ATF leak between pump and transmission '93 Legacy

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Accel
In Neutral

ATF leak between pump and transmission '93 Legacy

Post by Accel »

My 1993 FWD Legacy has an ATF leak from the bottom front of the automatic transmission at the joint between the pump housing and transmission case. This is the same as the leak discussed in “ATF Pump Leak” by “912126” viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54734. His photos could be my photos. The leak is from the area marked with the red arrow in the attached parts images.

Like him I’m not keen to pull everything to fix this properly. The paper gasket at this location is compressed by two nuts, marked T3 in the pump parts diagram included below. It seems these are only accessible with the differential case separated from the pump.

I’m wondering if I might be able to tighten these hidden nuts without pulling everything. My questions for the folks who have worked on these in the past are:
  • If I leave the engine and differential alone, would it be possible to pull back the pump housing and transmission from the differential enough to get in between them with a socket or combination wrench to tighten these nuts?
  • What would be involved for a FWD?
  • Can the fasteners at the top of the pump/trans be accessed to separate the pump and diff?
  • What kind of headaches will I create for myself and is it worth it?
  • Am I going to have a hard time getting the differential housing to re-seal to the pump housing?

arse_sidewards
First Gear

Re: ATF leak between pump and transmission '93 Legacy

Post by arse_sidewards »

If you pull the trans back from the diff the input and pump shafts will come out of the torque converter. Aligning them to go back together will be a nightmare if possible at all.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
Accel
In Neutral

Post by Accel »

I hadn't thought of that. That could be a real pain trying to get that to slot back together.

Any advice for someone in my position?

When people take the transmission out the bottom, do they unbolt the torque converter and drop everything (torque, diff, pump and trans)?
Is it better to drop the transmission or pull it with the engine?
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

I pull it from the bottom. Remove CVs, exhaust, etc. I unbolt the torque converter through the access hole on the top.

You need to get the car up decently high in order to get the trans out from underneath. IMO still less work than anything involving pulling the engine.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I removed my AT from the bottom of the car. It is a pain to get out. If you have a lift and or a means to get the car high enough so you can use a transmission jack it will certainly help. Pay attention to the torque converter and that it doesn't get unseated and then pressed back. It could damage where it seats back in the input & pump shafts.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

I would go so far as to say you need two buddies in lieu of a trans jack. You need to get the trans to move for and aft relatively precisely and that's gonna be basically impossible unless you either have a trans jack or whoever is doing the lifting is working at like 50% capacity.

Also, two of these under the LCA bushings get you just barely enough height to slide the trans in/out on the floor after dumping it off the jack.

https://irate4x4.com/attachments/532697 ... eg.427730/

And depending on how rusty your junk is you should just disconnect the pin for the shifter rather than pulling the lever off like the manual recommends. The "just crank on it and rely on the internal stop to keep it from moving" procedure for removing the nut that holds the lever on WILL break the park portion of the the internal lever if your shit is rusty.

Also, the torque converter can't just be seated by "push and spin it until it clicks" like most autos. That method will get you 3/4 clicks but you need to spin a tiny fraction, then push, then repeat until you get the 4th click. Pushing while you spin will result in enough friction to spin the pump and you'll never get it to line up and seat. IMO this is best done with the trans in the car and about to go in because you'll probably unseat it getting it to that point.
icrman
First Gear

Post by icrman »

I have done so on a non working transmission some years ago, that is installing the torque converter, when I tried the as sitting on the pan or installed position, it really messed up the converter bearing and I never got it to engage. What worked good was to stand the transmission on the rear end and installing vertically, that worked just great.