Ecu question

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subi-swap94
In Neutral

Ecu question

Post by Subi-swap94 »

So I'm trying to locate my ecu so I can get my car tuned
Can you guys guide me to where it is?
Current Cars

'94 Legacy SS - EJ20G VF22, 5MT
'70 Ford Maverick - 302 small block, C6 AT
asotwavb
First Gear

Re: Ecu question

Post by asotwavb »

Left knee +12 inches forward in a USDM sport sedan
1992 Legacy Sport
Subi-swap94
In Neutral

Post by Subi-swap94 »

So if I'm sitting in the drivers seat. Twelve inches from my knee would be the ecu?
Current Cars

'94 Legacy SS - EJ20G VF22, 5MT
'70 Ford Maverick - 302 small block, C6 AT
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Yes.

under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

How exactly does the tuner plan on working on an ECU which isn't reprogrammable?

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

It is reprogrammable. Just noone has taken the time to document the programming of the ECU yet.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Really? I thought that's the primary reason why RevTronix/etc went with the plugin ROM (besides the obvious safely of not toasting the ECU on a bad flash). heh, well anyways I'd highly doubt anyone is going to spend the time figuring it out.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

If your talking about a USDM Legacy SS/TW ECU, then it is not reprogrammable. It IS chippable.

To my knowledge, only Revtronix has ever brought a product to market. Rob was working on it, but the fact that an EJ20G ECU can be used with relative ease instead put that idea out to pasture for the time being.

IIRC, Revtronix product was just an EPROM simulator with accompaning software.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

FWIW, his Sig states it's an EJ20G ECU, if that's accurate (and maybe they added it AFTER above comments?) there are more options for the EJ20G - besides the Rob Tune.

Revtronix chip (upper left) in the usually unoccupied EPROM port:

Mike was working on a tunable version of the chip, but left the scene before that was available.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

BSOD2600 wrote:Really? I thought that's the primary reason why RevTronix/etc went with the plugin ROM (besides the obvious safely of not toasting the ECU on a bad flash). heh, well anyways I'd highly doubt anyone is going to spend the time figuring it out.
I meant reprogrammable by adding an industry standard chip to the socket. :-D The stock chip is not re-flashable.
PhyrraM wrote:If your talking about a USDM Legacy SS/TW ECU, then it is not reprogrammable. It IS chippable.

To my knowledge, only Revtronix has ever brought a product to market. Rob was working on it, but the fact that an EJ20G ECU can be used with relative ease instead put that idea out to pasture for the time being.

IIRC, Revtronix product was just an EPROM simulator with accompaning software.
RevTronix is the only mass-produced chip brought to market, yes. Many years ago NICO on this board had his ECU tuned by a shop with a custom one off chip, but that knowledge has also been lost to time.

I've worked a little bit on reverse-engineering Subaru's programming and Mike's changes but I don't have enough experience in the 8-bit Hitachi assembly language to get very far. I do have the processor spec sheet and the disassembled code on my computer right now. It's a little complex. This whole process is a little complicated by the fact that Mike engineered some changes into the Select Monitor code on his chip that prevents the ECU from replaying it's own memory over the Select Monitor interface when running with his chip. So I can dump the factory code but haven't yet bought an adapter to directly read Mike's chip which would allow me to disassemble and compare the factory code and his code for differences.

I do however have the ability and understanding to build a chip adapter and have up to 8 switchable maps on one chip or connect a chip emulator like a Moates Ostrich and tune in realtime. I just don't know yet what to change or where. :P

It is much easier just to go with a standalone or a RobTune at this point in time. There is no telling though if something will happen to Rob just like something happened to Mike. A one man operation that doesn't share knowledge with the community really is at risk. If I ever get any further on the ECU stuff I've been looking into, everything will be made available to this community. I'm not in it for profit.