My new flip car!

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

tsbpenguin
First Gear

My new flip car!

Post by tsbpenguin »

Just picked up a new flip project today. 96 Legacy GT, basically brand new paint job, 154k, auto. The guy replaced the water pump and timing belt but not the hydraulic tensioner (I'm assuming he probably didn't follow procedure depressing it). Said he drove it around the block after the timing change and it ran great then died as he pulled it back in the driveway. Claims he didn't try starting it back up at all, but suspects the tensioner failed. Probably a pretty good chance the motor is done for (interference style) but there's a small chance it's salvageable. In any case, I paid less than $1000 for the car so it's a steal. If the valves are bent I'll just send the heads out for machining for over sized valves, porting, etc to throw on my ej22t swap :D Might play with the idea of using the 2.5 crank in my spare ej22t block & doing custom rods & pistons. Anyway, enough chit chat, on to the pics! (More to come)
In between Subies
mike-tracy

Re: My new flip car!

Post by mike-tracy »

Looks good to me. I do notice the front bumper has been replaced. Stock 96 GT's have the small projector fogs just like 95 Outbacks and 95-96 LSI's. Those are actually brighter than your headlights so if you can find a pair I highly recommend em. If the engine isn't done for, I also recommend a 97-98 ej25 4eat Outback or LGT ecu, as you'll get +15 hp and the motor will no longer run like crap on regular unleaded.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

it must have been in a front end crash seeing as the bumper is wrong and since the gt hood with the scoop is missing. also the new paint points at that too
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

Good call on the bumper! I didn't notice that it was a different style, though i did know it had been replaced. He pointed out the actual metal bumper is slightly bent in from a minor front end collision. Replaced bumper, grille, and hood, then painted the car. Good to know about the updated ecu's, thanks for that. I already have two friends basically offering me book value for it when I finish the work on it, and I haven't even started yet!

Edit:
bmxkelowna wrote:it must have been in a front end crash seeing as the bumper is wrong and since the gt hood with the scoop is missing. also the new paint points at that too
Bingo!
In between Subies
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I don't think the gt bad a scooped hood in 96, but I could be wrong. The bumper style is correct for your year, just doesn't have the fog light holes cut out. No biggie.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.