App for the bbs?

Let us know what you think about the site and the forums and give us your suggestions on how to make them better.

Moderator: Moderators

danialraimes
First Gear

App for the bbs?

Post by danialraimes »

So I'm relatively new to this forum as I'm a relatively new owner of a Legacy. I'm on here day in day out, reading your guys' build journals and trying to learn as much as I can before I embark on a spending spree on my Leggy. My only beef with Legacy Cental is the fact I'm always zooming in to see replies and the photos have to be uploaded using filesharing sites, which means 8000 links.
I'm always on my phone, never at the computer (as the computer doesn't come outside lol) and I'm not sure how many of you guys are like me, I like apps.
I'm not sure at all how much work and effort goes into building an app for this purpose or how much it would cost. But having the site laid out in a mobile application for easy use on the move, with alerts, updates and no more file sharing; would make my life way easier (and probably ruin my relationship with neglect haha)
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, app or not; I'm gonna be on here 24/7anyway.
Thanks you guys.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: App for the bbs?

Post by kimokalihi »

Its a good idea but we don't really have sponsors like nasioc to pay for an app. I think it would cost a lot to develop and the site is pretty basic so it functions well on phones unlike nasioc. I don't use the forum apps because they leave out features that are on the website. They're more of a pain in the ass than they're worth in my experience but obviously that's just my opinion.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
danialraimes
First Gear

Post by danialraimes »

Ahh, yeah well I'm glad someone shined some light. I haven't used nasioc's app before but I'll try it and see. I really have no idea what it'd cost to develop and maintain, especially to try transfer the countless amounts of data from this site to it.
Would be cool though.
I was looking at your build thread earlier buddy, jealous!
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I use Tapatalk to browse the site. It works great IMO.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

danialraimes wrote:Ahh, yeah well I'm glad someone shined some light. I haven't used nasioc's app before but I'll try it and see. I really have no idea what it'd cost to develop and maintain, especially to try transfer the countless amounts of data from this site to it.
Would be cool though.
I was looking at your build thread earlier buddy, jealous!
Thanks. I think tapatalk is what nasioc uses and that's what I didn't like.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I don't mind Tapatalk, I'm a pro user, But it does have some flaws. One of them being I get email notifications, but sometimes the app doesn't notify me. I have not disabled any email notifications because of this, which I would love to do. My inboxes get cluttered.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

I 2nd the tapatalk option. It works very well for what it is.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I don't Carr for tapatalk personally, I just use full sites on my phone. But I guess that depends on your close-range vision and specific type and version of browser.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
86BRATMAN
Second Gear

Post by 86BRATMAN »

Tapatalk hasn't notified me of anything on any forum in over a year, but it's sufficient for browsing, I find the search feature pretty garbage as well. But that's what my browser is for.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't see us developing a forum specific app. Tapatalk is probably the best alternative to browse the BBS using an app. It may not have all the same functionality, but works pretty well for what it is.

We use phpBB, a free bulletin board software for the BBS software. There may be some options or apps out there that may work with phpBB, but as mentioned Tapatalk seems to be the most popular and works relatively well.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm