92 Legacy EJ20g ECU on a 95-96 EJ20g engine

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JimBos Legacy
First Gear

92 Legacy EJ20g ECU on a 95-96 EJ20g engine

Post by JimBos Legacy »

Will this work, trying to find another engine for my car and found one that looks similar. Only differences I see are power steering pump, and the coil packs have one bolt instead of 2 like mine. I’m just wondering if the ecu will connect straight up to this engine. Thanks guys. Let me know if you guys need pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 92 Legacy EJ20g ECU on a 95-96 EJ20g engine

Post by Legacy777 »

I would think if you swap all the electronics from the old engine (if they're different) it should work fine. Are the injectors the same color/flow? If so I don't see why it wouldn't work, but others with direct experience can chime in.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Your legacy ecu will run that wrx motor. There may/may not be electrical differences depending in which market the WRX was sold, but if you swap over your legacy intake manifold and harness, but use the WRX coils you should be good.

The WRX ecus are generally better than the legacy ones, but they don't control your awic pump & other legacy specific things (speed sensitive steering, and perhaps other things I'm not aware of).
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
JimBos Legacy
First Gear

Post by JimBos Legacy »

mike-tracy wrote:Your legacy ecu will run that wrx motor. There may/may not be electrical differences depending in which market the WRX was sold, but if you swap over your legacy intake manifold and harness, but use the WRX coils you should be good.

The WRX ecus are generally better than the legacy ones, but they don't control your awic pump & other legacy specific things (speed sensitive steering, and perhaps other things I'm not aware of).
Gotcha, I don’t think this engine comes with the ECU, and I believe it’s a Japanese engine. Is there anyway I can check to see? Why would I need to swap over the intake manifold? Thanks for the responses guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JimBo

1992 JDM Subaru Legacy GT wagon
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Your legacy ecu may be looking for sensors that don't exist on the WRX manifold. Also, the wiring harness plugs may be different between legacy and wrx. Only way to really tell where it was sold is the barcode on the timing covers, and some googling. It'd not really a big deal if it's, say, an EDM WRX ej20g, because if you swap your stuff over, there's no electronic incompatibility.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.