replacing rims after accedent ..

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

CCorsair
First Gear

replacing rims after accedent ..

Post by CCorsair »

Okay last night I was crossing and intersection and the guy to the right of me seem to start to diff towards me and i tried to avoid ti but I didn't know the road way off and came up and hit the center divider taking out my right front and rear back right .. that tire is find the front is gone (have picture will post later) Ok so i going to need new rims and the tires are cover but should get same type of can use some rims from our room mates 1998 Outback wagon? the rims are bolt and size right it look just need to take her 15's off for my 14's if they will work .
It will save me time i know that if I can get them off and the other tire on.. this is 45 mph and getting ran off the road can do to your tires and rims..

CC

1990 Subaru Legacy L Wagon AWD.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: replacing rims after accedent ..

Post by Legacy777 »

Sorry to hear about this. The Outback rims should fit fine on your legacy.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Thanks I figure out I can use her spare and my spare to get the car over to the tire shop I'll more the front left to the back right and put the 2 spares on the from if that sound good.. I check and other then the right panel fender is pushed and I still can't how that happen there looks to be no other issues but the rims so far.. will post pic when it done as this Legacy going to look different lol.. off to make calls btw there no way I can fit 15" tire as my current are 14" and we will have strip her old 15" tire off the rims before using the rims ..(there her old time she switch out tire and rim when she found some for like 200 for tires a rims when she has some damage to her front tire side wall the only difference is her new one have 5 spoke design vs 6) we just stored them till she could afford new tires(the she got for 200 were like very new) they come form wrecking yard for Subaru's and other Japanese cars.. may be heading there my self.. later.. ok thanks

cc
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah...you'd need new tires if you used the 15's.

You'd be better off trying to find some junk yard steelie wheels and get new tires.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

So I'll be looking to convert to 15" if i keep those tire rims.. hmm k Thanks I kind of like the 14" as the cheaper but will have to do what can thanks..

CC
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Ok well here is the the new wheels and rims(went with the shop on the 14" one there had s it was no charge on the tires)

Road tested and it felt good had to put in the fuse to drop it to front wheel drive and it seem to feel ok at 35 to 45 mph and bit over with just bit of pull but getting home I got out and look and on the drive way the front tire aliment is out or it could be bent strut
here what it look like

This the back under site looking from the passage door with the wheel turn left

and from the front looking in

look at all the picture and I have more I think I am seeing a small bend in the strut end and as you can see the front fender panel is pushed in..Still not sure this mean i did make contact with the other drive or this is from the divider. there is no other damage i can see and I look at most likely having in the shop if this really bad . I going to see if i get jack stand under and pull the tire see in the aliment bolts were knock out or if it a true bend .. it did drive with no wobble at all just a bit of pull which felt more like due the wagon being in front wheel drive only. I just wish the other guy had stopped force me over but i didn't even get chance to the make just square headlights in my rear view and safe blind spot I have both side view mirrors .. this going hurt on the insurance I have feeling .. and suggestion on this would of great help ..

Thanks all
CC
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

strut is bent 100% and seeing as the wheel is in the back half of the wheel arch it looks like you bent the lower control arm as well
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

bmxkelowna wrote:strut is bent 100% and seeing as the wheel is in the back half of the wheel arch it looks like you bent the lower control arm as well
cost on that you think? it did drive a turn ok o not sure on the control arm as i don't think could one U-turn and did with no issues . did right and left turn well not vibration or wobble which i would thought would be if the strut was damage or the control arm. Either way its not looking good as it sounds. BTW anyone on what damage I am looking at on the side panel ?

here is some more under the car pics

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I think the strut is bent as well.

For the fender, you can try pulling it back out gently with your hand so it matches the lines of the door.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

ya I am feeling the Strut is bent as well will look at the fender later .. now trying to get the insurance people on this can afford this out of pocket if it ts strut. have not called on cost yet .. any idea on that ?

CC

BTW how the picture helped on this
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

called my shop and it looks to be $250 for the strut replacement not sure if there is more till i can get it to them and my insurance people just gave me the bad news .. not cover.. life is so fun... NOT..
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

WE got the Strut I got yesterday from the Subaru wreaking yard Planet Parts we have near us.. Cost wast about $52.. All went in well old one was replacement one so some had replaced a strut before. Will go into get the alignment ASAP still feels the same before the accident but runs well.

did talk pictures of the removal to post later . and some After the job was done so there is before and after record of this .going to get dinner now

CC
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

Ok I trying to not over post every thing but I took some pictures as my friend did the break down and change out the strut .

First Picture is just after getting the wheel off

here straight on look with the tire off

Getting the brake calibrate off was easy for him and have us more access to removing the bots for the strut connection to the wheel.

After the strut was off i look at the wheel and connection all seem well but will be having some inspected the car on Monday or Tuesday as well

I also looked up into the wheel well to make sure there was nothing damages

One last shot of the removed Strut

And we got the new strut on with little or not problems and the tire back on all looked much better .

Got out tested it it drove very well seem to be the same feel as before but for the fact I was still in FWD till I get the tires checked. I drove home and took a few shots as well.

So tomorrow is busy day tire shop then find a good place to get the alignment done and hope nothing more is damages .. thanks all for looking ..will post if there is more or some see something I don't

CC
CCorsair
First Gear

Post by CCorsair »

bmxkelowna wrote:strut is bent 100% and seeing as the wheel is in the back half of the wheel arch it looks like you bent the lower control arm as well
Well just got the the wagon over to the shop to get the alignment and yep you are correct the Right Front lower control arm is bent. the wrecking yard said about $80 for the part I haven't clue to which part it is (a picture from any one would help) I can get all install and aligned for $140 its just going to have to wait for I end of the week or month .. my worry is what more could be damaged ? this was hit at about 45 mph and mostly due to me trying to get back into my lane . I just wish I had not screwed my insurance up when changing it.. If anyone has a Right Front lower control arm they would part with cheaper than $80 please PM me..

CC