Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

CFK
Second Gear

Re: Dankberries 1993 Impreza ej23t/25d build

Post by CFK »

Can't wait to see and hear more. Probably won't sound as good, but will feel better ! Take away the boxer sound, but increase HP for sure !
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Woo! She lives again ! :-D but kinda sounds like a Honda now :|
93 impreza rally muffin
93 legacy ss Tarmac Terminator
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

^Thats what those headers do. You could of been nicer and said it sounds like a jdm subaru lol.

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Little update, its been a little ruff working out a few problems. To start, my car was smoking oil pretty bad on start up. I ended up tracing it to my turbo. I guess my td05 took a shit sitting on the shelf over the past few months while the car has been down. Luckily I had an extra vf39 to swap in and it stopped the smoking.
My next problem, not sure if my AEM a/f gauge is reading correctly anymore but, in boost on 10lbs its reading 13.5-14! WTF lean on10lbs?! Idle is between 12.5-13.5. & regular out of boost driving is 13.5-14.
Third problem , just taking it easy (staying out of boost) on the first day of driving I made it about 80 miles when my car jumped timing again on start up.
And on a side note, I picked up a new oil pressure gauge and I'm reading 90-100psi cold start, 50psi warm idle, and 85-95psi driving. Seems high...?

So far I've done a visual check for leaks and found nothing . I've also swapped the fuel pump, which didn't change anything. Next I will perform a boost leak test, possibly new fuel filter, and swapping out the a/f gauge. I should note, the car smells rich and I don't believe its running lean.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
killajamal wrote:Dank is actually German for "silly term which the kids have come up with to describe exceptionally choice marijuana.''
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Is it possible, after taking material from the heads, block deck, and case halves that the timing belt is no longer tight enough? Or is it possible that having dual valve springs & to thick of oil is causing a moment of slipping when starting the car? It only slips when starting.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What weight oil are you using?

It sounds like your WB sensor is worn out and may not be working properly. How does the car feel under 10 lbs of boost? If it feels normal, then that should confirm the WB sensor.

As for the timing belt jumping timing, what timing belt tensioner are you using, the new or older style? How old is it and have you compressed the tensioner too quickly, which may have caused it to fail?

The dual valve spring setup might be a contributing factor, but couldn't tell you for sure. The heads & deck being surfaced shouldn't have caused enough material to be removed to cause an issue.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Josh , I'm using the old style tensioner. If you remember one of my previous posts (car will not start/robtune ECU) I was having the same timing issues. After trying the new style tensioner I could later see that the old style was better in design and made more tension.
I also had taken your and Mikes advise about rotating the timing belt forward and backward(I can literally see it get tighter after doing this) and I also wedge a screw driver behind the tensioner before tightening to insure its all the way over.

A friend suggested drilling the holes on the tensioner out further so I can get it over even more. Thoughts?

When I compress the tensioner its about a 5min process . I take my time.

For oil I'm experimenting with Mobil 1 synthetic 15w-50

And on 10lbs it doesn't do anything that seems un normal, I haven't had a chance to swap the WB sensor, the place I work on my car is flooding :-(

Also Josh , what are normal oil pressure readings for oil squirter equipped ej22t's? I'm at 100psi cold, 50psi warm idle, and 90-100psi driving. I know thick oil is a factor but these #'s seem high.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well it sounds like you're installing the tensioner correctly as well as compressing it. How much stiffer are the dual spring setup you're using over stock? Are you using a Subaru timing belt? I've heard the STi timing belt is a little more robust. If you can find one for that application, I suppose you could try that.

I probably would not recommend drilling the holes any more....I don't think that's going to give you much if any additional advantage and could cause reliability issues.

If you built the motor to stock specs, the 15w-50 is probably a little thick. I have seen oil pressures up into the 80-100 psi range on my car with 10w-30. The pressure is typically higher at cold start up, but it will be higher with the thicker oil.

I haven't looked at my oil pressure in a while, so I don't recall the spread I see at idle when warmed up vs cold and at higher rpms.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Looks like I'm pulling the engine again. I can't seem to catch a break on this project . Just about ready go give up.

