Code 45 - Fuel Cut

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

superstock2
In Neutral

Code 45 - Fuel Cut

Post by superstock2 »

I've got a 1993 L with a full SS drivetrain and engine swap. I picked it up not running. Previous owner didn't know why it wouldn't start. Engine was out of time and after re-timing it fired right up. It had a bunch of vac leaks which I fixed. It now runs and drives great but I'm getting fuel cut at anything over 20% throttle. I replaced the pressure sensor with no luck. I also attempted to clear the codes in the ECU and am either not sure if I did it incorrectly or the code came back immediately. Wondering where to go from here. Any help is greatly appreciated.
93' Legacy Sedan w/ Full SS swa
jefferson
Third Gear

Re: Code 45 - Fuel Cut

Post by jefferson »

I had that and it was a vacuum line off the bottom of the pressure sensor if I remember right.
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

On the turbo cars, code 45 is the pressure sensor and pressure exchange solenoid valve. I would suggest checking all the vacuum lines and the pressure exchange solenoid to ensure it's functioning properly.

If you do all that and are still having issues then I'd suggest checking the wiring of the pressure sensor as well as pressure exchange solenoid. You can find links to the factory manuals on my server in the stuff you need to know forum.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

"What Josh Said"...and I'd be suspect of the wiring @ the ECU.

If the PO did a full harness swap, then the wiring should be there to the ECU, but since there are only about 6 wires extra for the Turbo's ECU, it's possible they just added them for the Turbo Sensors – On passenger strut tower:
o Pressure Exchange, Boost Control Solenoid (BCS) (aka Wastegate Control), and MAP sensors

See this: viewtopic.php?t=45769
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
superstock2
In Neutral

Post by superstock2 »

Bumping this back up. I pulled the ECU and checked all the wires, all the connections seemed good. I did find a poor splice job and on the map sensor wire which I repaired. Left the ecu hanging to test and the car ran fine. Reinstalled the ECU and the check engine light came back. Checked all the connections and one of the plugs was poorly seated (I hate the ecu location in these cars lol) so i figured that was the issue. Started the car again and the CEL was still there. took the ecu back out, checked all the connections again and everything seemed okay. left it hanging and started the car and low and behold, no CEL. Any thoughts on this? Repin the wire on the plug to the ecu?
93' Legacy Sedan w/ Full SS swa
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you check the code, clear the code, and then check the code again is the code that comes up code 45? If so, I would suggest checking the wiring on the MAP sensor and pressure exchange solenoid from the ECU plug to the sensor plugs and verify everything is ok. If all that checks out ok check the sensors and also look closely at the solder connections around those pins at the ECU connector to the circuit board for solder cracks.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm