Sans Subie

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Sans Subie

Post by Aerotech »

After 10 years, I find myself without a Subaru in the stable. :| I've gone all-VW for now... here's the new ride; 2004 Passat Variant 1.8T 4-Motion 5MT
A bit of a unicorn in the VW world, very few of these were imported with a manual transmission. This is one of 6 documented cars in this color combo (Shadow Blue / Graphite Leather) in N. America. They are notorious attention hogs, lots of maintenance & repair issues, hopefully I got a decently cared-for example. It seems in very good shape, just did the full-monty timing belt/water pump/thermostat/oil seal treatment, and the internals were extremely clean. :) Essentially it's an Audi A6 Quattro that gets 35mpg hwy. I was really close to getting an Audi Allroad, but the thirst of the 2.7T is pretty epic.

Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Sans Subie

Post by evolutionmovement »

I would check into if there was a fix for the poor oil pick up design on that engine. I don't know if there was one, but there should have been. Aftermarket, perhaps. I don't know exactly how bad a job that is to do, but I know of 5 of those engines that lunched before 50k because of it, so just something to consider.

That leather looks nice—not stiff or vinyl looking like most cars seem to have. Nice color, too.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Re: Sans Subie

Post by Aerotech »

The dreaded "Oil Sludge" problem... The owners (and sometimes the dealerships) failed to use the prescribed synthetic oil, and the turbo would coke up, dropping cooked oil turds into the oil pan. These congregated around the intake screen, and choked off oil flow. If the driver ignored the flashing red "oil- stop the car" light, *poof* smoke one engine.

Normally it wouldn't be much of a problem, but you actually have to suspend the engine and drop the front crossmember to get the oil pan off the engine.

This one has documented oil changes, always synthetic, and I also saw the internals in the head; very clean, not even any varnishing.
I read a lot of horror stories, but I also read of 200K+ mileage with very few problems... depends on the previous owners maintenance habits, mostly.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen