New Scam on Car sales?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

New Scam on Car sales?

Post by Redlined »

I made a financial mistake. Not a big one, just enough to put a squeeze on monthly living. I decided to sell my 2008 Subaru Legacy To take the heat off.

I have had three calls in a row on the car. they start out asking a few baseline questions about the car, Then Request a VIN report on the car. at first I though this was reasonable and worked twords getting them what they where asking. The first one I got my links messed up and got the wrong VIN report in PDF format and downloaded it. The guy responded that it was the wrong one, he wanted one from a specific sight. I looked it up and it was $27. This morning I only had $3 in my bank account and spent one of them buying a subscription so I could get the VIN report I already had.

The One I had wasnt good enough and he would only accept one from a specific sight. I told him I couldnt afford it and he said He had "cash in hand", "am not bartering or negotiating" thought I "was asking a fair price" and felt it was a "Fair request".

When I offered to drive the car to where he was so he could inspect it he got mad.

The next two calls where almost the same. Thery where interested in the car and wanted a VIN report, the one I had wasnt good enough and they would only accept one from a specific sight (Changed each time but was always a $30-$50 charge). They always said they had "Cash in hand" "am not bartering or negotiating" " Was asking a fair price"(for the car)and felt it was a "Fair request".

Now maybe I am just paranoid but three different people refusing the report I have only accepting a report from specific sights (Different each time)and making identical comments verbatim is awfully suspicious.

Anyone familier with anything similar?
Dave
Site Admin

Re: New Scam on Car sales?

Post by Legacy777 »

Dave,

Carfax is probably the best VIN report that I've seen. What site(s) are they referring you to? It sounds very fishy.

If you share the sites I can check them out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

I bought one from "Bumper.com" because they had a $1 trial (just remember to unsubscribe or they hit you with $20 per month recurring billing)

The First Guy wanted a report from AutoReportsLab.com ($27) The second guy wanted a report from NationalAppraisalReport.com ($27) I cant find the third but it was also a sight I am unfamiliar with an I recall they wanted $36.

Carfax I am at least familir with, but not one of the peeps requested a report from there.

also I got a message from a guy that would only deal through email. When i contacted him through Email I got a response from someone else who explained they where just getting married and moving but had a friend with a shipping business to move "The item". (edit wasnt a friends business, just someone helping them with their wedding)

Needless to say that email set off so many warning flares I thought the 4th of July came early!
Last edited by Redlined on Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

copy of "The Email"tm

Hello Thanks for your quick response, We are very interested and OK with the price but I am very sorry I wouldn't be able to come down to your location due to the Corona-virus (covid-19) , Also My partner and I are getting married in few weeks, Planning on starting our new life close to his new job. We've been very busy with all the preparations, I am so excited. We have a personal delivery service that will pick up the item right after you receive your payment, they have been helping us with our moving and other deliveries as well. We will mail Out Certified Cashier Check payment right away & We can schedule the date and time for the pick up right after payment has been cleared/Funds Posted in your account, Hope I can trust you with the check payment? I pray that God will also send you an Angel where you least expect.

I will make arrangement for pick-up . Please Kindly get back to me with below details as we proceed asap.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Regarding the email, you can usually try and find the originating IP address and that will tell you where they're located or at least the server.

Yeah....I wouldn't deal with any of that. If it "smells" fishy, it likely is.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Yeah...those are scammers getting you to buy 'their' report. And anyone who gets 'mad' is another bad sign. And the Buyer is responsible for the VIN report unless you're @ a dealer, in my experience.

AutoCheck has the same history info, but usually w/out the maintenance/service details in the Carfax.
You can buy either Carfax and Autochecks here for cheaper ($6.61) - Yes, I've used them: https://www.gooffood.com/

I know you're selling, but for FREE go here, register (free) and put in the VIN or license plate to get the same maintance history as shown on the Carfax: http://mycarfax.com/
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T