1993 Legacy HVAC blower resister assembly

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

icrman
First Gear

1993 Legacy HVAC blower resister assembly

Post by icrman »

Don't throw out your old one, or original Subaru version. They are though a unit that is designed to fail. There is a terminal that has what is like a metal strip conductor similar to a flat spring that is soldered to it. Two stupid things they did. 1st is using solder, 2nd is the side of the terminal the strip is soldered to the terminal, when the solder melts the spring pulls away and then you only can use high speed on the control switch.
And maybe yeah they are making it act like a fuse, but then all those resistor coils are designed to get hot. And an after market motor could load differently as well or build up of trash can restrict the cooling air to the resistor assy. Anyway my fix for it is to bend the top side (as installed) open and use small needle nose pliers and move that springy, conductor to the other side of the terminal, then I took a cut out tin can lid from a can of beans, and cut a small strip about 3/16 or maybe a bit less wide and bent it in the middle, then snipped off and left it may 3/16 long from the folded end and then pinched it over those terminals to hold them together. Folded the little flaps back over. Seems to work okay now.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Re: 1993 Legacy HVAC blower resister assembly

Post by arse_sidewards »

pics?
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
icrman
First Gear

Post by icrman »

I will do so when I can. If this site does not allow the pics directly loaded here it won't happen. I refuse to do that hosting crap.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here's there picture.

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
icrman
First Gear

Post by icrman »

Notice the small band or conductor in the center of the 2 long conductors. That band is normally soldered to the bottom of the middle contact point it touches. It also has a bit of spring to it so when it heats up it melts the solder and flys off that contact. So like I said above you can use some small needle nose pliers and bend that band to the top as per the photo , then bend the little piece of steel over both the contact and the band to hold it there and to make a good contact. So far it is still working great. The use of solder and locating the band on the bottom is just plain bad design work.

Again never toss the OEM part they are made way better than the ones available now.