V1/2 TMIC OR V3/4 STI TMIC help?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

batlegacy
First Gear

V1/2 TMIC OR V3/4 STI TMIC help?

Post by batlegacy »

I am in the process of getting a v2 wrx tmic for the car but ran across a v3/4 sti for a better price! Any writeups on how to install either one? Should I go for the v3/4? Any input would be great guys, I have searched high and low and cannot find any diy on the v3/4? I know the v1/2 is plug and play but a few guiding pics would be great too

Either I/C is intended for a 440 greytop upgrade and a mint vf8! So which will help the turbo spool better?

message me if you can help please!
Batlegacy
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: V1/2 TMIC OR V3/4 STI TMIC help?

Post by James614 »

As long as you arent running the VF11 still, they are virtually plug and play. These are both slanted intercoolers, the STI one being silver, right? If so, go with the STI one. However, if its one of the big square STI ones (similar to what the USDM STI has), it wont fit.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
batlegacy
First Gear

Post by batlegacy »

The v2 wrx is slanted the v3/4 is the one that says "tuned by STi" on a namplate at the top, doesnt seem as big as the usdm wrx but similar
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The later intercoolers dont fit size wise, and the blow off valve is way different and incompatible. Might as well get a usdm Wrx tmic if you're even considering the v3/v4. It doesn't fit well either but its way more efficient cooling.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
batlegacy
First Gear

Post by batlegacy »

so the v1/2 it is lol? That plus 440s, a vf8, and a greddy bov with 10lb spring what kind of power gain capabilities am I looking at? Anybody?
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

to fully grasp the potential of this you would need some way to tune it. do you have a fuel cut defender? wideband? boost gauge/controller?
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
batlegacy
First Gear

Post by batlegacy »

No, that is the next step. I was told on here that with stock ecu, slanty 440s and the vf8 were ok upgrades (the ecu will adjust itself). My next step is to get an ems. What is a good option? Robtune, PP6, etc? EMS is definitely murky water for me so a comprehensive but user friendly system would be amazing.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

like i said to grasp the FULL POTENTIAL of this you need to tune it. it will run fine without it for sure. if this is all youre planning to do to it, i would suggest rob's 440 tune. also if you dont have a wideband, boost guage, and boost controller, i would suggest getting those before or near to the same time you want to do all these upgrades. they will give you a much better idea of how your engine is performing at any given time and can prevent something catastrophic from happening!
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I'll second the Robtune, that should really go in with the injectors IMO. Staying at10lbs will be fine on the stock injectors. It will run "fine" with the 440s on the stock ECU, but it will be run rich (which is safe, just inefficient). Thats really up to you i suppose, but they arent hard to get to so theres no reason they *need* to go in with the turbo and intercooler unless you intend on pushing the limits of the stock ECU.

There's other low-buck tuning options.... piggy backs, FCDs, etc. I would strongly recommend skipping that stuff and doing it right the first time with a Robtune ;) Its not exactly cheap, I think its about $500 all-in (ej20g ECU, robs tune, and the ignition converter), but worth it for a setup that runs like the car came stock with those upgrades. Plus Rob will give you things like launch control (or in my case uncontrolled clutch burn), custom red line, custom idle speed, custom fuel cut psi, etc.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll third the robtune. The 440's will run rich as mentioned and it depends, some folks have run them fine on the stock ECU without problems, but others have noticed stalling and other issues due to running rich.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
lucas
Third Gear

Post by lucas »

I use a slant mount one and for the fitment alone its freaking awesome, but i do have one i took off a forester I'm looking to sell has all the piping and is ready to go
1993 legacy ss "Shela"