95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Spunkybchap
In Neutral

95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Post by Spunkybchap »

Hi, need some help if possible. My impreza is almost finished but I have a few kinks left and it's stumping me. We did a ej22t swap into the impreza using the engine harness and jdm wrx ecu from my 94 wagon due to bad rust on it. I made sure the wagon was running great before swap (I did no upgrades or changed anything during swap) so I could rule out issues and it was running fine. It runs great but about every 5-10 min the engine will just die, doesn't matter whether I'm applying gas or at a stop. I just turn key off and it starts right back up no problem and is fine for another 5-10 min (it did not do this in the wagon). I have changed main relay, fuel pump relay, swapped maf and the aem fuel pump was new right before swap, but it's not acting like fuel issue but electrical. It's like I turned the key almost to the off position. Any ideas of where to start looking???
95 impreza coupe ej22t 2.5dohc swap, 5 speed swap, brembos, bc coilovers, sti seats and sti go fast stuff :D
Spunkybchap
In Neutral

Re: 95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Post by Spunkybchap »

I tried a few times to try and narrow down results on the dying issue. It does it after 5 min of driving but no more than 7 min, it did not turn off lights or radio each time it did it. None of the dummy lights come up on dash when it dies, I can pump throttle several times and it will sometimes fire back up for a second but it's like limp mode, the rpms just bounce up and down but won't go above 2k. I have to turn key off and restart for it to be normal again. It always starts right back when I recycle the key, has never not started back. I tried a few times of just starting the car and idle and it would never do it if I just let it idle, but as soon as I went and drove it then it did it after 5 min. It does have some trouble starting on first start and will throw code 12 if I just keep cranking on it but if I cycle key and retry about 6 times it will fire up.
95 impreza coupe ej22t 2.5dohc swap, 5 speed swap, brembos, bc coilovers, sti seats and sti go fast stuff :D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 95 impreza ej22t swap keeps dying while driving

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS and sorry no one has replied yet.

To make sure I am understanding the issue. You had an ej22t swap in an Impreza wagon and due to rust issues you swapped the engine and harness into a 95 Impreza?

I had an issue in the past with my Legacy where it was sometimes randomly die. It turned out to be the MAF sensor. Do you have a spare MAF sensor you can try?

I agree the issue sounds like electrical. Probably the first thing I would do is check all the sensors to make sure they are good and in-spec to what is in the Subaru factory manual as well as check the wiring from the sensor back to the ECU.

Does the timing change if the car is cold vs. hot? Do you have another ECU you try as a test ECU to rule that out?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm