Self Destructing 4EAT

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

Self Destructing 4EAT

Post by Redlined »

Gonna have to move Angel to Garage-queen status until I can get my transmission issues sorted out.

I've Pretty much settled on Swapping in a 5speed. But it doesn't answer my questions.

I've had my car four years and never had an ounce of trouble with the transmission.

Last summer I had Jiffy Lube Flush the transmission. (FYI I did some research and found other similar complaints from people who had their high milage Legacy flushed at Jiffy lube, do'nt know if its an issue with older Legacys or in Jiffy Lubes flush process.... but Id avoid having them do your trans unless your sure its in good order)

Two weeks later On the way to work in the morning I discover I have no second gear. I take the car to AAMCO and have the transmission gone through. They tell me the Torque converter began to come apart and blocked the lubrication to the 2nd gear band causing it to Burn out. They install a new "Kit", Torque converter, and 2nd gear band.

Six months later (maybe 5k miles) Im going out of town to work and the transmission begins to slip in 4th at freeway speeds. Im out of town and broke so I have to ride it out. By the time I get home both 3rd and 4th are gone, first and second are rock solid. Back to AAMCO who agree to do the work on Warrenty. Another new "kit", band. Torque converter, and "Front planetary". Manager tells me the transmission should not have failed, the trans fluid was badly burnt and he believes my turbo is making to much power for the trans. (about 225 at the wheels last time I checked)

One week later(maybe 100 miles), Driving to Vancouver from Portland (not even a 10 mile drive) on the freeway and trans begins to slip in 4th with the slightest pressure on the accelerator. 1st 2nd and 3rd all seem to be rock solid.

Seriously. A week... what am I missing? I'm not doing High speed blasts and my car isnt making 400HP. Most of my driving is 35mph or less in the city.
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Self Destructing 4EAT

Post by Legacy777 »

If I had to guess, the trans flush did it in. Unless they went through the entire transmission and replaced ALL the old wear parts, you would likely continue to have problems with it. More than likely there are fluid passages in the trans that are restricted or blocked and that's causing other issues, fluid wear/overheating, etc.

At this point, you'd be better off swapping in a new AT or doing the MT swap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

I figured the Flush was the start of if all. Kinda hoping the oilcooler is plugged/restricted. pick up a cheap oilcooler to keep her on the road till I can do the 5spd swap. Hate to have to take her off the road, mostly cause It means Ill have to buy/drive some cheap mainstreem Piece of junk.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

Put on an aftermarket Transcooler. Got on the freeway and 4th was practically non-existant. So its not the cooler, something in the trans itself.
Dave

Post by Bheinen74 »

read the threads pointing out to not go to AAMCO or Jiffy lube. Many many threads on them killing the cars we drive on this forum. I cannot stress to never go to those places.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Ya I remember back in the day came in with torque bind came out with slipping 2nd and delayed awd. Went back awd would "bang" all gears work, 4th wouldnt lock up. It is really crazy. I have learned the best thing is keeping the transmission as original as possible and if a rebuild i necessary only bring it to the dealer where they give you a reman from japan.

If you like the car auto just get another low mileage turbo transmission and just drive it with plain old atf. When I swapped my car to 5spd it was really awesome really makes you enjoy the car much more but it also depends what kind of driver you are.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
SWRT
Third Gear

Post by SWRT »

When they do a "flush" it's not just draining the fluid from the pan and refilling it. They blast
a cleaner BACKWARDS through the lines and it tends to plug up areas since the fluid itself
isn't in the best shape to begin with. It also tends to clog your filter, which they also usually
dont replace. I had the same issue with Goodyear about 6 years ago when I had an old Ford
Contour. That car was a mistake, but still. The transmission was good before, bad after. Then
I told my friend Ryan before he ever took his Sunfire up to a shop to not get a transmission
flush, but he didnt listen to me and his transmission started crapping out. In my experience
if you dont get a transmission flush before 50,000 miles it's definitely not worth bringing it
up to a shop to have them do it.

From now on I do my own flushes. I may not get everything out of the torque converter, but
I know that the system is getting flushed, not plugged and I know the filter is getting changed
and the magnet on the pan is getting clean.