Cylinders are full of fuel. Help?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

96outback
In Neutral

Cylinders are full of fuel. Help?

Post by 96outback »

So I bought a 95 legacy auto with 160k on the motor. Did an oil change, tune up(plugs, wires, fuel filter).
I then cleaned the engine bay and ended up getting water in my cylinders, so I dried those out and after many attempts of getting it started it finally started right up.
Now what it is doing is while it is running, it is dumping fuel into the cylinders which is causing it to smell of raw fuel out of the exhaust. Thankfully this is not my DD yet.
So I thought it might be the injectors, so I go to take two of the injectors out and when i take them out I see fuel dumping from the fuel rail into the cylinder. So then I run to the fuel pump and unplug it and by this time I ended up getting two cylinders full of fuel to the point the car wont even turn over(I only tried twice).
So Im stuck. Ive read it could be the Fuel Pressure Regulator, but I took the breather hose off of it and there was no gas leaking out. Im very confused.
There is also zero gas in my oil which is good. ;)
Any thoughts or opinions on what it could be?
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Re: Cylinders are full of fuel. Help?

Post by AWD_addict »

After you get the gas out of the petrol-locked cylinders, put a little squirt of oil in there to help the rings.
I dealt with a similar problem recently, which turned out to be a poorly installed injector, causing leaking o-rings. Fuel would get into the cylinder whenever it was keyed on (turning on fuel pump). Removing the injector showed the o-ring was deformed asymmetrically. Luckily it was new, so it returned to normal shape after sitting out for a while. Install injectors with a drop of oil on seals, straight in and rotate a little!
Check the resistance on the injector terminals. If those are good, then figure out which cylinders are being over-fueled by looking at the spark plugs. Replace everything that seals each individual injector as necessary. Also, disconnect the fuel pump plug and try to start the engine before removing injectors. :wink:
90 L+ wgn
96outback
In Neutral

Post by 96outback »

Oh gotcha. Could that be why when I pulled the injectors fuel was pumping through the fuel rail with key fully off?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

There is going to be residual fuel pressure in the system even after the key is turned off. You can relieve the pressure by letting the car sit for a while or by disconnecting the electrical connector going to the fuel pump. You can do this while the engine is running and it will draw the pressure down or you can do and then crank over the engine a few times. It may start and then stall out. This is normal.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
96outback
In Neutral

Post by 96outback »

Great. Thank you for the kind welcoming and the helpful words. This community has been helpful
96outback
In Neutral

Post by 96outback »

Today I buttoned everything up after letting all the fuel dry out of the cylinders. I left the hood up on a nice sunny warm day with plugs unplugged. I changed the oil with a high mileage 10w-30. (Penzoil). Then I put a teaspoon (might have been too much) of oil in each cylinder. Put spark plugs back in, etc and started it up. James bond wouldve been proud with the smoke i blew. It was white. It wasnt super thick like oil smoke is usually. and it reaked of raw fuel. I had to change my clothes it was so bad. But the car was running fine. No knocks or weird idleing. Im so confused. I just let it run for a minute but the smoke started getting worse so I turned it off.

Not sure what to do now. I havent had a chance to check the ECT sensor or the fuel pressure but will do that next. Any other thoughts though? Could the smoke just have been burning everything off? ie. teaspoon of oil, raw gas in cylinders and exhaust pipe?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

A teaspoon of oil is really a decent amount of oil. Between that and the raw fuel, that's what I'd say is causing the smoke. If the engine is running good otherwise, you will probably have to just drive the car for a bit to get all the oil & fuel burnt off.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm