Aluminum LCA weight difference verified.

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jefferson
Third Gear

Aluminum LCA weight difference verified.

Post by jefferson »

I am finally getting around to putting my aluminums LCA's on the car due to the lower ball joints being bad and I took the opportunity to put a whiteline roll center kit on as I lowered the car about an inch when I put the 04 STI strut and springs on. The results will have to wait as I didn't know the front bushing was a different length from the STI piece and my tech didn't either so I can't put them on right now. I'm pretty excited to get this project done and see what difference it makes with the roll center kit.
I did get weights on everything before I had to put the stk. stuff back on the car. The total for the stk steel stuff was 11.95 lbs. and the aluminum total was 7.39 lbs. with a total savings of 3.19 lbs. and that is per side. The rear bushing was .64 lbs. lighter and the arm itself was 2.55 lbs. lighter which the arm is unsprung weight which makes a bigger difference. I did lighten and cleanup the aluminum arm by removing and smoothing all the casting seams that were present. This saved .03 lbs per arm, but mainly they look alot better this way.
With very close to 300,000 on the car the stock ball joints held up very well. Whiteline din't have an application for our cars, but searching on here I found everyone used the same part number that they show so I talked to them and got them to send me one. I am going to notify them that the part number works for the 1st gen. Legacies in case it helps someone else who is looking.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
cartwheels
Second Gear

Re: Aluminum LCA weight difference verified.

Post by cartwheels »

Good work! Can't wait to hear how you like it once the aluminum control arms are installed.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

I think i am going to grind down the too long STI bushing in the front, but I don't have a good measurement on how long it should be. Does anyone have a accurate measurement on the stock bushing length. It would be a big help if someone did.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Which bushing? The little front one that's in the LCA and gets bolted into the crossmember? I'll measure a stock arm from my pile when I get home tonight.
'93, '93 and '94 Legacy L, wagons, FWD and AWD, all are NA 2.2 w/ 4EAT.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Yes, that's the bushing, the one that is pressed into the LCA in the front.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

2.410"

Fair warning, I have a pretty good stash of LCAs and there's one set out of 3 that are from an '04 Forester. If that number seems way off let me know and I'll measure a different one.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

That is the same length as the STI bushings that are in the arms. See if you have some that are shorter. It sounds like you should have.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

Sorry. I'll dig some older arms out of the pile this weekend. I think you'd be fine to just grind them down to match the crossmember. I'd be more concerned about getting it straight/flat than getting the dimension exact.
arse_sidewards
First Gear

Post by arse_sidewards »

And the answer is.... 2.150" (almost certainly from a '97 Legacy Outback not that it matters)
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Thanks a bunch. That is just the info I need.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Got the bushings all ground down and flat which took a long time as to get an accurate measurement they had to be cool and I wasn't really taking as much off as I would have thought. I did not get to use the rear bushings in the aluminum housings as they were too thick and the bolt holes were off by quite a bit. So if anyone needs a set I have brand new ones to sell.
I also had a problem with the Whitline ball joints as they were a smidge too tall and didn't go in far enough to get the bolt in. Had to do some grinding on the shell of the ball joint to where the bolt would go through. I also saw a video of a guy in the UK that does time attack with a highly modified STI and he installed a Whitleline roll center kit which lasted 6 laps and had play in it. Doesn't bode well for longevity. Of course I won't be putting those kind of forces through it, but still.
Got an appointment for an alignment tomorrow which it really needs. Then I should be able to tell something.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Let us know how the car drives/feels after the alignment.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

The car does corner flatter now. It is noticeable. I don't drive my test loop anymore that had the cloverleaf where I would push things a bit. I was pushing the speed up when I would go through there and was at the point where the front end would just start pushing and I don't even remember what speed that was it has been so long. Seems all I do with the car anymore is back and forth to work when they call (different employer) and there is no where to make things interesting.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the feedback and letting us know. If you get somewhere that you can push the car let us know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
91legacyLS
In Neutral

Post by 91legacyLS »

Quick question jefferson, I just went and picked up a set of aluminum control arms for my SS, and was curious what you did to attach your sway bar to the different mounting bracket style on them? And when you ground down the bushing did you try to do it equally to both sides of the metal collar part of the bushing or just take it all off one side?
-1991 Subaru Legacy SS 6mt swapped
-1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon NA Rallyx car
-1991 Subaru Legacy Stage Car Project
rexhunta
In Neutral

Post by rexhunta »

91legacyLS wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:08 am Quick question jefferson, I just went and picked up a set of aluminum control arms for my SS, and was curious what you did to attach your sway bar to the different mounting bracket style on them? And when you ground down the bushing did you try to do it equally to both sides of the metal collar part of the bushing or just take it all off one side?

I used the swaybar links that came off the same car the LCAs were on which was a GD bugeye, but used the gen 1 Swaybar ( also used the GD hubs, axles. ) Also these LCAs are wider then the BC, I had to screw out my tie rods quite a bit and they're still nowhere near being right, will have to stringline align to get the car to the alignment shop.

91legacyLS
In Neutral

Post by 91legacyLS »

rexhunta wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 am
91legacyLS wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:08 am Quick question jefferson, I just went and picked up a set of aluminum control arms for my SS, and was curious what you did to attach your sway bar to the different mounting bracket style on them? And when you ground down the bushing did you try to do it equally to both sides of the metal collar part of the bushing or just take it all off one side?

I used the swaybar links that came off the same car the LCAs were on which was a GD bugeye, but used the gen 1 Swaybar ( also used the GD hubs, axles. ) Also these LCAs are wider then the BC, I had to screw out my tie rods quite a bit and they're still nowhere near being right, will have to stringline align to get the car to the alignment shop.

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the info, I will order up some GD sway bar end links. Rexhunta, what did you do for making the bushing fit, something similar to what Jefferson describes? My other question was going to be if the lower ball joint needed to be updated but you avoided that by using the later hub assembly. And noted on the adjusting the tie rod length, was planning on an alignment after install anyway.
-1991 Subaru Legacy SS 6mt swapped
-1991 Subaru Legacy Wagon NA Rallyx car
-1991 Subaru Legacy Stage Car Project
rexhunta
In Neutral

Post by rexhunta »

91legacyLS wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:08 pm
rexhunta wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:47 am

Awesome stuff! Thanks for the info, I will order up some GD sway bar end links. Rexhunta, what did you do for making the bushing fit, something similar to what Jefferson describes? My other question was going to be if the lower ball joint needed to be updated but you avoided that by using the later hub assembly. And noted on the adjusting the tie rod length, was planning on an alignment after install anyway.
Yes did the same as what he did, I only needed to take off bare minimum to slot it in. I would check that your track is still going to be the same from front to rear. My car has the complete GD rear cradle in the back, which pushed the rear track out 80mm, which is why I put the front control arms in match.