Changed my oil yesterday to 10w-30. Went on a 25mile drive to the store and back, no problems. Car sat outside for about 30min while I cleaned the garage, when I went to start the car again, major smoke dumping.
Pulled the plugs and cylinder 1 was wet with what appeared to possibly be oil.
Compression test came next,
Cylinder 1 - 120psi and holding
Cylinder 2 - 105psi and falling
Cylinder 3 - 105psi and holding
Cylinder 4 - 105psi and falling
No milkshake in the oil. Pulled the o2 to see if was oilly but it was dry(in case it was the turbo going). I think I burned up some rings or a valve.
Pretty upset about the situation, starting loose my motivation to continue.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks man :(
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

A little bit of video taken just a few hours before I had problems:
http://youtu.be/v1G60vfOdug
Equal length header sound clip
http://youtu.be/6Vh-XuBtZNs
Here is video I took with my cell phone trying to use it like a go pro, if you have epilepsy you shouldn't watch this, its broken up a bit.Its crappy video but its all I ever took. Taken last winter before my engine went, "finding beauty in a burnt forest". Nothing extreme just enjoying snow in BFE.
http://youtu.be/m313g_o3GCw
Part 2 of the video, sorry theirs a couple times where I'm just sitting waiting for my friend to catch up.
http://youtu.be/iMIpSR0POuo
Last edited by dankberries on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Picked up a cylinder leak down tester today. All four cylinders where in the green and leas than 5 in difference of each other. Piston rings/valves might be OK. I may need to check out my turbo a little more or the other thought would be maybe oil is getting past the valve guides . More to come..
Also , in the theory that my wideband gauge was infact reading lean, and I perhaps burnt something up because of that, I don't find feasible because all my spark plugs show normal wear and no sighs of lean.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's interesting the leak down tester checked out ok.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Leak down test video
http://youtu.be/iDpNusbxcgs
Last edited by dankberries on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Decided to start the car, let it warm up, and see what happens. Car stopped smoking and is driving normal.
Some old timer gear head told me that he has had 300 mile engines start smoking from loosing a good seat on the piston rings. He suggested I go out and rip on it a bit, let it get hot again , and reseat the rings .
I personally think switching to thinner oil may have been a factor since the rings where broken in on thicker oil. Anyway..shes alive for today :-)
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

turned the boost up to 17lbs today and my OBX silicone itercooler y-pipe blew out. huge 4in. hole. Lame!
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

1200 miles on the engine today without any smoking, timing, or lean issues :-D
Its so weird how things work :shock: one min. the car is cool, then its not, but THEN its good again..smh
This is when I take the time to pray. (Dear 8lbs 6oz baby Jesus thank you for letting my car live another day!)
Anyway,
One present problem, my car idles at 1000-1100rpm all the time. Ive made adjustments to the TPS & IAC and no luck. Ive also replaced the Coolant Temp Sensor.
Its starting to get cold here and ive noticed its getting harder to start when cold. First thought was the CTS, but nothing has changed after replacement.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What "adjustments" have you made to the TPS & IAC?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Legacy777 wrote:What "adjustments" have you made to the TPS & IAC?
With the TPS not much adjusting but making sure its within perimeters.
With the IAC, adjustments where made to compensate for the high idle. Its fully clocked to one direction.

I believe the problem to be with the IAC and CTS correlation. Not so much the TPS unless its a problem with the idle switch.
From what I remember out of the FSM , when cold starting the ECU receives a signal from the CTS, cold, then the ECU tells the IAC to increase idle until the CTS reading is at operating temperature.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes the ECU will use the CTS to adjust idle speed and air fuel ratio. Is there a reason why the CTS isn't doing this. Forgive me if you've already stated it, I've slept a few times and didn't go back and read all the previous posts.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

@ josh , I haven't finished doing some diagnostics to fully understand the problem yet. If I end up being stumped, I will report back for some more advise.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

More video: Pullings trees with Subarrari
http://youtu.be/FOXGmoIVQUw
Last edited by dankberries on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

Last edited by dankberries on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
dankberries
Second Gear

Post by dankberries »

For Christmas I scored some KYB AGX adjustable struts w/ H&R springs for street driving ($425 courtesy of rs25.com)
Got all four wheel bearings replaced(at employee cost for parts courtesy of checkers)
Scored a newer 4.11 JDM transmission(courtesy of RckyMtnLegacy)
& Got new Moog ball joint (thnx 2 Joe at Advanced)
93 impreza rally muffin
89 Nissan 240sx sr20
90 Nissan 240sx 2jz
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice parts list! New ball joints make such a difference in steering feel, its one of the first things I do when I get a new car.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.