Start nut size

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RileyD
In Neutral

Start nut size

Post by RileyD »

I can not for my life figure out the size of this starter nut. I have went to the hardware store and bought every bolt that looks about the right size, but none of them fit. M8 is too small M12 is too big. M10 fits on there just right but I can't figure out the correct pitch. I tried m10x1.00 and it doesn't go on, same with m10x1.25 and m10x1.50. But i'd figure it would be one of those, am I just stupid and I can't get the nut to go on to the stud?

And yes, I have searched all over here, all over nabisco, I can't find anything on this nut size.
macipusy
Third Gear

Re: Start nut size

Post by macipusy »

Maybe it's a 1.75 pitch. I know some of the metric bolts are impossible to find at hardware stores, especially the fine thread metric bolts.

You are talking about the lower starter stud nut....correct? The 17mm hex size?

If you take the starter to a machine shop, they should be able to help you figure out the thread pitch....and might have a nut. I usually have better luck with machine shops then hardware stores around here.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

It's a 17mm nut with 14mm bolt threads So a standard exhaust nut and wide washer will work if you cant find the 17mm nut.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
RileyD
In Neutral

Post by RileyD »

The stud is attached to the transmission I'm pretty sure... I wish I could just find where I put it lmao.
macipusy
Third Gear

Post by macipusy »

I'm retarded....it is attached to the bellhousing. I just had to drill and tap my RS transmission bellhousing to be able to run the ej22t block.

Make sure the threads are not compromised on the stud. If there is a damaged thread, it might make it difficult to get even the correct nut started.
maciek puszynski

01 Impreza | v6 STi RA | 5mt | ej236t
93 Legacy Turbo | TW | 4eat | ej22t
16 WRX | 6mt | fa20
98 Legacy GT | wagon | 5mt | ej25d

2.36L Turbo - RSTi Build
Plazma
First Gear

Post by Plazma »

RileyD wrote:The stud is attached to the transmission I'm pretty sure... I wish I could just find where I put it lmao.

I'm having the same issue with all the screws from my interior center console, had a bag full of screws and such, cannot find them for the life of me my garage is like a black hole.

Have you considered rethreading the stud?