. Are the SS brake lines the same as the regular lines? I would like to get some stainless steel ones as replacements.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

im using the tdo5, ur best it get a tdo4 and use the silicone 90 degree hose.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Yeah td04 seems to be the way to go for now, or I could order lines for the vf10 or put the vf11 On and use that...i am also going to need a fan shroud as all the bolts broke trying to separate the shroud from the rad, tough to find just a shroud from an ss...i wonder if a v1-v3 wrx shroud/rad would fit
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Ok so I can't seem to find a proper shroud and fans....or a radiator for the right price locally. I did find a vf39 though...but no $$ for the supporting mods. Does anyone know if a different rqd would fit? I know some ppl have said a 1st Gen impreza rad is the same size...can anyone confirm?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It won't have the proper orientation of the hoses I don't think and it will probably be missing a nipple that goes to the coolant reservoir tank.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

hmmm, it is really tough to find a fan shroud for these cars, I am pretty sure the fans themselves are fine but the lower mounts are rotted to shit. anyone here have one? I will probably order a radiator soon, and a local guy has a nice low mileage TD04, do I need some custom oil/coolant lines to make it work?

BTW I traded that S13 for an 01 F150 XLT XTR, which IMO is a great fucking deal...much more practical than cramming a family of 3 into a tiny 240sx.....I do miss it though, I went through a lot with that car.
still a better trade than I thought I was going to get...I was hoping for a touring wagon :D
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

HOOOOOOTERSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh yea, nice truck... :smt109
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

haha thanks, looks like this is going to be the next car back on the road.goThe RS is going to cost almost double what the SS will so it will get some attention first. so up on the list for things I need are;urb

-new radiator and fan shrouds
-new oil/coolant lines for the turbo
-brake rotors, pads and lines all around
-possibly some wheel bearings up front, maybe even all 4

once it is running well i'll paint it and get the rest of the stuff I need for the TMIC. I was also wondering if the fittings on the VF11/10 are the same as a TD04, I am going to make some custom oil and coolant lines from Earl's/Aeroquip AN fittings so I want to make sure I can re-use them from turbo to turbo....I don't want to spend $$ needlessly here
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

i have fan shrouds with the fans, i have brake rotors and maybe pads. i might even have the lines. i have all 4 hubs with good bearings to. lmk if you need any of that.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

not sure what is making noise on the hubs, probably the rotors as they are rusted to shit. What do you have for rotors??I was going to just get some new hardware under there, but if they are decent... :D I am going to need those fan shrouds though, they are tough to find.

I'm not sure if the turbo was even leaking now though, I just cleaned everything off using some engine brite, it was really grimy and it looks like it was just caked on oil sludge from the vf10 burning off...still could probably start a fire if you were to do more than just let it idle.

BEFORE

AFTER

If I need to do the bearings, i'll let you know before I install those STi struts.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Ok so right now I have the vf10 installed and the vf11 is out and going to get cleaned up today. Just wondering which turbo was better. That way I can be satisfied until I get a td04 or a jdm td05h..
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Got a few things on my list to grab from rockauto once my tax return comes in;

-AT Radiator w/ oil cooler
-BOSCH Ignition wires and Iridium plugs
-BOSCH Fuel Filter
-AC Delco PCV valve
-Wix Air filter
-BOSCH Oil filter and ome Castrol Syntec 5w30

just some tune up parts for now, once I get it rolling again, i'll get some rotors, pads and stainless brake lines..might do the suspension then too if I have the cash, hopefully I won't need to do the wheel bearings right now. With any luck it was just rusty rotors causing the rotational scraping noise...most likely it is but who knows...

Once the car is running well I will crack into fixing the speedo issue and then i'll figure out the intercooler, then it will be time for all the fun stuff :D
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Tax return came in so I am gettin back to it, should have my radiator soon and then I guess just the brakes and hopefully only small issues, gotta get the legacy on the road asap. This truck is costing way too much for insurance...should have run the numbers before selling that Nissan I worked so hard to make really nice...oh well bygones, I have a turbo legacy beast to worry about now....getting some fresh rotors and brake lines b/c i let this thing sit for too long and the rotors are rusted to fuck and back....

sorry about all the cursing, lol I type just as I talk in real life so if i'm not censoring myself in front of Grandma at thanksgiving I sure as fuck am not going to censor myself for a bunch of Subaru ppls lol, unless the mods have something to sayabout it...then i'll consider it :roll:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

We don't mind cursing :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I always feel guilty about that too. Haha. But it's the way I talk, amongst friends anyway. Shit, even around my mom! I figure as long as you use it sparingly it's kind of like verbal seasoning, just don't use it to make up for your lack of real flavoring.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

yea, dont fucking swear like us fucking italian's fucking do. that fucking shit gets fucking annoying.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I've been swearing like a sailor since I was 5, but only in front of my parents since I was 12. It kind of sucks because I have to constantly invent new curses to make up for my overuse of the standards.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

When I worked a temporary pipeline construction assignment in NJ I noticed my swearing increased dramatically.....primarily because every other word out of the guys out there was fuck this, fuck that, etc. :lol:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

ha, to funny^^^

ok, now lets get back on fucking topic... :P
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

ha, im sorry... this forum rules!!!
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Haha you guys crack me up...I am almost ready to get to work on this beast, rad should be here Friday! I still need a pair of ss fan shrouds to be able to drive it around though ...brakes and lines should be here soon, as well as a host of tune up parts from good 'ole rockauto! Can't wait!!

and someone needs to get back to me about a certain 02 wrx that is being parted out .. :roll:
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

lol, pm me what you need? right now its for sale as a whole before i start the part out. but i have other parts from the previous bugeye i stripped last week.